B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 9th 10, 20:49   #61
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Do they ever explain why the slayer always has to be a girl? And I mean really explain it, other than "because that's what the prophecy says" or "Joss Whedon thought it would be cool to make a girl the hero."
It's never stated outright. But you can read between the lines when you find out who created the first slayer, and how they did it.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 21:27   #62
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Quote:
Do they ever explain why the slayer always has to be a girl? And I mean really explain it, other than "because that's what the prophecy says" or "Joss Whedon thought it would be cool to make a girl the hero."
It's never stated outright. But you can read between the lines when you find out who created the first slayer, and how they did it.
Yay! I was gonna post much the same thing. There's a reason it's only female. It's actually kind of a deep-seeded theme of the whole show, in a way. You won't find out for a long, long time though.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 22:20   #63
GKarsEye
First One

Look at you guys- answering the question without spoiling anything, creating anticipation for future episodes. You're good at internetting.

Weather is poop and work is done early (me smart). I'm-a go home and watch TONS of Buffy now.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 23:11   #64
vacantlook

Quote:
Look at you guys- answering the question without spoiling anything, creating anticipation for future episodes. You're good at internetting.
And at foreplay.

Quote:
Weather is poop and work is done early (me smart). I'm-a go home and watch TONS of Buffy now.
Yay!
Old June 10th 10, 02:11   #65
GKarsEye
First One

So guess what happened!

I watched episode 9, which is the first of a two-parter about how Spike is trying to cure Drusilla (so vampires get sick now... ok) and summons 3 bounty hunters of some sort (why couldn't he just do this earlier?). And there's this incredibly hot chick stalking her, so it's implied she's one of them, but she's a vampire slayer!

cliffhanger!

"Hah-hah," I declare, "I have all the episodes downloaded, I can now watch the conclusion!" Open the file for episode 10 and episode 9 starts....
huh?

Bad download!

Verily, I am punished for my arrogance.

Now I wait for another download to finish. Waiting waiting...

Meanwhile....

Kendra's Jamaican's accent...lol! It's like a comic's impression of Cleo the psychic TV lady.

Why doesn't Buffy just drop out of high school? I mean, she's sitting here complaining that she has no choice about what to do with her life, so then what would she need with a formal education?
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old June 10th 10, 02:24   #66
GKarsEye
First One

Waiting for ep 10 download, hmm, how to pass the time...

Old June 10th 10, 02:58   #67
vacantlook

Sorry to hear about the download problems, but I'm glad you enjoy the look of Kendra The Vampire Slayer. And yeah, the accent is a whole lot of silly. As for Drusilla, it's not exactly that she's sick and more that she was, according to a rather quick throwaway line in an earlier episode, beaten the shit out of by a mob in Prague immediately prior to Spike and her coming to Sunnydale, and it's taking a good long while for her to recover from that. This cure thing Spike wants to use is to just make Dru recover a lot faster.
Old June 10th 10, 09:50   #68
Pobman
Ambassador

Too much stuff to comment on in this thread so far.

I've been rewatching Buffy and Angel as my wife had never watched it and I thought she'd enjoy it. When it came the Angel spin-off I found a list on wikipedia of the order of the episodes to make sure we watched them in the right order. Yes I am that anal.

I don't tink Buffy (the show) has aged well.

By the way, Angel starts of really shakily, but I recommend you perservere with it as I personally enjoyed it on the whole a little bit more than I enjoyed Buffy overall.
Pobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th 10, 12:54   #69
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobman View Post

I've been rewatching Buffy and Angel as my wife had never watched it and I thought she'd enjoy it. When it came the Angel spin-off I found a list on wikipedia of the order of the episodes to make sure we watched them in the right order. Yes I am that anal.

By the way, Angel starts of really shakily, but I recommend you perservere with it as I personally enjoyed it on the whole a little bit more than I enjoyed Buffy overall.
I think it's kind of inevitable for a show centered around hip and trendy teenage life to become dated very quickly, I guess. Fortunately for myelf, I've become such an old fogey that's so completely out of touch with what is trendy and hip right now that most of this will pass me right by. Buffy's high school years precede mine by two years. If you factor in the time difference (There's a joke in Germany - What would you do if you found out that the world was to end tomorrow? Get in a car and drive to Austria, those guys are always a few years behind everyone else), it pretty much lines up with my highschool time, so the oddness of it doesn't srike me on the head too much when I watch Buffy now. I like to pretend that my high school time wasn't a long time ago.

(unless you're not even talking about the hipness and the pop culture, but of the production values/effects/etc. )

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th 10, 14:30   #70
Pobman
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobman View Post

I think it's kind of inevitable for a show centered around hip and trendy teenage life to become dated very quickly, I guess. Fortunately for myelf, I've become such an old fogey that's so completely out of touch with what is trendy and hip right now that most of this will pass me right by. Buffy's high school years precede mine by two years. If you factor in the time difference (There's a joke in Germany - What would you do if you found out that the world was to end tomorrow? Get in a car and drive to Austria, those guys are always a few years behind everyone else), it pretty much lines up with my highschool time, so the oddness of it doesn't srike me on the head too much when I watch Buffy now. I like to pretend that my high school time wasn't a long time ago.

(unless you're not even talking about the hipness and the pop culture, but of the production values/effects/etc. )
Yeah, I guess what I meant is that it seemed so intrinsicily of its time that it seems a bit outdated now.
Pobman is offline   Reply With Quote