B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 6th 06, 17:15   #91
hypatia
First One

Re: Latest Update from JMS

If this is an alternate universe, I'm not going back.

This one has a lot going on in it for JMS.

Yea, it is great to hear he's got some much goingon and he's so happy.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 06, 19:07   #92
babylon1122
Ambassador

I am so happy for JMS and agree with JoeDM. I do hope he doesn't take on tooooo much that he makes himself sick.

He sure does deserve the opportunites that are being presented to him. I can hardly wait for everything to get to either screen.
babylon1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th 06, 00:24   #93
Shaal Mayan
First One

I am happy for JMS and he certainly seems to be as well.
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th 06, 09:23   #94
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
Unfortunately he's removed his credit from the episode he'd written for Masters of Science Fiction after Sam Egan re-wrote it extensively.
Having seen what Sam Egan achieved on Jeremiah ... suddenly that doesn't sound quite so interesting anymore.
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th 06, 11:57   #95
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately he's removed his credit from the episode he'd written for Masters of Science Fiction after Sam Egan re-wrote it extensively.
Having seen what Sam Egan achieved on Jeremiah ... suddenly that doesn't sound quite so interesting anymore.
My feelings, exactly. Except...well, this is the article that prompted me to ask JMS about 'Watchbird' and I can't deny that Professor Hawking's involvement as well as the cast list does pique my interest. Some, at least.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th 06, 11:54   #96
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

GH, I love the animated avatar thing...

On a general note, the idea of more B5 in an up to date way, if done properly, now has me totally stoked. It seems to have taken a while to sink in though...
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 06, 15:39   #97
Elric
Ambassador

I haven't been here for a while and look what happens

Although more B5 will be great, I do have some doubts as to what can be done in a half hour story? It would feel like it was over before it really began.

Does anyone else feel the same about this? Or is it maybe because we have become used to epic tales of galactic proportion?
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 06, 15:49   #98
vacantlook

Quote:
Although more B5 will be great, I do have some doubts as to what can be done in a half hour story? It would feel like it was over before it really began.
If one takes a lot of regular B5 episodes and only runs the A-plot, excluding the B-plot (and depending on the episode also the C-plot), the one primary plot would end up being much the same amount of time that each of these minis are going to be.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 06, 18:25   #99
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Less commercials an entire "one hour" episode only ran about 42 miniutes, and that, as vacantlook rightly points out, usually included one and sometimes two subplots. Not to mention extra little scenes that were planted to provide links to the arc, so 30 minutes is more time than you might think.

Even setting TV aside, length isn't always important. Er, size doens't always matter. Um, -- Well, in terms of stories, a really good short story can sometimes pack a punch that even a great novel can't quite. A novel (or series of novels) can tell the story of a whole life, but a short story is a kind of drama concentrate - stripped down, with no frills or extras. The Twilight Zone was at its best when it was a half-hour (25 minutes or so in the 1960s) At an hour the show often seemed padded and sloppy. TZ scripts were often like well-told jokes with narratives that were just enough to get you to the punchline that was the point of the story.

Depending on the kind of tale JMS plans to tell, 30 minutes could be just tine.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 06, 19:27   #100
Elenopa
First One

Have you lot ever watched 'Wallace and Gromitt'?

I'm always amazed that they only last half and hour.
Elenopa is offline   Reply With Quote