B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 8th 09, 17:15   #11
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

The only one thing I wish any Trek had in order to be in the spirit of Trek is to incorporate some of the litarary science fiction themes. One of the geniuses of TOS was that it dealt with the impact of future technology and space exploration, time travel, and other ideas that were only found in novels and short stories before Trek brought it to visual entertainment for everyone else. I was a bit dismayed to learn the plot of this ones involves battling Romulans.

I'm not asking for long talky nerd talk or ultra-complicated smug BS- just something that makes it feel like it's in the tradition of actual science-fiction, not just an action flick in space.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th 09, 17:46   #12
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
I'm not asking for long talky nerd talk or ultra-complicated smug BS- just something that makes it feel like it's in the tradition of actual science-fiction, not just an action flick in space.
I read a great quote on another board from a poster who said basically what you did. That while a lot of people didn't like Star Trek: The Motion Picture, it was probably the only true Science Fiction movie of either of the two series. After that it started becoming more of a space drama and in later installments, action movies in space. ST:TMP was just poorly executed, but it was a Science Fiction movie, there is no doubt about that.

This movie is clearly marketed as an action movie in space, as are most these days, sadly enough. You just cant get people in theaters if there isnt sex and explosions
Old May 8th 09, 18:34   #13
GKarsEye
First One

Yes, I've always had that exact judgment of the first Trek movie.
I believe it was greatly inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey, the most science-fictiony science fiction movie ever ever.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old May 8th 09, 19:01   #14
admiraldave
First One

I love the reboot. Admittedly, my thought at the end was "if you're gonna nuke/reboot all the previous work ... couldn't they have gotten Enterprise too?" I am more of a modern Trek guy, I grew up with TNG, watching "Encounter at Farpoint" was one of my earliest memories.

Yes, this was more of an action film, but it had such energy and was so fun to watch that I was enthralled. At least this movie lacked the self-indulgent pretensions of the last few Star Wars and Matrix movies.

With the possible exception of New Chekov (who seemed to be there to mainly mock old Chekov's accent), the cast was brilliant.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th 09, 19:55   #15
GKarsEye
First One

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/08...tar-trek-film/
Old May 8th 09, 21:42   #16
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldave View Post
I love the reboot. Admittedly, my thought at the end was "if you're gonna nuke/reboot all the previous work ... couldn't they have gotten Enterprise too?" I am more of a modern Trek guy, I grew up with TNG, watching "Encounter at Farpoint" was one of my earliest memories.

Yes, this was more of an action film, but it had such energy and was so fun to watch that I was enthralled. At least this movie lacked the self-indulgent pretensions of the last few Star Wars and Matrix movies.

With the possible exception of New Chekov (who seemed to be there to mainly mock old Chekov's accent), the cast was brilliant.
He did do a good job at mocking his accent.

Which made me wonder why they went to such efforts to hire a Russian. .. the most retarded thing was when they were showing him struggling to pronounce "V".

Here's the thing .. Russians DO get W and V mixed up occasionally. This is because their language has only one of these sounds - V. So they'll sometimes have trouble figuring out what goes where, but they will never have problems pronouncing V. Come on - Vodka, Moskva, Do Svidanya, Na Strovye?

I agree that it was a great action movie. The visuals were impressive, the pacing was perfect, the acting was great, the dialogue was quite good, even the chemistry wasn't bad. The plot was stupid, the villain was unengaging, and the whole thing left me wondering why they were even doing this (aside from the $///, of course).

Best things about the movie:
* Simon Pegg
* The captain's life-rate monitor in the opening scene
* Bar fights!
* Uhura
* Nokia
* Vulcan Prats
* The Kobayashi Maru
* Mr. Kick-some-Romulan-butt Olsen's demise
* Seeing Leonard Nimoy again

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th 09, 20:09   #17
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
"Set phasers to fabulous."
Old May 9th 09, 23:18   #18
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

I loved it... exacted a good amount of emotional responses right across the board from me. Had the benefit of watching both Trek and Wolverine today and have to say the former more than outgunned the latter.

As to the emphasis being on action rather than hardcore sci fi... let's not forget that this is the initial film and if we recall, in order to get original Trek passed as a series, Roddenberry had to sell it as a "Wagon Train to the Stars".

I loved Spock Prime's joke at our expense over the issue of temporal paradoxes. We think we know why Kirk can't alow Spock to know of his future self's existence... because we've seen it so many times in Trek and other sci-fi... and Leonard Nimoy just comes along and rips it up with a wry throw away line.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 09, 02:02   #19
admiraldave
First One

Well, I just saw it for a second time ... first movie I saw twice opening weekend. I honestly think this one may challenge for top Trek movie for me.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 09, 03:37   #20
Jade Jaguar
First One

Before I went to see the film, I had a discussion with a hard core Trekkie friend of mine, and said that I was afraid I would be disappointed by the changes made in the reboot. Surprisingly, he was ready to accept what they did... before he saw it. After we went to see it, I was fine with the film, in part because I liked the way they handled the changes. The time-travel thing was an integral part of the movie, but it was not the main theme of the movie, it was background. I dislike the "alternate universe," and the "holodeck world" sorts of stories, because I see them as artifice, and a crutch. But, this didn't work like that, to me. Oddly enough, my Trekkie friend wasn't too happy with the changes, but sort of liked it anyway. But it IS and action picture in space, not an examination of philosophical themes, as is ST at its best.

I saw the film from the center of the front row, with a VERY wide screen. I had to turn my head to catch everything. That's the way I like it...

Some random observations:

I knew we would see something about the Kobayashi Maru.

I thought the Spock/Uhura love interest was pretty strange.

The instant I saw there was a Redshirt with Kirk and Sulu on their assault, I turned to my Trekkie friend and said "He's gonna die! He replied, "Well, he does have a red shirt.

Sulu's sword was rather derivative of a light saber - at the moment he drew it.

I thought the youngest Kirk was a stupid jerk, unnecessarily.

The bad Romulan's ship looked like a Shadow vessel!

My biggest disappointment with the film is that we didn't get to see more of the green girl, and for longer...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote