B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 2nd 01, 13:57   #1
RW7427

I\'m happy, sort of

I watched and taped "Confessions and Lamentations" for the first time last night. I always seemed to miss it every time it was on, so I specifically asked for last night off from work so I could watch it and tape it. I almost forgot it was on and ended up missing like 10 or 15 minutes of it before I realized it was on. I ran out in the lving room and started taping. I came in right at the point where Dr Franklin and Dr Lazarus were talking about the Drafa plague and how it first started on the Markab Homeworld. I am glad that I was still able to see the episode and tape it, but could kick myself for missing the first part because I was fooling around on the computer.

I thought that Confessions was a very good episode. But it is also a very sad episode. I almost cried a couple of times, especially with the little girl that Delenn was trying to comfort coming down sick and the part where she and Lennier had to tell the others that all the Markabs were dead. Even though I almost cried, I was still glad to finally see this episode.

------------------
The Whitestar Salad Bar, our last best hope for peace, and a good meal too!

[This message has been edited by RW7427 (edited November 02, 2001).]
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 01, 13:59   #2
KoshN

Re: I\'m happy, sort of

Hey. Check your ICQ.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 01, 14:06   #3
channe
First One

This was the only Babylon 5 episode I watched during it's original run (I never got into it because it was aired at 2 am where I was and at the time we didn't own a VCR).

I remember thinking... "Oh my God. They died. That doesn't happen on TV..." I was very, very affected by the story. At the time, stories like that were just not being done on television, or so I can remember.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald
channe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 01, 14:27   #4
Jomar
Dead Account

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:

I remember thinking... "Oh my God. They died. That doesn't happen on TV..." I was very, very affected by the story. At the time, stories like that were just not being done on television, or so I can remember.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right about that. Franklin would have arrived with the antidote in time to save them all in the Star Trek universe.

It's episodes like this one and Passing Through Gethsemene that made B5 stand out as unique.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Jomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 01, 19:11   #5
bakana
Dead Account

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Has JMS ever written anything about his beliefs or how he defines atheism?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. He defines Athieism the same way everyone else does: He doesn't believe in God.

But, he Did read extensively About religion while coming to that conclusion, including reading the Entire Bible Front To Back.
Unlike 99% of the people who Do believe in God.

He also pointed out once that, just because you don't believe in God, doesn't mean you don't have to make "spiritual" moral decisions about how to live your life.
In fact, it can be argued that, if there is no God, how you behave here and now is even More important because there is not going to be any "afterlife" where you can spend eternity apologising.
Best to live a life that doesn't Need apologies.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!
bakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 01, 21:23   #6
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Yeah but the Bible is not constructed in a manner that is best read cover to cover, if that were the case it would have been put in chronological order (some versions like this do exist).

Instead it is grouped as the Torah, the historical books, the wisdom books, the major prophets and the minor prophets, followed by the Gospels, and the Epistles and the funky pictures at the back!

And depending on where you get it there's the odd bit of Old and New Testament Apocrypha thrown in.

RE lesson over.

A lot of atheists I encounter tend to actually be humanists.

If JMS approach in B5 is anything to go by, there is a realist humanist theme running through. In B5 the human race has got the potential to achieve anything, but look how long it takes, and how many foul ups there were all along the way!

The only person who can truly label their belief is the individual who partakes in it, oh and of course God.

I'm waffling, I'll crawl back into my little wardrobe now!

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd 01, 05:08   #7
Morden
First One

"CaL" is a little boring, but the very end with Franklin was good.

------------------
"Ink on a page." -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
Morden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd 01, 05:13   #8
hypatia
First One

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
You're right about that. Franklin would have arrived with the antidote in time to save them all in the Star Trek universe.

It's episodes like this one and Passing Through Gethsemene that made B5 stand out as unique.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. And I still see "Passing Through Gethsemene" as being one of the best episodes EVER, any series, sci-fi or not.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd 01, 05:22   #9
**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I agree. And I still see "Passing Through Gethsemene" as being one of the best episodes EVER, any series, sci-fi or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will second that statement. One thing I have always wondered about is that JMS is a professed atheist but there were quite a few stories in B5 that were very spiritual in nature. Has JMS ever written anything about his beliefs or how he defines atheism?

------------------
Old November 3rd 01, 22:25   #10
Vorlon
First One

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I agree. And I still see "Passing Through Gethsemene" as being one of the best episodes EVER, any series, sci-fi or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I will second that statement <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do I.

------------------
Understanding is a three edged sword.
Vorlon is offline   Reply With Quote