B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 23rd 02, 06:58   #1
RW7427

B5 race relations

One thing that has always fascinated me about Babylon 5 is all of the different races and how they related to one another. You've got Humans and Minbari who fought a terrible war in which the Human race is almost destroyed, then like 12 or so years later they become allies. You have the Narns and Centauri almost constantly at war. You have the Vorlons using everyone else to do their work, only seeming to form an alliance with the Minbari when they were really using them. Earth signs a non-agression treaty with the Centauri, but the Humans on B5 really support the Narns. Then there is the Centauri alliance with the Shadows and their wars against the League Worlds, who turn to the Humans and Minbari for help. There are just so many different fascinating ways that these races relate to one another. I could sit and watch B5 for hours just taking all of that stuff in.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd 02, 09:00   #2
SigmaC13

Re: B5 race relations

Yes, me too. It's politics and international relations brought to TV, without the dryness of a documentary, and far better structured than random newscasts/reports. The depth of the characters also helps me to feel more engaged with the goings-on. It definitely needed its 5-year arc. I'm glad it got it.
Old March 23rd 02, 11:09   #3
LightNZ
Dead Account

definately
LightNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd 02, 17:57   #4
A_Ranger
First One

Just trying to lay it all out makes me feel like my head is going to implode!
A_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd 02, 18:09   #5
RW7427

Well, I have always been fascinated with history and the way that countries fought, formed alliances, and etc. That is one of the things that drew me to B5.
Old March 24th 02, 18:27   #6
Apocalypse_Box
Commander

I thought it was kind of amusing because for all the Centauri tried to help us, it seemed like no one on Babylon 5 liked 'em. From any season.
Sure, they're drunk power hungry war mongers, but deep down I think most of them were good.
Apocalypse_Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 02, 18:29   #7
Tigara
Dead Account

Everyone should have just let them conquer the galaxy. They obviously have the will and in the long run it would be best.
Tigara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 02, 18:37   #8
RW7427

But as Kosh refered to, the Centauri were a dying people. They could in no way conquer they galaxy, not without the help of the Shadows. If they went up against the Humans or the Minbari in a major war without Shadow help, they could not beat either. They even needed help to beat the Narns.
Old March 24th 02, 18:41   #9
Tigara
Dead Account

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RW7427:
<font color=yellow>But as Kosh refered to, the Centauri were a dying people. They could in no way conquer they galaxy, not without the help of the Shadows. If they went up against the Humans or the Minbari in a major war without Shadow help, they could not beat either. They even needed help to beat the Narns.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
He didn't specify.
"Who the Narns or the Centauri?"
"Yes"
Tigara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 02, 18:45   #10
Apocalypse_Box
Commander

-Tigara
"Yes." Didn't mean one or the other, it meant both.
Apocalypse_Box is offline   Reply With Quote