• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Old Navy commercials & other random annoyances

What is up with the Old Navy commercials? Do they actually want people to buy their clothes, or are they on a misguided mission of global annoyance?

I've actually been in need of some new clothes recently, and have had to "settle" on a few shirts from Sears & JC Penneys that I only partially liked (the budget factor forced the compromise). I've actually been tempted to go the Old Navy store while passing between Sears & JC Penneys in the mall. But, then I remember the Old Navy commercials, and I can't bring myself to enter the store, much less give them money.

And is Old Navy really doing that much business that their employees have to wear mic-headsets like they're part of NASA flight control in Houston? I mean are they selling jeans and sweaters, or are they monitoring the space shuttle?

And, speaking of mic-headsets, or whatever they're called, even Jimmy Swaggert is using one. First, Old Navy employees, then questionable TV evangelists.

Why don't we all just have cell phone parts implanted in our skulls so that we can automatically communicate with whatever electronic devices we dial into. Then, if we arrange for multi-line conference calls with each others' brains, it will be just like we're all telepathic, and we can communicate with each other over a variety of mediums at all times.

And, speaking of cell phones, am I the only human in the civilized world who doesn't own one. Is it wrong of me to not want to be reached at any given time?

Wow, that Old Navy commercial must have touched a nerve. Maybe I just need to go to bed. More fiber in the diet perhaps?

Man, I really hate those Old Navy commercials too. I'm just glad that the old lady with the huge black glasses isn't in them anymore. I had to turn the channel whenever I saw her. She annoyed the hell out of me.

I honestly don't understand their marketing strategy. I'm ashamed to say that I have bought clothing at Old Navy before, mainly because of how cheap it is there.

Why don't we all just have cell phone parts implanted in our skulls so that we can automatically communicate with whatever electronic devices we dial into. Then, if we arrange for multi-line conference calls with each others' brains, it will be just like we're all telepathic, and we can communicate with each other over a variety of mediums at all times.

And, speaking of cell phones, am I the only human in the civilized world who doesn't own one. Is it wrong of me to not want to be reached at any given time?

I haven't seen the Old Navy commercial.

You may think you are joking about the cell phone implants, but they are working on them now! I don't own a cell phone either. I like to joke that the reason they are called "cell" phones is because they've always got you where they can get to you if they want you, just as if you were locked in a cell. ;)
I have a friend who teaches, and owns several businesses. He keeps his cell phone in an attache case, in the trunk of his car. That way, he only gets it out when HE wants to. I, too, hate the idea of being "on call" everywhere I go.

In the Old Navy stores that I frequent, they are big enough that I can see a reason for the headsets. And I do like the clothes they sell.

But, yes, the Christmas commercials are so annoying, I flip the channel the instant one comes on.

Think middle-class white families who want clothes in abundance and cheap for their kids.

Every time I visit the nephews and nieces at least one is wearing Old Navy. Why? I do not know. I am not aware of their commercials, actually. I saw some years ago but can't recall seeing any lately. But that could reflect my t.v. viewing habits.

Old Navy and Target have some the most idiotic commercials that make the least amount of sense.

In response to the cell phone ranting, I will merely point out that they can be turned off, rendering the "prison cell" sentiment moot.

At this point, for many people, it is more practical and cost effective to have a cell instead of a land line. With cell phones and cable internet, I will never have a land line again.

I attribute the Old Navy commercials to being part of the fashion industry, which to me is more cryptic than quantum physics. I just don't get any of it. Gap commercials, with the "hip" skinny kids snapping fingers and singing don't make any sense either, nor do the Calvin Klein ads with B&W pics of models that look like Auschwitz victims. I now call CK underwear "Holocaust gear."

My favorite major chain store: Banana Republic. Pricey, but lasts a long time and real nice stuff.

I'm with Old Mighty...Old Navy is for flip flops. Banana Republic is much better (much more expensive as well). Their commercials used to be cute, but it's gotten tired.

Yes, you are. ;)

Actually, I own a cell phone but it is never turned on unless I'm expecting a call or I need to make one. I have a strong desire not to be reached at all times. I'm becoming a fuddy duddy that way. I went out to lunch yesterday and three of the four tables around me had people getting calls during lunch. Only one of them made it short. The woman next to me ate her entire lunch talking about buying bras and getting a manicure later. :rolleyes: Of course she had to speak much louder than normal because it was so noisy in the restaurant. I long for the days when people had to go to a pay phone in a restaurant to talk to someone.

I REALLY like the Virgin Mobile cell phone comercial.

Merry Christma-hanik-kwanzi-ca to everyone!

If I don't want to talk to someone I just don't answer when I see there number pop up. Vibrate or silent means I don't even have to turn the thing off.

Old Navy commercials are part of the reason I've never gone into one.

There's a range of clothes called Banana Republic ?

I guess that we don't have this 'Old Navy" here. Just what are they?

Okay - confession time - I've never really taken much notice of clothing brands. One, because I simply cannot afford expensive clothes - some of them cost more than I get in a week. And two, I am on the large side,and finding clothes that fit can be difficult. So, if something fits, is comfortable, looks good on me, and is affordable, then I buy it. I should also add that I work in a thrift shop, and quite a lot of my clothes come from there.

As for cellphones - I don't own one - yet. I've always been kind of late when it comes to the technology revolution. I only got a CD-player three years ago, got my first computer about four years ago.
I suspect that eventually I will own a cellphone. They will become so cheap that anyone can afford one - and it will become something of a necessity.
You see them everywhere now - you see people talking to themselves on busses - then realise they're on a cellphone.
You see kids at busstops busy texting away. They ring in theatres and restaurants - even at funerals.

The wide use of cellphones was even predicted by Raymond Bradbury. He wrote a story called "The Murderer", where everyone chats to each other on wristwatch phones. but no-one is actually talking to each other. And one guy gets so annoyed, that he blows the system so that all the wristwatch phones go haywire, and people actually have to talk to one another. And everyone thinks the guy is nuts.
I don't think there are wristwatch cellphones yet - although I could be wrong. And no doubt, someone is probably working on something like that - you can put cellphones on your keychains after all.

And no doubt, someone has written a book on cellphone etiquette.

B5Nutz, not sure about your country, but, here in the States, some Cell Phone Plans give you a cell phone for signing up with them, you just pay the monthly charges, minutes, or however your plan is rated.

Latest posts

Members online

Back