B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 26th 02, 18:44   #1
RW7427

Kosh and Lyta

I have a question. I never really thought about this until the last time I watched Divided Loyalties. I will make some spoiler space here in case not everyone has seen this ep.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Okay, my question is this: Lyta goes to Kosh's quarters and asks him if she can see him again. Now, of course, she saw him when she scanned him in The Gathering, so she could help find out what it was that the Minbari assassin had poisoned him with. So, he shows himself to her in Divided Loyalties. When he does, just what does she see? Does she see him in his angel form that he shows everyone at the end of season 2 when he saves Sheridan's life, or does he show himself as the creature we see battling Ulkesh in season 4's Falling Toward Apotheosis? When he appears as an angel, you hear like a whooshing sound like a bedsheet flapping in the wind. You hear that same sound when he shows himself to Lyta, so that makes me wonder if she saw him in that angel form or if she saw him like he was in Apotheosis.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to hear them!
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 02, 18:48   #2
Recoil
First One

Re: Kosh and Lyta

Angel form.

They ALWAYS use that form for others, as they want us to react in a favorable way to it. The only reason Kosh #2 was seen in the other form in the episode Falling Toward Apothesis (sp) was because he was a bit "distracted" with doing battle with Kosh #1 and taking all kinds of fire from the B5 Security teams. He had to focus on the immediate danger and couldnt project the false image of the Angelic form to everyone present.

I assume the flapping noise you here when Delenn and Lyta see Kosh is his "wings."
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 02, 18:55   #3
RW7427

Yeah, that was my guess too, but what about when he was unconscious or whatever during the scan in The Gathering? What did she see then?
Old November 26th 02, 18:56   #4
hypatia
First One

But wasn't Kosh I pretty distracted by dieing in "The Gathering"?
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 02, 18:57   #5
Recoil
First One

I would have to assume the Angelic form, only because its CLEAR that is the form the Doctor saw (from his comments at the end of the episode). Perhaps, even with Kosh in his coma, he was cogniscent of the fact that his encounter suit was about to be breached and was able to use what little strength he had to put up his little disguise of sorts.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 02, 19:04   #6
RW7427

But if you were dying, would you worry about how you looked? That's like saying,"Oh my God, I have a hair out of place" in the middle of a heart attack. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old November 26th 02, 20:31   #7
CelleDuSoleil
Ambassador

I don't think that Vorlons have to exert themselves overly much to appear holy. It may not even be a conscious effort. I mean half of the matter is already taken care of by what an individual was racially programmed to see by the Vorlons generations ago. They probably have a default state like a Vorlon poker-face that is translated to holy something by the onlooker. Unless the onlooker wasn't programmed, like the Centauri, in which case he or she will see nothing.

In Falling Towards Apotheosis, Kosh and Kosh-the-Sequel were driven out of that default poker-face state by the emotions involved in combat and betrayal by one's own kind ie. them's were pissed. Besides, seeing as the humans present were shooting at it, it doesn't take a Vorlon to figure out that the old look!-it's-angel trick is not gonna work.
CelleDuSoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 02, 20:39   #8
FlipperPA
First One

I'd be distracted enough not to come off like a bumbling idiot in the presence of the gorgeous Lyta Alexander to show myself as an angel. ;-)
FlipperPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 02, 20:43   #9
hypatia
First One

Quote:
I don't think that Vorlons have to exert themselves overly much to appear holy.
But in the episode later during the series, Kosh explains his not being around much by saying it was a strain to be seen by so many at once.

I gathered that meant that appearing angelic as a bit of a strain, and this became much, much worse when maginfied by so many witnesses (and from so many different races/backgrounds).

Just speculation on my part, though.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 02, 20:48   #10
A_M_Swallow
First One

It was even worse than Kosh maintaining his angle form. Kosh took over Lyta's P5 mind. This meant that she could not say what she had seen other than the meeting with the fake Sinclair. Kosh also inserted blocks into Lyta's mind such that the Psi Cops P12 back on Earth were unable to extract additional information. Lyta had a compulsion inserted into her mind such that she wanted to go to the Vorlon Homeworld.

This is a lot for a dieing entity; unless that entity prepared it in advance. This suggests that "The Gathering" was a test of Babylon 5 organized by the Vorlons.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote