B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 10th 10, 03:31   #11
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: New Sherlock Holmes on PBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
Chilli, thanks for clearing up my ignorance on the point. My surprise comes from several points - in the films, Sherlock always seems to know everything about everything. He seems to know all the government functionaries, and what they are up to, i.e. In the last ep, he solved the forgery crime by knowing detailed info about a comet (IIRC.) So, how does he have that level of astronomical knowledge, but not know that the Earth orbits the Sun? My question is rhetorical, I don't expect you to explain it.
I can try anyway .. that part is harder to explain, yes. But by engaging in massive fan wank, one could make a case that this, while being a stretch, is conceivable.

Book Sherlock keeps quite a library at home which he uses as a brain extension whenever necessary - i.e. as soon as a topic for whatever reason becomes relevant for a case he's dealing with, he'll read up on any background information he might need. As this Sherlock is like a book Sherlock with more technology at his disposal, he might have read up on this as soon as it became relevant for the case. Also - not sure here, as it's been some months since I watched this episode - I believe there were some indicators that the lady in the planetarium was currently reviewing materials on this supernova (wasn't there something on the speakers about this when the Golem killed her?). It could be that Sherlock learned about the supernova here, and identified it on the painting using his photographic memory.

Another possible interpretation: Sherlock actually knows quite a bit about the sky as it is/was perceived by humans, but considers the mechanics behind what we perceive as irrelevant. I don't Sherlock's supposed to have never heard of the heliocentric world view, just that he never chose to remember the fact, as he could not forsee it having any practical relevance to him. It's not actually unconceivable - different people's minds work in fascinating ways.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th 10, 09:00   #12
Jade Jaguar
First One

Well, in retrospect, with the message in the professor's phone call, and given that she worked in a planetarium, and was an astronomer, it probably should have been obvious that the solution had something to do with the sky. In fact, I was thinking that maybe it was something about the location of the stars in the painting, before Sherlock sussed it. Yes, he could have read up on things, when it became relevant, but that seems a stretch, both for time, and for such an esoteric bit of info. Still, I like the series, and look forward to more.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th 10, 00:18   #13
hypatia
First One

Two things struck me about these comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
Chilli, thanks for clearing up my ignorance on the point. My surprise comes from several points - in the films, Sherlock always seems to know everything about everything. He seems to know all the government functionaries, and what they are up to, i.e. In the last ep, he solved the forgery crime by knowing detailed info about a comet (IIRC.) So, how does he have that level of astronomical knowledge, but not know that the Earth orbits the Sun? My question is rhetorical, I don't expect you to explain it.
I can try anyway .. that part is harder to explain, yes. But by engaging in massive fan wank, one could make a case that this, while being a stretch, is conceivable.

Book Sherlock keeps quite a library at home which he uses as a brain extension whenever necessary - i.e. as soon as a topic for whatever reason becomes relevant for a case he's dealing with, he'll read up on any background information he might need. As this Sherlock is like a book Sherlock with more technology at his disposal, he might have read up on this as soon as it became relevant for the case. Also - not sure here, as it's been some months since I watched this episode - I believe there were some indicators that the lady in the planetarium was currently reviewing materials on this supernova (wasn't there something on the speakers about this when the Golem killed her?). It could be that Sherlock learned about the supernova here, and identified it on the painting using his photographic memory.
Wow, did I have a deja-vu flash on about a million different posts on "Star Trek" series.

Quite entertaining, I might add.

Quote:
Another possible interpretation: Sherlock actually knows quite a bit about the sky as it is/was perceived by humans, but considers the mechanics behind what we perceive as irrelevant. I don't Sherlock's supposed to have never heard of the heliocentric world view, just that he never chose to remember the fact, as he could not forsee it having any practical relevance to him. It's not actually unconceivable - different people's minds work in fascinating ways.
I have known people like this. It is absolutely possible. Different people reason things out very differently.

What I'd like to ask Sir A.C. Doyle is: how do you know what you might find useful to know? Isn't that a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy, since you'll never know if you could have used anything you have missed?

Last edited by hypatia; November 11th 10 at 00:21.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th 10, 12:34   #14
bassman1201
Lurker

I have a question. Actually two.
1st: Why was the Golumn hiding with the homeless and when he saw he was being followed, he had a sportscar waiting for him?

2nd: When the old woman started to describe Moriarty, "Oh, he had a soft voice," and then she blew up, why didn't Sherlock immediately know it was the guy at the beginning. He is supposed to be the most vigilant detective anywhere.
bassman1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th 10, 18:41   #15
Bab5nutz
First One

Slightly OT

Is this series up there with the Jeremy Brett series of the late 1980/90s?
Bab5nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th 10, 02:57   #16
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab5nutz View Post
Slightly OT

Is this series up there with the Jeremy Brett series of the late 1980/90s?
It is easily as watchable and interesting. Apparently, apart from the change of eras, it as true to Conan-Doyle's work. I liked Jeremy Brett quite a bit, and this new show isn't a replacement. But, don't miss it just to be true to Brett, or because the modernization seems weird to you. Check it out.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old December 16th 10, 15:09   #17
hypatia
First One

I missed it, and I'm not sure how. I suspect this is yet another case of a big, popular PBS series that just doesn't quite make it to the Tucson affiliate. I missed a documentary I really wanted to see because it simply never showed on the Tucson station.

Old December 19th 10, 08:12   #18
Jade Jaguar
First One

Maybe it will show up in the summer, or after next fall's run of Masterpiece Mystery. Also, I think you might be able to get it on line.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old December 20th 10, 05:21   #19
hypatia
First One

That is something I've never tried with PBS shows. I didn't even think of it.

Thanks, JJ.
Old January 5th 11, 20:36   #20
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
That is something I've never tried with PBS shows. I didn't even think of it.

Thanks, JJ.
Yeah, all three are online. Go to PBS.org
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote