B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 21st 06, 11:41   #1
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Star Trek XI .. after all?

Article in TrekToday

.. without Berman involved .. guess that could mean it wouldn't suck completely. Not sure the concept sounds too thrilling though ..
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 06, 12:17   #2
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Re: Star Trek XI .. after all?

Chilli beat me to it... curses...

From comingsoon.net via the mighty Millarworld...

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=59586

Quote:

Paramount Pictures is breathing life into its "Star Trek" franchise by setting Mission: Impossible III helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the 11th "Trek" feature, aiming for a 2008 release.

Variety says that Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, Abrams' producing team from Lost, also will produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

The project, to be written by Abrams and "M:i:III" screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

Created by Gene Roddenberry, "Star Trek" has been Hollywood's most durable performer other than James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

Abrams also created Alias, which ABC is wrapping up in May.
This was originally supposed to be Trek IV? IIRC...

Its offical, its a good team and its got no Braga or Berman. As for the concept, i'd say it depends on actors, script and adherance to trek continuity. It also has to have a look somewhere between Enterprise and TOS. Difficult.

As for casting, i vote myself as Kirk. I can do all the pauses mid sentence and the posturing and everything...

Original variety article here...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...mp;s=h&p=0
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 06, 12:47   #3
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Getting anyone for Spock sounds like a challenge. Especially as they established what he looked like when young in Star Trek III .. finding an actor that somewhere fits in there, and manages to be Spock, doesn't sound easy .. Nimoy just owns the role way too much IMHO.

And yes, this is a very old idea, IIRC, Harve Bennett wrote a script for this idea, that was rejected at the time. 20 years later, they seem to have decided it's a good idea after all I guess .. or decided that it's better than any other ideas up on the horizon ..
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 06, 14:57   #4
hypatia
First One

First of all, it's too soon. I don't know if the Trek fans have gotten over being infurated with the last two series (and Enterprise in particular) to forgive, forget, and shell out 8 bucks a ticket.

But there is another thing that bugs me from the start. (This will probably guarantee it's success, though.) They will be relying on a lot of sentiment from fans on this one. So much so, I'd almost venture to call it a "fan fiction" story idea. Since those seem to be quite popular with most people other than me, it might be what makes this work, however, economically.

I just see it as further proof that "Hollywood" just isn't trying to come up with really new ideas anymore.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 06, 15:03   #5
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Well, as far as the too soon Hyp, keep in mind, it does suggest they are eyeing a 2008 release, and when they put Enterprise to bed in mid 2005 (And Nemesis was released in 2002), they said they were gonna let it rest for 3 years or so (at least), so a mid 2008 release does make 3 years.

I do happen to agree it should perhaps rest a bit longer, but, to me at least, it's not all that unexpected.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 06, 15:08   #6
hypatia
First One

Oh, it's not surprising at all that they are trying to revive a dead cash cow.
Old April 21st 06, 15:12   #7
Sindatur
Techno-mage

*GIGGLE*
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 06, 15:13   #8
hypatia
First One

If getting interesting characters and stories back on screen anywhere can only be done through Star Trek, then I'll help them revive that dead cow, too, by the way.

Old April 21st 06, 15:58   #9
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Someone on another forum mentioned that Trek should always look to its future, fresh sci-fi ideas and less risk of messing up continuity.

I felt a lot of sympathy with that view. Hopefully, the next series will follow this idea. I've also noticed that the Star Trek online role playing is to be set 15-20 years after TNG, and that many of the writers and designers are onboard. That sounds a bit more promising.

http://www.startrek.perpetual.com/

And where all of this leave's JMS's dreams on continuation is a mystery...
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 06, 16:13   #10
hypatia
First One

I fear we missed the ball on that one. AT least I was under the impression that the hope was they could say to WB "look, you want the success of Trek? You have something that might work... B5".

But WB just isn't interested. In this day of entertainment "make a billion or be considered a failure" market, can you really blame them?