• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Netflix's Live Action Cowboy Bebop

Kyehlar

Regular
Way back in November 2018, Netflix officially announced its live-action Cowboy Bebop. Inspired by the beloved anime series that aired in the late ’90s, this live-action take has been in the works for a while. But now we have two key things: first look images and a premiere date. The genre-bending space Western will debut on Netflix on November 19. And as for the images? They definitely call back to the original anime.

https://nerdist.com/article/cowboy-bebop-live-action-first-look-images-premiere-date-netflix/

I love the look. I was wondering how they'd change up Faye's look (I mean, how realistic is that anime outfit.) and I think they've done a great job with the obvious homages to the original.

I don't have Netflix, but I loved the original Cowboy Bebop. I have it on DVD, but never have time to watch it, or B5, sadly.

The intro sequence was bang on the money.

Bit unsure how I feel about what looks like a direct adaptation into live action, but I'll check it out for sure. Love the original anime.

Bit unsure how I feel about what looks like a direct adaptation into live action, but I'll check it out for sure. Love the original anime.
From what I've read they have said it's not going to be a direct adaptation of the anime series. Yeah a lot of the iconic scenes have been recreated, but...

According to Nemec, the live-action series is not going to “ape the anime” but “live in the spirit” of the series. “There are obviously things that we cannot achieve with real people that an anime can,” Nemec says. Instead, the series will “build out the continuing stories of Spike Spiegel and Jet Black and Faye Valentine.”
https://www.ign.com/articles/cowboy-bebop-netflix-ed-yoko-kanno

Well shit...

That was fast: Netflix has canceled its ambitious, widely hyped and, ultimately, widely disappointing anime adaptation Cowboy Bebop, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The move comes less than three weeks after the show’s Nov. 19 debut on the streaming service.

The space Western had a rough reception. The 10-episode series garnered only a 46 percent positive critics rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. Fans seemed to agree, giving the show a 56 percent positive audience score on the site. According to Netflix’s Top 10 site, the series has racked up almost 74 million viewing hours worldwide since its debut – so it got plenty of sampling out of the gate – but it plummeted 59 percent for the week of Nov. 29-Dec. 5.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cowboy-bebop-canceled-netflix-1235060256

"It was a mercy killing." - Meatloaf

Yeah I have to say that I binged the first three episodes last Saturday and haven't had a big desire to continue. I plan to watch it, but the sights and sounds were all that grabbed me. The acting and plot just seemed lacking for me.

"It was a mercy killing." - Meatloaf

Yeah I have to say that I binged the first three episodes last Saturday and haven't had a big desire to continue. I plan to watch it, but the sights and sounds were all that grabbed me. The acting and plot just seemed lacking for me.

They fundamentally missed the point of the anime. Good stand alone episodes that can do anything. The Vicious plot line isn't the backbone of the story and we don't need endless extrapolation of that narrative.

It looked the part and I mostly liked the cast, but it definitely lacked the heart and sense of fun of the original anime. May as well just re-watch the original, which is a stone cold classic of the genre.

We always have the 'unofficial adaptation' aka Firefly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back