B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 22nd 10, 16:02   #31
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: Matt Smith Dr Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
There's an episode coming up that was filmed in my girlfriend's old high school. Her sources inform her that on set, the crew regard Smith as "no David Tenant."
If I'm understanding them correctly ... it should be noted here that the crews felt much the same way about Tom Baker when he took over from Jon Pertwee back in 1974. Pertwee was universially loved by anyone that had ever worked with him, while it's very rare to find anyone that ever worked with Tom Baker that's still willing to be in a room with him. Personally, I also preferred Pertwee to Baker on screen and the Pertwee era to the Tom Baker era, but be that as it may, I've yet to see a "favourite doctor" poll that has anyone but Tom Baker come out on top.

I don't find Matt Smith appealing at all on a personal level in interviews (I always liked Tennant on a persoanl level, even when I was greatly disliking his acting) ... but I'm quite satisfied with the results he's bringing.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 10, 16:07   #32
Sindatur
Techno-mage

I'm excited to see the re-introduction of River Song. I just watched the 2 parter Silence in the Library. I think Matt Smith's introduction to her can make or break his Doctor (And Moff as show runner). He'll have to recognize her, but, keep it to himself. RTD made a big deal of her and who she becomes to the Doctor. Confusing thing is, though, she told David Tennat, she's never seen him so young? Matt Smith is literally younger than David Tennant and in the first episode at least, played the character as younger and more carefree. Certainly considering the DT episodes after Silence in the Library, the character "aged" through drama and loss, but, that seems to have been erased with the regeneration

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 10, 16:52   #33
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Would your GF's old High School be here in the states? If so, fascinating that a Dr. Who ep will be shot here.
No, my girlfriend's American but she went to a boarding school in Wales for two years. Specifically a castle in Wales.

Yeah, she's awesome.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 10, 18:24   #34
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
If I'm understanding them correctly ... it should be noted here that the crews felt much the same way about Tom Baker when he took over from Jon Pertwee back in 1974. Pertwee was universially loved by anyone that had ever worked with him, while it's very rare to find anyone that ever worked with Tom Baker that's still willing to be in a room with him. Personally, I also preferred Pertwee to Baker on screen and the Pertwee era to the Tom Baker era, but be that as it may, I've yet to see a "favourite doctor" poll that has anyone but Tom Baker come out on top.
Let me do something about that

Quote:
I don't find Matt Smith appealing at all on a personal level in interviews (I always liked Tennant on a persoanl level, even when I was greatly disliking his acting) ... but I'm quite satisfied with the results he's bringing.
I understand what you mean. He doesn't seem to connect as well when he is being himself, but that could be because he's more introverted and it would be a crime to judge him for that. He manages to connect with the audience well enough in the role to be convincing... and when push comes to shove, that is what matters.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 10, 18:35   #35
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Any credible poll, then. I've been following DW internet discussions after episodes air since the show was revived, and every week, people are saying that the last episode was either the best, or worst, episode ever. Any poll including the current doctor will be biased so badly by default that it doesn't really mean anything.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 10, 18:41   #36
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
I'm excited to see the re-introduction of River Song. I just watched the 2 parter Silence in the Library. I think Matt Smith's introduction to her can make or break his Doctor (And Moff as show runner). He'll have to recognize her, but, keep it to himself. RTD made a big deal of her and who she becomes to the Doctor. Confusing thing is, though, she told David Tennat, she's never seen him so young? Matt Smith is literally younger than David Tennant and in the first episode at least, played the character as younger and more carefree. Certainly considering the DT episodes after Silence in the Library, the character "aged" through drama and loss, but, that seems to have been erased with the regeneration
RTD wasn't piulling the strings on that two parter... it was a Moffat story. RTD has publicly said (even in the DWC following the story), that you don't touch Stephen's scripts because they are "that good".

You need to look at The Doctor the same way that Moffat does. The reason he cast Smith was because despite his physical youth, he felt he could convey the idea of the Doctor being the wise old man of the universe.

It's not about the words or the actions it's about the soul. River (for whatever reason), connects with the Doctor on that level. If you think back to the second episode and what Amy said to the Doctor...

"Very old and very kind and the very very last. Sound a bit familiar?"

The Doctor often plays the manic jester, and yes his new physicality may contribute more to that... he also often skirts with the darker side of his nature when he switches to immense brooding anger... but at his core he is still The Doctor and he is still the wise old man of the universe.

Some people have bought the RTD "Even if I regenerate I still die, some new guy goes sauntering off" line a bit literally.

The Doctor's traits may or may not change with each regeneration... but at his hearts he is the very same person within.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old April 22nd 10, 18:49   #37
Galahad
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Any credible poll, then. I've been following DW internet discussions after episodes air since the show was revived, and every week, people are saying that the last episode was either the best, or worst, episode ever. Any poll including the current doctor will be biased so badly by default that it doesn't really mean anything.
There's an element of truth in what you say... but Doctors fluctuate in favour from time to time. In recent years a lot of people have disliked McCoy... I personally liked him. And whilst Baker II was originally disliked... people have warmed to his performances as time has progressed. I certainly don't like the idea that McGann came last... as whatever else was wrong with the telemovie (and there were plenty of flaws to pick), in the role itself, McGann I felt was pretty solid. I think I'm not alone in that analysis and it's why his image has been included in the canon of the newer series.

In truth picking between the Doctors is for me a bit of a stupid thing to do. It's like saying you liked your best friend when he worked as a teacher but not so much when he became an archaeologist. Or liking your friend more when he likes rock music but saying he isn't as loveable when he hangs out at jazz clubs.

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old April 22nd 10, 19:21   #38
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Quote:
RTD wasn't piulling the strings on that two parter... it was a Moffat story. RTD has publicly said (even in the DWC following the story), that you don't touch Stephen's scripts because they are "that good".

You need to look at The Doctor the same way that Moffat does. The reason he cast Smith was because despite his physical youth, he felt he could convey the idea of the Doctor being the wise old man of the universe.

It's not about the words or the actions it's about the soul. River (for whatever reason), connects with the Doctor on that level. If you think back to the second episode and what Amy said to the Doctor...

"Very old and very kind and the very very last. Sound a bit familiar?"

The Doctor often plays the manic jester, and yes his new physicality may contribute more to that... he also often skirts with the darker side of his nature when he switches to immense brooding anger... but at his core he is still The Doctor and he is still the wise old man of the universe.

Some people have bought the RTD "Even if I regenerate I still die, some new guy goes sauntering off" line a bit literally.

The Doctor's traits may or may not change with each regeneration... but at his hearts he is the very same person within.
Yes, that was the reason for "young" in parenthesis. CE came on the scene as a very old troubled soul. Rose helped him heal and DT came into his regeneration as less troubled and burdened. By the end of DT, he was very burdened again, but Matt Smith, seems to have been healed in his regeneration, at least looking at performance in his first episode (We haven't seen ep 2 yet, so I can't look back on it for 3 more days)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 10, 02:07   #39
A_M_Swallow
First One

I suspect that neither River Song nor Amy Pond are who they appear to be. it will be interesting to find out what is hiding underneath.
Old April 25th 10, 03:19   #40
vacantlook

I don't know about other people, but I personally liked tonight's episode ("The Beast Below"). The theme of society-wide choice and the juxtaposition of the Doctor and (what's the spoiler policy for this thread given that our Brit posters get the episodes before we American posters?). There were a couple of fun allusions to Star Wars in the episode too.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote