B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 9th 04, 16:07   #11
sleepy_shadow
Psi Cop

Re: Mind War question

Quote:
For all we know, Jason WENT to the Vorlon homeworld!
Why of all places... should he choose a methane bath? :P

Quote:
Kosh may well have been observing the whole thing, and may well have communicated with the higher form of Jason, after he left the station.
Higher or lower form... since I presume Kosh was no novice in telepathy... they could have been plausibly chatting half the time.
sleepy_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 00:22   #12
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:

Higher or lower form... since I presume Kosh was no novice in telepathy... they could have been plausibly chatting half the time.
PLausible, true, but I think that if that were going on while Jason was still on the station, and in human form, we would have been given a hint, and I don't recall any such hints. One thinks that Kosh could well have made Jason's transition less painful and chaotic with a bit of Vorlon coaching. Seeing no evidence of this, but agreeing that Kosh would have an interest in Ironheart, conjecture about communication between the two seems more apt for time after Jason's transition, when we no longer see him. He might have wanted to go to the Vorlon homeworld to be with beings of similar power, to learn how to handle it, and may have known that Vorlons were responsible for telepathy in humans in the first place. If he couls survive in the vacuum of space, I doubt that a methane bath would bother him.
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 12:41   #13
grumbler
Ambassador

Quote:
Why of all places... should he choose a methane bath? :P
i think it is worth remembering that we don't have any evidence that the Vorlon homeworld has a methane atmosphere. All we know is
1) Vorlons want the other races to believe that the Vorlon homeworld has a hostile atmosphere, and
2) that they can live in the atmosphere they impute to their homeworld.

For all we know, the VHW has a standard NO atmosphere.
grumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 14:24   #14
sleepy_shadow
Psi Cop

If by NO you mean nitrogen-oxygen... I would agree. It would be possible just like methane.

However, for someone on the technical level of Vorlons... I would presume atmosphere to be... at most a matter of comfort (and certainly not survival).

If something does not matter too much, faking it seems unlikely to make a difference.

Assuming there wasn't anyone out there trying to *find* the Vorlon homeworld via its planetary type, and thereafter endanger it... I would consider their atmosphere to make little difference.

As such, I would consider them unlikely to misrepresent their usual environment -- instead picking the option of greatest comfort.
sleepy_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 15:35   #15
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
I would consider them unlikely to misrepresent their usual environment -- instead picking the option of greatest comfort.
Unless they were just using the environment of Kosh's quarters to make it more prohibitive for people from the younger races to spend time in and around the area. Or to make it harder to retro-fit in any hard cable lines to carry surveilance signals out (presuming that any wireless transmission would be easily detected by the Vorlon as soon as it was tried).

It may just be an extra level of security, or just that much more of an isolating factor.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 15:48   #16
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Quote:
I would consider them unlikely to misrepresent their usual environment -- instead picking the option of greatest comfort.
Unless they were just using the environment of Kosh's quarters to make it more prohibitive for people from the younger races to spend time in and around the area. Or to make it harder to retro-fit in any hard cable lines to carry surveilance signals out (presuming that any wireless transmission would be easily detected by the Vorlon as soon as it was tried).

It may just be an extra level of security, or just that much more of an isolating factor.
I agree, my impression has always been, it's just to keep everyone at bay a little more. Even at the end of Kosh II's tenure, Lyta was still pretending to need a breather mask. I think it was all show, Kosh had no problem breathing regular oxegyn air, out of his encounter suit when he saved Sheridan in Falling Toward Apotheosis.

The Vorlon's preferred atmosphere may indeed not be breathable by many races, but, I don't think what he had pumping into his quarters had anything to do with what he needed to breath.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 16:32   #17
A_M_Swallow
First One

According to the magazine story Nautilus Coil the Vorlon planet used to enhance Lyta had an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere. The planet may however have been just a remote experimental research station rather than their home world.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 16:33   #18
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Kosh had no problem breathing regular oxegyn air, out of his encounter suit when he saved Sheridan in Falling Toward Apotheosis.
Was he even "breathing"?

Ulkesh and "the last of Kosh" didn't seem to have any problem in the vacuum outside the station at the end of their fight after they went through the station walls.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 19:53   #19
grumbler
Ambassador

Quote:
Unless they were just using the environment of Kosh's quarters to make it more prohibitive for people from the younger races to spend time in and around the area.
Thank you. I didn't express this idea as well as you.

The Vorlons love to be mysterious and seem quite willing to make an extra effort in this regard. "Familiarity breeds contempt" and they didn't want anyone to hang around them long enough make them familiar (which means "like family").

I always imagined that Kosh reverted his quarters to "garden of eden" (for a Vorlon) conditions once his visitors had left, making sure that the B5 sensors still recorded his environment as hell-like.
grumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 04, 20:07   #20
vacantlook

I think that atmospheric environment has no meaning to a Vorlon beyond being a mask they wear to keep themselves isolated.

Quote:
"Familiarity breeds contempt" and they didn't want anyone to hang around them long enough make them familiar (which means "like family").
Not debating the Vorlons' desire to keep distance between themselves and the others, but the mentioning of family is interesting considering how Kosh seemed to come to see himself as sort of father-like to Sheridan and G'Kar.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote