• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Pretty Persuasion

GKarsEye

Regular
Very highly recommended.

If you like dark humor and social commentary painted in very broad and blunt colors, this film is for you.

It's about three girls who falsely accuse their English teacher (guy from Office Space) of sexual assault, though it's really about how the main character uses and manipulates everyone. The characters and situations are often cartoonish, so it makes the big bold moments not unreasonable.

Teenage sexuality is the defining theme here, but unlike the American Pie idiocy that's all the rage these days, this film deals with its relation to adults (ie, what a middle aged man may really be thinking when he watches American Pie) and sexual double standards.
Perfect illustrative line: "But I don't know how to be sexy, I'm only 15!"

But mostly it's just freakin' funny.

Steve Correll? From daily show? and new hit "40 Year Old Virgin"?

I havent heard of the flick you mentioned here in the midwest. Sounds good though...

I'll probbly have to wait for the DVD though. What title should I look for?

No, not The Office with Carrell, Office Space, the brilliant comedy by Mike Judge starring Ron (?) Livingston, who plays the teacher in the movie I'm talking about, called Pretty Persuasion (hence the thread title).

I was actually planning on seeing The 40 Yr Old Virgin but the theater didn't have it so I saw this instead.

It's about three girls who falsely accuse their English teacher (guy from Office Space) of sexual assault, though it's really about how the main character uses and manipulates everyone.

I went to see Sin City yesterday.. the unexpected male bashing made me leave the theatre half way into the movie. Going to the theatre for me these days is a riskful venture, as I feel I am paying to be denigrated. Thanks for the recommendation but I'm not sure I should risk it, especially when there is talk of sexual assault.

On the 40 year old Virgin... the title says it all. People are sinking low.

??... um, ok...

There is a very bad pattern in these movies lately. I thought it was obvious but apparently not.

Anyways, maybe I will see the movie after all - since the topic is unfortunately quite current - , if the reviews are positive.

IIRC, every single female in the movie was a half-naked whore. At least the men had the choice of being heroic, villainous, cannibalistic, Catholic, or... umm.... yellow.

As I recall, there weren't any unfucked-up characters in Sin City, and the best and noblest was a guy (the old cop). Meanwhile, all the women in the movie were whores or dressed like them...

That and .. er .. the entire writing staff of the movie, as well as the director, his two assistants and three of four producers were all kind of .. er .. male :eek:

Nevermind people. I realize it will take a whole lot of ballkicking jokes - literal and figurative - before you get the point.

I just find it interesting to see what Fas says in NC17 and to compare it to the "I couldn't handle the male-bashing in this film" you see here. :)

Hypatia, as much as I have you pinned down... this time I'm glad you posted because with you I know you know exactly what i'm talking about. Go watch every one because you are the intended audience.

Anyway, another new movie to add to the list here. Feel free to play dumb: Bewitched.
524213959.jpg

But of course i'm the crazy one for saying what others think and don't say... this is why you deserve this.

Fas, are you saying Bewitched is a "Ball Bashing" movie?

If so, it's either very different from the series or you have a very extreme view of "Ball Bashing"

No, not ball bashing. I'm saying movies, posters, characterizations, etc. have become insulting and that people should not be comfortable with this or tolerate it. Nobody can deny me that. Pretty persuation- okay, it may be fair, haven't seen it yet. One chance. 40 year old virgin- obviously implied message is that bachelors are losers.

Another example of a movie that illustrates this some months ago would be kid's movie George and the Dragon. God that was bad. I could give lots and lots of examples but just do a google search, there are websites out there monitoring this.

But that Bewitched poster isn't about man/woman, it's about Witch/Mortal.

40 year old Virgin, I haven't seen, but from the commercials, it seems it's his male friends that are giving him the riot act about it, not women. How is this any different thana movie that would portray a 40 year old Bacholorette as a loser?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, only trying to get a feel for where you're coming from.

Why would you automatically equate batchelor with virgin? Just because the kooks hate sex outside of marriage doesn't make that the norm.

40 year old virgin- obviously implied message is that bachelors are losers.

Actually the film seems to be half sex jokes and half mature romance.

Really, you're fucking paranoid, Fas.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back