B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 14th 10, 01:04   #91
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Anyone still watching Lost?

Quote:
Just more proof that they hadn't thought anything out, and made up a bunch of weird shit to get people interested without a plan to ever bring it together.
But who's claiming that they did plan anything out?
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th 10, 01:33   #92
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

My favourite quote from this last episode:

Quote:
Every question I answer will simply lead to another question

I gave up on the notion that they might have a "plan" a long time ago, so I won't be too annoyed by a shitty series finale. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that B5 was, infact, unique when it comes to this whole "knowing what the hell you're doing" thing, and that I will never love a show like I loved it again (kind of a recurring theme in my life)

Though I do find it .. a combination of amusing and lame that they're going to great lengths to (badly) explain great big mysteries from season 1, that everyone has forgotten about.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th 10, 05:06   #93
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Quote:
Just more proof that they hadn't thought anything out, and made up a bunch of weird shit to get people interested without a plan to ever bring it together.
But who's claiming that they did plan anything out?
The writers have been, since day one. The entire premise and format of the show, and their hook to get viewers in, is based on getting answers to the mysteries they have set up.
Old May 14th 10, 07:15   #94
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Yeah, I've read similar comments that they have had a lot of it mapped out. Rewatching things with my husband has been enlightening. I'm catching things I missed before that are tying up from previous seasons.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th 10, 11:09   #95
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
...I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that B5 was, infact, unique when it comes to this whole "knowing what the hell you're doing" thing, and that I will never love a show like I loved it again (kind of a recurring theme in my life)....
I know I probably sound annoying being the big ass fan of it that I am, but Avatar The Last Airbender was like Babylon 5 in the aspect of having a big plan from the beginning -- a three season plan, which is why each season is called a "book" (officially called a "book" on screen from the very first episode), as in it's a "trilogy". They planned for three seasons and they kept to it.

Yup, Avatar even had in its plan a mysterious, moving island in two of its final episodes, the solution of said mystery had been casually mentioned a few times previous in the show, you just don't realize it (unless you're a good guesser) until the solution is spelled out for you.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th 10, 16:51   #96
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
Yeah, I've read similar comments that they have had a lot of it mapped out. Rewatching things with my husband has been enlightening. I'm catching things I missed before that are tying up from previous seasons.
The problem is, how many of those things are actually relevant to the story, and how many of those things were just made up to make the island mysterious and keep viewers chasing the carrot being dangled in front of them. It wasn't as well planned out as they maintained, and in the next two weeks I suspect we will find out just how poorly planned out it was.
Old May 14th 10, 22:08   #97
GKarsEye
First One

The only interview I read with the producers or writers or whoever that I can remember said that the characters were what counted, not the details of the mysteries.

Whatever who cares what they said. Heck if we insisting on comparing to B5, I've even read things that JMS claim about his own show and its "planning" that I didn't believe, just weren't logical, and that really was a show that was planned out.

Though I think the creators were right when they said it was about characters, though not, for me, in the way they meant. I tried watching a few episodes of Flash Forward and couldn't get into it just because the people in it were boring and lame. No one cool like Lock or Sawyer, and that's also a show with big mysteries, that may or may not be "planned out" or whatever.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old May 15th 10, 18:45   #98
Recoil
First One

I'm not comparing the show to B5 by any stretch. What I am saying is that the entire concept of the show since its viral marketing (ala JJ Abrams) was about the island and its mysteries, and there was constant online communication from the writers about how everything has a purpose and meaning.

That was their hook to get people into the show. That is what 90% of the people who got into the show got into it for --- not just the show itself, but all the viral websites that popped up so fans could read more into the mysteries and try to figure things out.

The fact it was all based on bullshit really cheats the viewers. Now sure, you could argue that the show is more about the characters than the story. But you can say that about most television these days. I'm sure the writers now want to say "its more about the characters" because they know it sure can't be about the mythology of the island. But the fact they used the mystery of the island and the constant dangling carrot as a way to string viewers along is pretty poor.
Old May 16th 10, 02:42   #99
Kara Baxter
Telepath

no...the writers specifically said they DID NOT HAVE ANY PLOT PLANS.

it was random...if they got an idea - OH OK that sounds good lets do that...oh lets bring back that dead character!

However with the last season - oh now they decided to tie things up.

its the same shit BSG writers did...oh how do we end this??

BADLY! with loose ends so that the fans won't notice.

BTW, the season finale will be on SUNDAY not TUESDAY!
Old May 16th 10, 03:02   #100
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
What I am saying is that the entire concept of the show since its viral marketing (ala JJ Abrams) was about the island and its mysteries, and there was constant online communication from the writers about how everything has a purpose and meaning.
Quote:
the writers specifically said they DID NOT HAVE ANY PLOT PLANS.
What are you guys doing, writing for Lost?