B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 9th 04, 01:52   #1
RW7427

Shadow War Question

I was watching Ship of Tears and Interludes and Examinations tonight, and I had this question...

When the Shadows first started attacking the League worlds openly, it was the Brakiri that they attacked first. Why was that? Why the Brakiri? I wondered if there was any significance to that or if it was random. Acocording to this starmap: B5 Star Map Brakiri space is nowhere near Z'Ha'dum? Why would they go all the over to the other side of known space to attack the Brakiri?

Anyone have any thoughts?
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th 04, 02:13   #2
Strifeguard
Dead Account

Re: Shadow War Question

I'd have 2 things to say:

First, remember that the Shadow's original attack plan specifically centered around driving a group of refugees towards a central region, so they could be wiped out all at once. As such, they frequently jumped back-and-forth across the galaxy without hitting targets between their attack sites. Hitting the Brakiri first was probably just the initial step in this attack plan, so the distance from Za'Ha'Dum doesn't even figure into it.

The second thing I'd just like to point out is that I don't know how "accurate" that starmap is supposed to be. It may be officially sanctioned, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. For example, we know from (the episode escapes me at the moment, I will try to look it up later) a meeting between Morden and Londo that the Centauri Republic is located in a spiral arm. (The two "divide the galaxy" and the Centauri are "granted" an entire spiral arm, it seems silly if the Centauri Republic wasn't contained in that arm to begin with) However, the starmap you've linked to doesn't contain spiral-arms. As such, I wonder if its actually representative of the B5 galaxy as JMS imagined it, or if its just thrown-together for convience and RP purposes.
Strifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th 04, 05:41   #3
Woundweaver
Lurker

The star map seems to not take into acount that there is actually 3 dimensions, the space of a milimeter on the map might actually be a lot bigger due to the extra distance of ups and downs, the only way to fully map space would be for a 3D model.

And yes, the Shadow's stratergy would explain why the Brakiri, other than that, probably because they are one of the less military strong races in the League(in comparison to say, the Drazi.) so they were easier to kill...

Nick
Woundweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th 04, 12:16   #4
RW7427

Ah, good points! Thanks!
Old July 11th 04, 10:50   #5
GeoKuutio
First One

Hmm... I have a B5 Galaxy map which... well. Does not correspond that map entirely. It's a lot bigger and has a lot of more details. Well, all in all, it's much better. I think. But... Z'ha'dum is down there? Mmm.. Err.. Wasn't Z'ha'dum pretty near Narn regime's area? Or not close... But I mean... to me, that location of Z'ha'dum is pretty far fetched.

I've uploaded the B5 map which I used in my references. It's made by Shawn Weixelman. And in my opinion it is a lot better than... well.. that "original" one. The "New B5 Galaxy 2258" as it is called... Well, click here.
GeoKuutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th 04, 13:38   #6
RW7427

Oooh, that's cool!
Old July 11th 04, 14:47   #7
rangerPHIL
Dead Account

the map is really good

rangerPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th 04, 00:48   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Very pretty, but I do wonder about his sources. Has he sat down and worked from first principles (i.e. the episodes themselves) or did he just make it all up?

Also Z'ha'dum isn't on the map, not even as Alpha Omega 3.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th 04, 01:34   #9
Kosomot
Ranger

I am not sure about the second map but the first map linked to in this thread is an official map and the creators (Mongoose) had access to alot of background material from WB/JMS as I understand it.

Their B5 source material is also reputed to be very accurate and thorough although I have not perused it personally.
Kosomot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th 04, 11:04   #10
Elric
Ambassador

One other fact with the Mongoose material is that everything they do has to be approved by Warner and by JMS himself, so it is reasonably safe to assume that it is pretty accurate
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote