• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Game of Thrones, HBO series

hypatia

Regular
I'm happy to see the return of HBO's "Treme", of course. It really is about the best new television out there right now, for me at least.

But the new series "Game of Thrones" looks like it won't have to do much to be a weekly "record if it's on too late" show now. I'm a sucker for period pieces and the preview make this look a lot less groan-worthy than most attempts in this direction I've seen.

It premiers Arpril 17th.

Game of Thrones

Peter Dinklage, Sean Bean, Aiden Gillen, Lena Heady -- it's gonna be impressive for the talent alone. And if you haven't read the books... well, hang on to your hats, because it's quite the ride.

I just started the books because of the impressive cast. I'm midway into the second novel, and I have only one word: Wow.

The previews make it look like it might actually be interesting. I don't tend to know writers by their reputation, I just hope it has good writing. HBO sometimes has very well-produced, talent-filled tripe. But even their semi-successfull attempts can prove highly entertaining.

I guess I'll find out in a week and... some days. The darned thing is probably broadcast after I can watch it. :LOL:

I was gonna watch this first to see if I liked it & then maybe pick up the books. The problem is... I don't have HBO though, so I don't know when I'd get a chance to watch it.

Hopefully they'll put it on Netflix like they did Spartacus.

I read a little about the books when the trailer for this first came out and I'm not sure if I'd like it. Way too many characters for me... that normally throws me off.

HBO is pretty expensive. I've almost given it up this year and last, but their shows are the main ones I watch, when they are in production.

I can do without gasoline. I'll start hitch-hiking on the highway to get to work. :bolian:

I go back & forth... when you have the channels there's never anything on. When you don't there's always one or two things you want to watch. & I hate when you have like 500 channels the crap that is on is on at different times all over the place.

Yea, it seems like that sometimes. (Nothing good on t.v. helps me get caught up on my DVR recordings, though. :D)

Book THREE is by far my favorite of the 4 out so far. I love the new perspectives. =)

I cannot wait! It's a huge countdown in this house.

Last edited:
So I've decided to jump on this bandwagon, but also I canceled HBO recently, so there's that.

I tried to start reading Game of Thrones a couple of months ago but couldn't get into it because there's so many names hitting you on the head in the beginning and I just couldn't be bothered to give a shit and was more in a mindset to read nonfiction, anyway.

But then I burnt out on non-fiction so last night I picked up a paperback copy of the book and started again and am more open to revisit the fantasy genre. I do wanna see what all the fuss is about.

As for the series, I'll be waiting for the blu-ray but will check in on reviews and opinions here and there.

Critical update: I'm about 100 pages into the book and I rescinded my order to cancel HBO (because I forgot that this also the channel that has boxing), so yay I can participate in pop culture!

GKE, I think that's great you gave it another shot. I remember quitting the first time in the middle of the prologue. I don't know why, but I did.

Then I started again, got past the prologue and into that first (Bran's) POV and that's all she wrote. :)

Who are your favorite characters so far? Both you and Admiral?

Of the POV characters, Tyrion and Bran. Non POV, Renly. No other comments. Well, on to "A Storm of Swords". Out of curiosity, without spoilers, what's everyone's favourite of the series?

GKE, I think that's great you gave it another shot. I remember quitting the first time in the middle of the prologue. I don't know why, but I did.

Then I started again, got past the prologue and into that first (Bran's) POV and that's all she wrote. :)

Who are your favorite characters so far? Both you and Admiral?

As of right now I'm already into the 300s. A stormy Saturday and spending most of a a windy Sunday minding a 10-yr old boy addicted to Assassin's Creed provides ample reading opportunity.

Favorite characters? I guess the potential future super-ninja team of John Snow and that tomboy-ish Stark girl. He's a firebrand warrior type, and she's just started taking some weird superman sword lessons, and they're friends and outliers. I don't know how many years this series is covering but it looks they're being set up to be some Wonder Twins like bad-assery.

I enjoyed it well enough too and yes mostly because there were landscapes, swords and boobs in HD, but if I wasn't already reading the book concurrently I wouldn't have been able to keep track of who is who. For example when the Starks were brought the news that her sister ran away, I bet anyone who didn't read the book wouldn't have known that this sister was married to the dude laying dead in the beginning.

They raised the ages of younger characters, which isn't surprising considering how young everyone in the book is.

I really liked the opening. Scary monsters! So far in the book they haven't told me more about these monsters and I'm frustrated. I'm afraid nothing as cool as the opening will show up this season.

Casting is excellent, everybody really looks like what was described in the book.

I enjoyed it well enough too and yes mostly because there were landscapes, swords and boobs in HD, but if I wasn't already reading the book concurrently I wouldn't have been able to keep track of who is who. For example when the Starks were brought the news that her sister ran away, I bet anyone who didn't read the book wouldn't have known that this sister was married to the dude laying dead in the beginning.

I haven't read the books (yet), and I was able to figure that out.

Loved it so far. Sure, it's swords-n-lords, but it's also tits, mud, blood, beasts, incest, death... Awesome stuff!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back