B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 23rd 06, 17:56   #21
Emh
Lurker

Re: JMS at SDCC - the news

Wow, awesome news. I love the Ron Howard quote.
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 18:30   #22
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
I guess I'm a little upset about his answer regarding not doing a movie without Biggs and Andreas. Life goes on.
Recoil, Andreas just died, only five months ago. He wasn't just an actor JMS worked with; he was JMS's friend. And, JMS is a not just a writer: he is a human being, subject to all of the emotional ups and downs of all human beings. Being a creative person, he's probably more affected by them (and before anyone tries to engage me in an argument, I do not mean that creative people have more feelings than other people; just that their emotions affect what they write/create, so it has more of a tangible, sometimes financial impact on them).

So if he's still feeling the sting of a recent death, and he just a week or two ago got very choked up when answering somebody who asked at a panel about telling the Lyta/G'Kar story (I can't be the only one who listened to that mp3 file of Heroes Con before it got pulled), I don't know how you can expect that he'd be ready to just plow full speed ahead into a big, feature Babylon 5 film, something that would require him carefully plotting around the absence of two major characters, both people he liked and respected, and one of whom has just passed and whom he called friend.

To say "Life goes on" at this point is a pretty cold sentiment, IMHO.

Give the man a little time to deal with his grief, for cryin' out loud. Probably none of us have been precisely in his shoes - having to mourn both a friend, and the death of a beloved character he created - so have a little heart.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 18:44   #23
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Am I the only one here who is actually equally, if not more excited, that other JMS works are being looked at seriously?
Nope. I love a lot of his non-B5 stuff and look forward to each thing.

Quote:
I guess I'm a little upset about his answer regarding not doing a movie without Biggs and Andreas. Life goes on. And there is plenty of B5 that doesn't require those two characters to be present.
Correction...He said he can't see how to structure something really big without Andreas and Rick--for now. Possibly down the line, in a year or so he'll be able to.

You have to understand that JMS has not only lost characters with Andreas and Rick's passing, he's lost people with whom he worked for years, people who brought his writing to life and people who he called friends.

I was at the Heroes con in Charlotte over the weekend of the Fourth of July and saw him choke up completely when asked if the Lyta/G'kar adventures might be seen in another form. His reply was that the character's gone-he can't write G'Kar any longer. This is hard for him and life doesn't simply pick up and 'go on' as if nothing had happened when you're grieving.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 19:28   #24
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Quote:
I suddenly had a wild and crazy thought. Might the "Lost Tales" include Demon in the Dust, or whatever the sequel to Harlan Ellison's thing was supposed to be called?
Was it Demon with a Glass Hand? I had the same thought as well. I'm sure all of this is a result of digging through old scripts.

Other random ideas of mine include overlaps with the novel series, and a Crusade / Legend of the Rangers continuation / wrap up? Who knows... Focusing upon core B5 characters whilst touching upon these storylines would be great. Was there any information on how long these would be? Are we talking a series of one hour shows, or longer tv movies?

As for the movie, I respect his intentions and feelings. He is also really, really busy right now, in case you didn't notice. For me, a B5 movie can wait, for now

Rising Stars and Midnight Nation are both superb, and would trnaslate to screen well. You could tell that just by reading through them. i hope both of these projects take off.
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 20:22   #25
vacantlook

Quote:
I love the Ron Howard quote.
I do too.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 20:57   #26
KoshN

Quote:
Here’s the news in the order JMS gave it at the panel. I’m posting it pretty much simultaneously to the moderated newsgroup and to JMSNews and B5TV.

[....]
--And there’s something else…WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS declined mainly because he can’t yet picture structuring a B5 movie “…as long as Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.” Maybe in a year or two he’ll be able to but right now he can’t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of short films—little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe. They said, “Okay.” There’s a network already interested in carrying them but they’re also planned for direct to DVD. This will be “Babylon 5 – The Lost Tales’, a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that he’s rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative support – in writing. They said, “Okay.” And JMS wants to direct them. They said, “Okay.” The first will be three individual stories about three of the main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September, post-production Oct.-Dec. and they’ll probably come out the second quarter of 2007.
I should have known better, but I was hoping for something to do with Crusade, just like I was in 2001 when the Legend of the Rangers idea was picked <u>instead</u> of a continuation of Crusade. Maybe JMS avoided Crusade this time, because of Rick Biggs' connection to it. Rick died on May 22, 2004, two weeks <u>after</u> JMS's comment at Hawthorne (May 8, 2004):

Quote:

Audience: Out of all your cancelled projects, which one would you like to resume first?

JMS: There's only been a couple. (laughter) He's being mean to me! Umm...Crusade. That's the obvious choice because that one was cut short...it was shot in it's cradle by unfair means and that pisses me off. So I will fix that one way or the other.
Otherwise, I think something about Crusade would be the obvious choice of what to start next in the B5 universe. It's the major story that's been left hanging for the last 7 years.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 21:18   #27
Shaal Mayan
First One

Quote:
I guess I'm a little upset about his answer regarding not doing a movie without Biggs and Andreas. Life goes on. And there is plenty of B5 that doesn't require those two characters to be present.
I have to agree with what Jan and AnalashokGrey said that was a pretty cold statement IMHO.I want a B5 movie as much as the next person but JMS is also human like the rest of us.And he actually knew both actors and I think I can safely assume that most people on this board never really knew Andreas or Rick that well.Have a little heart.
On the subject of the Changling sounds suddenly more interesting I love most mystery/thrillers and it's set in the 20's a favorite time period in history.
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 21:22   #28
hypatia
First One

It does sound very interesting, and promising.

Although I admit I'd likely see just about any movie if the script were written by JMS. He has a way of making a genre stretch and break its own limits like few authors can.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 22:15   #29
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Correction...He said he can't see how to structure something really big without Andreas and Rick--for now. Possibly down the line, in a year or so he'll be able to.
If the so-called and long-rumored Telpath War feature exists in outline or even rough draft script form, there's a good chance that it feautured all all the regular actors. The film was to be a big payoff reward to those who had worked so hard, for so long, for so little. Undoubtedly, G'Kar and Franklin were featured somehow. I believe G'Kar, in particular, may have been featured heavily. After his two year journey with Lyta, he may have become her closest friend. Having nearly destroyed himself over his hatred of the Centauri, he was spared and became something greater. He might have been the voice of reason desparately trying to discourage Lyta from following her self-destructive vendetta to its end. He would ultimately fail, thus providing the emotional context that G'Kar always brings to the screen.

So when JMS says he doesn't know how to structure it right now, I'm thinking he needs to do some major character shifts to make all the pieces fit again, and his heart just isn't in it right now.

For now, I'll take LOST TALES, or any tales. If they're all written and directed by jms, that can't be bad at all.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 06, 22:41   #30
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
For now, I'll take LOST TALES, or any tales. If they're all written and directed by jms, that can't be bad at all.
I think the 'directed by' part is what's most exciting to me. I so loved SiL and it wasn't just the script and the music. JMS said that his favorite stories were 'two guys in an elevator' and that he loves using the skills he learned writing plays to turn things on their heads. I'm hoping for a number of off-format shows that he can do so well.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote