• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Flash Gordon

Recoil

Regular
This being a Sci-Fi board, I'm surprised that no one has even commented on this yet, good or bad. Did you all know that Sci-Fi Channel is premiering a new series on Friday, "Flash Gordon"?

At first when I saw something on it, I was at least mildly interested. Re-tellings seem to be the thing these days, and they did good by BSG. However after all of 5 minutes researching the show, I think my mild interested faded to "well, I guess I can TiVo it and watch check it out if I have NOTHING better to do."

It seems they aren't trying to do the original much justice at all. NO spaceship first of all. Man, as a kid watching that short cartoon series, I loved his ship. I realize this is a different day and age, but still, how can you have Flash Gordon without a spaceship?

Then I started reading some plot and series commentaries. You know, since I know they aren't going to have a ship, was this because of low budget? Are they doing something different? I wanted to get a general idea of what I might be in for.

Well the common joke seems to be that this is Stargate III: Flash Gordon. I'm not sure how true some of these rumors are, but we will find out soon enough. Here is a general synopsis of what will be going down, according to these rumors:

Flash Gordon doesn't travel around in a spaceship, he uses wormholes (Stargate) to explore from Earth from a central base (Stargate Command) and fight the evil Mingh the Merciless (G'ould Apophis) while at the same time he is looking for his lost father (Dan Jackson looking for his missing wife).

Wow.

Wow.

Talk about taking a 10 year old concept for a TV series, smacking a different name on it, and shipping it out. If it turns out to be like this, I will laugh.

Anyone heard anything different? Anyone even going to check this out?

i heard about, but that's all, i will probably download it and check it out, but if it turns out like you think it will, then it could well suck hard.

You can't out do the original black and white serials. The acting and plotting was so bad at times, it was good.

Well, I stick a VHS tape in every Friday night to record Dr. Who, and watch itSaturday morning, so, I'll just let the tape run long enough to get Flash Gordon as well. I was fairly interested in checking it out, like you I was thinking, "Well BSG is done real well, Flash Gordon with a Dark Gritty edge could be quite good". Now you've peed in my Cheerios and my ex[ectations are lowered. Aw well, we'll see Saturday morning if it's worth bothering with.

That is pretty good. :)

One of my favorite kind-of-over-the-top lines I've ever heard in science fiction was from an old Dr. Who episode. (I have Dr. Who on the brain for some reason today.) Reading the charges against Davros, the evil maker of the horrible Daleks, is being tried for "crimes against all of sentient creation".

:LOL:

It's valid, it's true, but... I can't help but giggle a bit. "Ah, if he plea-bargains will the charges be reduced to "sentient-creation-slaughter against all of sentient creation?"

;)

It also reflects a sort of "if you are going to sin, go for a really big, gratifying one" attitude.

Last edited:
we all know that even if it was a really crap movie it would still rule just for the theme music, i really hate queen but it is a very cool song.

i was pissed off when i bought it in DVD, it cost me £15 and two weeks later the bells and whistles edition came out and only cost £10.

we all know that even if it was a really crap movie it would still rule just for the theme music, i really hate queen but it is a very cool song.

This also requires a gratuitious link. However it should make everyone happy as it has some of the cheesiest/classic quotes in it. Namely:

"Gordon's Alive!"

"Flash, Flash I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!"

and

"Send war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"

This also requires a gratuitious link. However it should make everyone happy as it has some of the cheesiest/classic quotes in it. Namely:

"Gordon's Alive!"

"Flash, Flash I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!"

and

"Send war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"

"Gordon's Alive!" sounds like a perfectly normal line. Is it funny to fans because it's a running joke (like Kenny on South Park)?

"Gordon's Alive!" sounds like a perfectly normal line. Is it funny to fans because it's a running joke (like Kenny on South Park)?

it's the way brian blessed says it, i love the guy, i remember when he swore on childrens tv, that was really funny.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back