• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why Is Sci-Fi TV Still Not Considered A Serious Art?

Yes, Spiner. Great classical-style actor.

I also think Frakes has been underrated but I wouldn't call him "great." I just really like character more than most.

I figured that was probably it. Although fair point about Frakes: it's not his fault that the scripts gave better parts to Picard and Data.

Now, who impresses you most of the guest star cast? :D

I figured that was probably it. Although fair point about Frakes: it's not his fault that the scripts gave better parts to Picard and Data.

Now, who impresses you most of the guest star cast? :D

Come on, Q, duh.

In one thread, Recoil and I were talking about how absurd the character is when you think about it, but the actor's charisma made most of those episodes enjoyable.

(If we're including Brent Spiner I want to quietly lobby for another, semi-genre actress who I think could really keep up with him: Sarah Michelle Gellar. Very underrated, but she did some amazing stuff on Buffy, especially considering that she was about 19 at the time. She's not Patrick Stewart level, of course.)

Lobby away, unless we are taking thread drift a bit too far at this point.

You like those who were trained in the traditional theater, I see, GKE. Yes, Q is a character some of my fellow STNG fans hated, but I did adore seeing an episode with him in it.

And I'm lousy with names, but I'd put in a plug for the actors who played Sarak (? Spock's dad) as well as Riva (? the deaf and mute peace advocate and negotiator).

Yes the big four Bruce, Mira, Peter and Andreas are world class actors and deserve some recognition from the TV community.In fact we can say that there are no bad actors in B5's main cast and it had some of the 90's best TV actors as a recurring cast.

I'd agree with this. The "big four" as you mentioned were all top notch. I suppose I should have bullet-pointed Bruce in my post instead of just mentioning him, because GKE is right, he delivered a lot to a role that changed significantly over the course of the series, and he also had some great stand-alone episode performances.

I guess I'd also agree that there were no "bad" actors in the main cast. The closest they come are a couple of the main cast putting out their share of cringe-worthy performances in some episodes. Namely, Claudia Christian, and Pat Tallman. I'm not convinced they were because the acting was bad, just really bad writing for those lines/scenes and bad Directing IMO. But sometimes that can kill a persons impression of an actor.

I think Richard Biggs wasn't a GREAT actor, but he was a very good and solid one. He had some good scenes throughout the series as well, but not as many that jump out at you. Maybe he just didn't get a lot of the involved scenes like the big four did, and that may be why, but he did deliver consistent performance. For purposes of this thread though and award recognition, consistent doesn't really warrant really special attention, but I think he always delivered the role well.

As far as TNG, I agree with GKE. Spiner and Stewart were the only standouts there. I do think John De Lance was awesome as Q. Granted, I never bought the concept of the character or the Q race...but he always delivered the role extremely well and made it a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I'm sorry fellow B5 fans but I do think Pat Tallman was just not very good. I'm not saying what's-her-face that played Winters was awesome, but she was delivered the goods. When I read about how Tallman was stunt-woman and was picked for the role because of her eyes, I was not surprised that she didn't seem to have acting experience.

Richard Biggs was excellent, he was just saddled with the worst role of any sci-fi show: the doctor. They are always the least interesting characters.

This has been a huge complaint of mine, that very few sci-fi/fantasy shows are ever seriously considered for awards (unless its voting body is more wordly insofar as what they are watching.) We saw Masi Oka get a few nominations for Heroes, but that was more on the "cute" factor than anything, I think. Awww, he's so cute, give him a supporting actor nomination!

Narrow minds mean narrow nominations, imho. I'm sick of the Grey's Anatomy/CSI 18 and whatnot always being nominated. Spread the love, peeps.

Yes Richard Biggs had some great moments like Franklin talking to Franklin in "Shadow Dancing", or when he lost his temper in "Interludes...".There were also several very good Franklin episodes such as "Confessions And Lamentations" and "The Quality Of Mercy".I suppose that the character of Franklin didn't allow Richard to show more because as he said in "Matters Of Honour" most of the time he's stuck in Medlab and he had no idea "what the hell those Shadows are".Maybe that's the way things should be.

This made me think that even the supporting actors like Stephen, Bill and Jason had their great moments.That's what differs B5 from most of the Sci Fi shows.Here every character is developed, not only the main heros.

Some people say that Michael O' Hare did the dramatic scenes right but was not appropriate for the action scenes.I think that JMS chose him perfectly because Sinclair was not the regular military officer with big muscles and no brains.Otherwise it would't be realistic for him to become the spiritual leader of the Minbari.

Last edited:
We don't really get Virgin here... the digital switch over for the Midlands isn't until 2010...so I'm guessing they aren't in a massive hurry to get all the equipment set up.

If we are extremely lucky it does come in.. but usually jumpy.

Film4 is also erratic... and we can't get UKTV History anymore.

Why can't it be the teleshopping channels that act up like that instead?

Yes, Spiner. Great classical-style actor.

I also think Frakes has been underrated but I wouldn't call him "great." I just really like character more than most.

I agree that Frakes was underrated, I'll take him over Spiner, who was also good.

Pat Talman might not be very versatile, but I thought she did very well as Lyta. I liked Claudia, but she isn't particularly good...

But as for "serious art"- no TV is considered that, nor should it be. Maybe some boring crap on public television or something, but it's disposable popular entertainment.

It very well should be considered serious art, because it is. Not all of it is of course, but in that sense it is no different than literature, theater, films, etc.. There is fluff TV and there is serious art TV, just like any other art form.

Firefly had none, etc.

While I agree with the Boxie tangent, I can't agree with this. Nathan Fillion was tremendous on Firelfy and continues to be one of the best actors in Hollywood that no one considers a great actor.

(If we're including Brent Spiner I want to quietly lobby for another, semi-genre actress who I think could really keep up with him: Sarah Michelle Gellar. Very underrated, but she did some amazing stuff on Buffy, especially considering that she was about 19 at the time. She's not Patrick Stewart level, of course.)

SMG was good, but her problem was that she plateaued at 19. She reached a good talent level and then never went any higher than that and she never had the range to go beyond the "woman dealing with emotional drama" role. The most surprising actor in the Buffyverse for me was always David Boreanaz. He was as average as you could get when he first stared out, but by about the third season of Angel he had turned himself into a very good actor, easily better than anyone not named Marsters, Head, or Hannygan in my book.

SMG was good, but her problem was that she plateaued at 19.

You may have a point there; to me the high point of her acting was in the Season 1 finale. If you know the show you'll know the scene I mean.

Technically speaking, however, she and Eliza Dushku did an astounding job playing each other in Season 4, to the point that when I think back on the scenes I hear Dushku speaking in Gellar's voice.

You may have a point there; to me the high point of her acting was in the Season 1 finale. If you know the show you'll know the scene I mean.

Technically speaking, however, she and Eliza Dushku did an astounding job playing each other in Season 4, to the point that when I think back on the scenes I hear Dushku speaking in Gellar's voice.

I've always thought Dushku is a very underrated actress who doesn't ever get thought of as a good actress because of the whole dirty/grungy vibe that she exudes in every role. But, yes, I do think that was one of the few times where SMG let herself go and her acting improved as a result.

I've always thought Dushku is a very underrated actress who doesn't ever get thought of as a good actress because of the whole dirty/grungy vibe that she exudes in every role.

Got a bit typecast, yeah. But "Dollhouse" should show the world its error. I fully expect it will be snubbed by the Emmys as well, however...

I don't know if it's a case of typecasting as much as that is just the way Dushku is, even in real life. She's hot, but she's not clean hot, she's dirty hot, ya know what I mean?

Except in real life, from what I've heard, she's not really that dirty either. She never struck me as particularly slutty in the various glimpses I've gotten of her private life (through interviews and such), and she's apparently a pretty socially responsible person, too. Certainly nowhere near as screwed up as most of her characters. She's got the dirty look to her, but not always; check out the image I've attached and tell me she doesn't look a bit wholesome.

But maybe I'm biased because she's good to her fans. (She knows Whedonists love her, and she returns the favor.)

And now we're really off-topic. Cell, perhaps you and I ought to continue this discussion elsewhere.

Attachments

• Eliza 3.jpg
    Eliza 3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 5
check out the image I've attached and tell me she doesn't look a bit wholesome.

That look does her a lot of favours in my book... which is dangerous for her...as Galahad seems to be going through one of his Ponn Farr phases at the moment... it must be the heat.

Someone should put a sign up at all airport terminals that Britain is under quarantine!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back