B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 11th 10, 01:53   #41
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: What's your rewatching thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
I have to say, I'm a little bummed that JMS is going to do a Superman comic. Does anyone else on here read his comics? I just don't think there's that much to work with in Superman. It's just a simple concept, which has been beaten to death. I still want more B5 comics, with all the wonderful complexity he could work with in that universe (again, I know). I just think he's going in the wrong direction with this. I still might read it though.
I'll definitely be reading it. Sure, I'd love more B5 comics (with decent art this time, please) but I'm interested to see what he'll do with Superman. I've only read a few Supes since I was a kid and all of them were superficial at best. With the opportunity to relaunch Superman and not be tied to the 22-page format, I think he'll do good things.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th 10, 05:23   #42
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ranger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlonlovechild View Post
watched 'shadow dancing' last night......

Why the hell did the shadow fleet come out of hyperspace so far away from their target ?
Straight from the horse's mouth (via JMS Speaks on the Lurker's Guide): " Why didn't the Shadows emerge right next to their targets?
So they could drive any other ships toward the center, into the killing zone. If they come in into the center, everybody splits in every possible direction, and that makes running 'em all down harder.

If the shadows were to materialize in the midst of the refugee ships, they'd just scatter in every direction. The purpose is to wipe out all those ships quickly and efficiently...so you start at the outer fringe, drive everyone inward, and then wipe them all out. To jump into the middle of them makes it very hard to do this...it's like herding kittens. "
In which case the Shadows would have boxed the refugee ships in by coming out of hyperspace at 8 points - the corners of a box. In theory 3 points in a big 3D triangle could work but that leaves lots of escape room.
Old February 11th 10, 05:26   #43
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
{snip}
As for the PPG, Sheridan might have had an unloaded one on him in plain sight, or one with a dead energy cap, knowing that it would be taken from him.
A little earlier Sheridan gives his wife the PPG in his hip holster, she hands it over.
Old February 12th 10, 00:16   #44
KoshN

Quote:
Yep, opposite the Super Bowl, in Colorado, anyway. I tend to forget it was a syndicated program then.
D'oh! that's right! I have no idea when it aired on FOX-53 here in the Pittsburgh, PA.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th 10, 22:10   #45
Shaal Mayan
First One

I would like to see more B5 period .I have been rewatching the series lately and it is just as good as it was when I first saw it ,years age
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st 10, 21:35   #46
Starkiller
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark
And up until ‘Z’ha’dum’, we see several humans who are spoiling for another war with the Minbari. But of course, the second Earth-Minbari War storyline got dropped. Or postponed…

Raw Shark
My bold. I've always been intrigued as to whether a second war between Earth and Minbar would ever occur. I can imagine many humans who would want to do to the Minbari what was done to them. Given Earth's technological advancements and acquisitions, it seems that Earth would be able to hand itself more adequately. Furthermore, since humanity is destined to reach 'first one' status and become just as the Vorlons, pure energy. Could the humans and Minbari repeat the mistakes of the Shadows and Vorlons? In essence humans and Minbari forming opposing ideological movements? I'm sure I read somewhere that a character (perhaps a Vorlon or other elder being) remarks something to the effect of "Earth and Minbar are friends, for now..."?
Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st 10, 22:46   #47
Raw Shark
Commander

Hmm, I don't remember that quote, does anyone else? But whether it's Sheridan being taught by Kosh, or given the White Star (with Vorlon tech), or if it's the secretive Earth agencies working with the Shadows and studying their tech, it is clear that Earth's future is being heavily influenced by the First Ones. And with their tech left behind, it appears they're not done. The kind of tech being used seems to dictate the actions of those using it. Sheridan and Delenn use Vorlon tech to establish the ISA and a new galactic order. EarthForce uses Shadow tech to build warships, which seem to be good only for destruction. And controlling them is a problem, so their use results in killing sprees and chaos. Rule by hidden hand. Oh, those sneaky First Ones...

Damn I miss B5!

Raw Shark

"Oh the peddlers of death always come calling, one more time...
Bearing promises of feeling fine..."
Zakk Wylde, Peddlers of Death
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd 10, 15:40   #48
Starkiller
Lurker

By my limited reckoning of Babylon 5 lore. Earthforce's experimentation and use of Shadow technology stopped after President Clark's corrupt regime was toppled? I'm not sure whether tampering with Shadow technology may have contributed to the "Great Burn" but it seems mankind becomes enlightened by the year 1,000,000 nonetheless. So if mankind evolves to become pure energy, wearing encounter suits which mimic that of the Vorlons and even taking their old homeworld as their own. Will any race stand in opposition?
Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd 10, 17:10   #49
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

There's evidence that the Minbari have gotten that far by that point too, as the ship which carries the pure-energy/encounter-suited human away from Sol going nova has a Rangers logo on the side, Minbari figure included. And JMS said afterward that the Minbari got that far, too. The Narns and Centauri, while possibly not extinct, didn't.

As I see it, it's the perfect partnership. The Minbari take on a older-mentor and wisdom-of-the-ancients role, guiding the younger human energy, while the Humans make sure the Minbari don't get stagnant. It's as if the Shadows and Vorlons worked together from the start, rather than in opposition.

Would anyone eventually oppose us? Of course. Just as we grew up and replaced the First Ones before us, someone will grow up and replace us. But as Sheridan is still remembered a million years later, perhaps we'll go more gracefully.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd 10, 20:51   #50
Raw Shark
Commander

Okay Starkiller, ready for spoilers?

There is a bunch of material about Earth and Shadow tech, before and after Clark. Clark's regime was short-lived, but Earth's obsession with Shadow tech was going on for some time before it. These are the people tasked with developing the weapons to fight and win the next war, and as far as they are concerned, the likely enemy is the Minbari (and the Shadows exploited this psychological fixation). With Humanity almost being annihilated the last time, they must win next time. This project also involves IPX and Psi Corps (see below).

Ivanova destroyed Clark's battlegroup of Shadow Omegas in 'Between the Darkness and the Light,' but we never find out where those ships came from. After Clark dies and the war is won, she then exits stage left and goes on to command the Warlock destroyer Titans, which is revealed in the short story 'Hidden Agendas' to be using Shadow tech as its central control system.

The Shadow hybrid ship that destroys the Cerberus in 'Crusade' (further explained and used in two of the unproduced scripts for the series) is one result of this project. And the Cerberus was destroyed in 2259, so the hybrid design is at least eight years old by the time 'Crusade' begins. Galen also, umm, interacts with one toward the end of the second Technomage novel (same event as Gideon's flashback of the Cerberus). And the unfilmed script for the season finale, 'End of the Line', really goes into who's building these ships and why.

So after Clark's death, Earth's interest in Shadow tech is still quite strong. The project continues, presumably carried out by IPX, EarthForce New Technologies Division, the Office of Planetary Security, and whoever else is lurking in the darkest corners of EarthDome. I know the short stories and unproduced scripts are not (yet) readily available, but they can be found. Cool stuff, too.

I'm halfway through the first Psi Corps novel, and there's a part where IPX is experimenting with organic tech they've found on Mars, 100 years before Babylon 5 begins. And the MRA, soon to be the Psi Corps, wants in. Really good book, I love Keyes' writing. Right man for the job.

Raw Shark

"And that, my friend, is how you win an Opium War."
Monty Burns
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote