B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 26th 03, 02:41   #21
FlipperPA
First One

Re: Vorlons and jamming Shadow vessels

I've always thought that a thousand years ago, the Minbari were pretty much the equivalent to the war that the Drazi were circa ~ 2260. The point of the never ending war was the on going building up - and, tearing down - of all the lower races. While a "most evolved race" must have always been present in every one of these recurring wars, it must have been viewed as an accomplishment by the Vorlons, and an annoyance by the Shadows.

The reason, in 2261, that things changed was that ALL the lower races joined together as a single voice, a single race... the "younger" race.

While the Vorlons / Shadows conflict could have been the coolest thing to see ever, in the sense of watching Van Damme and Steven Seagall, the intellectual edge of the overall story of Bab-5 prevents these sorts of things from happening.

This continues to make me happy.

And visit this forum.

-Tim
FlipperPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 02:41   #22
FlipperPA
First One

I've always thought that a thousand years ago, the Minbari were pretty much the equivalent to the war that the Drazi were circa ~ 2260. The point of the never ending war was the on going building up - and, tearing down - of all the lower races. While a "most evolved race" must have always been present in every one of these recurring wars, it must have been viewed as an accomplishment by the Vorlons, and an annoyance by the Shadows.

The reason, in 2261, that things changed was that ALL the lower races joined together as a single voice, a single race... the "younger" race.

While the Vorlons / Shadows conflict could have been the coolest thing to see ever, in the sense of watching Van Damme and Steven Seagall, the intellectual edge of the overall story of Bab-5 prevents these sorts of things from happening.

This continues to make me happy.

And visit this forum.

-Tim
FlipperPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 11:13   #23
MartinRoth
First One

Quote:
The point of the never ending war was the on going building up - and, tearing down - of all the lower races.
That's roughly what I thought. The Shadows never actually intended to win, just to "knock over the anthills". So they had to stop before the Minbari were actually defeated.

Of course, they couldn't let the younger races know this, so they had to appear to be defeated gradually, since if they suddenly surrendered when they appeared on the verge of victory, it'd raise suspicions.

Hm. Interesting, that last bit. Sounds quite familiar. Think JMS might've planned it that way?
MartinRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 11:13   #24
MartinRoth
First One

Quote:
The point of the never ending war was the on going building up - and, tearing down - of all the lower races.
That's roughly what I thought. The Shadows never actually intended to win, just to "knock over the anthills". So they had to stop before the Minbari were actually defeated.

Of course, they couldn't let the younger races know this, so they had to appear to be defeated gradually, since if they suddenly surrendered when they appeared on the verge of victory, it'd raise suspicions.

Hm. Interesting, that last bit. Sounds quite familiar. Think JMS might've planned it that way?
MartinRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 12:09   #25
RW7427

So are you saying that the Shadows allowed themselves to be defeated so that the Minbari could go on to become one First Ones in their own right?
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 12:09   #26
RW7427

So are you saying that the Shadows allowed themselves to be defeated so that the Minbari could go on to become one First Ones in their own right?
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 14:42   #27
vacantlook

Quote:
I was always curious as to how/when Kosh put part of his conciousness into Sheridan.
Kosh first manifested a mind-to-mind connection in the episode "All Alone In The Night" when Sheridan had been captured by the Streibs (if I remember correctly). Do you think there could be a possiblity that Kosh showed up and implanted part of his consciousness in Sheridan while the Streibs had him unconscious and then left before Delenn and Hague showed up and attacked?

Quote:
Minbari were pretty much the equivalent to the war that the Drazi were circa ~ 2260
With the Minbari being so much less advanced, it makes me wonder, aside from them and the Vorlons, who else fought on "the side of light" back then. Maybe the Walkers of Sigma-957 played a larger role in the war with the Shadows a thousand years ago and had a bit of conflict with the Vorlons about the conducting of the war leading to them being so pissed at hearing the name Vorlon when Ivanova and Marcus found them. Of course this is probably just extremely high speculation on my part, but sometimes it's fun to think about the possiblities.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 14:42   #28
vacantlook

Quote:
I was always curious as to how/when Kosh put part of his conciousness into Sheridan.
Kosh first manifested a mind-to-mind connection in the episode "All Alone In The Night" when Sheridan had been captured by the Streibs (if I remember correctly). Do you think there could be a possiblity that Kosh showed up and implanted part of his consciousness in Sheridan while the Streibs had him unconscious and then left before Delenn and Hague showed up and attacked?

Quote:
Minbari were pretty much the equivalent to the war that the Drazi were circa ~ 2260
With the Minbari being so much less advanced, it makes me wonder, aside from them and the Vorlons, who else fought on "the side of light" back then. Maybe the Walkers of Sigma-957 played a larger role in the war with the Shadows a thousand years ago and had a bit of conflict with the Vorlons about the conducting of the war leading to them being so pissed at hearing the name Vorlon when Ivanova and Marcus found them. Of course this is probably just extremely high speculation on my part, but sometimes it's fun to think about the possiblities.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 17:41   #29
A_M_Swallow
First One

The Shadows may have used a similar strategy in the previous war. Hide behind the scenes, start fights between the "children" and help both sides.

The privilege of actually fighting the Shadows may have traditionally been reserved for the (near) First Ones. In "In to the Fire" the First One ships had no problems attacking Vorlon and Shadow ships.

If the Shadows have been making child species fight each other, who did the Vorlons have to fight a million years ago? The Walkers perhaps?
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th 03, 17:41   #30
A_M_Swallow
First One

The Shadows may have used a similar strategy in the previous war. Hide behind the scenes, start fights between the "children" and help both sides.

The privilege of actually fighting the Shadows may have traditionally been reserved for the (near) First Ones. In "In to the Fire" the First One ships had no problems attacking Vorlon and Shadow ships.

If the Shadows have been making child species fight each other, who did the Vorlons have to fight a million years ago? The Walkers perhaps?
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote