B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 4th 10, 04:02   #251
vacantlook

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
no, you cannot have Xander's collection of Babylon 5 commemorative plates!
Especially considering that those plates were never actually manufactured beyond the prototype. So, Xander must have some serious connections!

Oh, and fun fact about that episode: the Xander double was played by Nicholas Brendan's twin brother.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th 10, 14:53   #252
GKarsEye
First One

There sure do seem to be a lot of twins in Hollywood. I was wondering why the doubling of Xander looked to good- Buffy's effects often show the limitations of their budget, and it's usually easy to see screen splitting and other artifacts of double of people on screen.

Probably my favorite instance of a twin used like that is Terminator 2. There's a scene where Sarah Conner (Linda Hamilton) is stitching up the Terminator in front of a mirror. The "reflection" is actually her twin sister. Originally they filmed an extended sequence where she takes out his brain chip and considers destroying it. This took many takes and a lot of effort as the twin sisters had to time their moves to be in sync. Then it got cut for time.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th 10, 15:06   #253
GKarsEye
First One

Being aware of how some fans don't like Riley, here's the moment that reinforced why I do like him: his convo w/ Xander about how much he luvs Buffy and then ending it with "but she doesn't love me." I've done that! I relate! I like and feel sorry for Riley! He will therefore die.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old July 5th 10, 16:28   #254
admiraldave
First One

Riley had the problem of being the "Not-Angel" guy. I liked him, I found him a good match for Buffy (and, hey, Marc Blucas is hot). Still, he is the rebound guy, which I can also relate to.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th 10, 18:40   #255
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldave View Post
Riley had the problem of being the "Not-Angel" guy. I liked him, I found him a good match for Buffy (and, hey, Marc Blucas is hot). Still, he is the rebound guy, which I can also relate to.
I thought Angel was a terrible romantic interest ... but I still didn't like Riley. At first. Some upcoming developments made me appreciate him some more.

I didn't really have much of a problem with the character, or the writing, or any of that. I just thought Marc Blucas was god-damned awful. With Buffy's previous super-massive love having been Angel, I was seeing a system here at that point.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th 10, 21:30   #256
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldave View Post
Actually, Parker was the rebound guy.
Old July 5th 10, 22:09   #257
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Actually, Parker was the rebound guy.
Chronologically, perhaps, but not in effect. The way that Parker treated Buffy after they hooked up hurt the wound Buffy still had over Angel turning evil after they were together. So in terms of Buffy's psychology, she didn't really get to use Parker as a rebound because of that.
Old July 5th 10, 22:30   #258
GKarsEye
First One

We may have different ideas of the term "rebound." Where I'm from, it's the person you hook up with after a bad break-up or being dumped, a person you might not have otherwise, and that you later regret. The idea is that you're emotionally vulnerable and not thinking clearly, and others can take advantage of that. One usually doesn't enter into loving long-term healthy relationships with rebounds.

In other words, Parker, the classic "rebound guy."

Riley is simply Buffy's 2nd boyfriend. At the point where I am, she's been with him for over a year.

Tara also is not a "rebound" relationship. Harmony might have been for Spike. Speaking of... what's up with him loving Buffy now? That just sort of flew in from nowhere. But then this show does that.
Old July 6th 10, 00:12   #259
vacantlook

The amount of time Buffy's been with Riley doesn't change how she treats him though. He can feel that she's not in love with him. She treats him in a rather reboundish manner. Riley is far more invested in their relationship than Buffy herself is. The question is will Buffy transition from treating Riley in a reboundish manner to seeing him as true long-term potential. Their relationship is on the cusp of that.

Spike's feelings for Buffy is a weird thing. It's as much antagonistic as it is true interest he has in her, and he can't ever really decide which it is for him: does he hate her or love her.

What episode are you currently up to?
Old July 6th 10, 05:17   #260
GKarsEye
First One

Gonna watch the 7th episode of each now.

The one bit of dialogue that sums of Spike best was during a fight that went something like
"I had a plan. It was really good and well thought-out"
"So what happened?"
"I got bored."

As the ultimate id character, they wrote him in a way that nothing has to make any sense and he can do whatever for any reason at any time, so now he can love Buffy or whatever I guess.