B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 29th 06, 15:10   #31
hypatia
First One

Re: Big news from JMS by late June or so

Exactly. Reread what JMS wrote and you'll see it's just as Sindatur says.

Quote:
and it moves me from being marginally known in the film business right into the catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with Akiva Goldman.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th 06, 01:25   #32
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Well, to be fair, the statement doesn't really make any comparison whatsoever between their respective talents or successes. It merely said "propelled into A-Listness immediately, like what happened to Akiva Goldsman." (paraphrased)
Except that being propelled to the "A" list precisely is a measure of success, and therefore part of the comparison JMS was making. And, as I noted, very good films as well as very bad ones have been made from Goldsman scripts - and it is often hard to tell from the finished product how good or bad the screenplay was. (Since directors routinely re-write scripts, actors ad lib and films can be entirely remade in post-produciton. Listen to Barry Sonnenfeld's commentary track on Men in Black sometime to find out how little the finished film may have in common with what was written and even what was shot.)

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th 06, 02:07   #33
hypatia
First One

That's one of the encouraging things about it being Ron Howard who is interested, isn't it?

He isn't known to be a butcher of stories, is he?
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th 06, 02:57   #34
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
He isn't know to be a butcher of stories, is he?
Exactly, that's one of the very good things about Howard being interested in the script.

As for Goldsman:

Writer Filmogrpahy:

1. I Am Legend (2007) (pre-production)
2. The Da Vinci Code (2006) (screenplay)
3. Cinderella Man (2005) (screenplay)
4. I, Robot (2004) (screenplay)
5. A Beautiful Mind (2001) (written by)
6. Practical Magic (1998) (screenplay)
7. Lost in Space (1998) (written by)
8. Batman & Robin (1997) (written by)
9. A Time to Kill (1996) (screenplay)
10. Batman Forever (1995) (screenplay)
11. Silent Fall (1994) (written by)
12. The Client (1994) (screenplay)

It does seem that most of his better scripts were adapted from other works, but doing a good adaptation is a talent all its own. Notice that three of them were for Ron Howard. Goldsman is now also a producer, and is listed as such on the upcoming remake of I am Legend, the Richard Matheson non-supernatural vampire story previously filmed with Charleton Heston as The Omega Man and with Vincent Price as The Last Man on Earth

Regards,

Joe
Old July 12th 06, 14:30   #35
Shaal Mayan
First One

WOW Not something I am interested in but good for him.
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 06, 03:32   #36
Joseph DeMartino

Just to stir the pot a bit -

on page 14 of the Volume 8 of the scripts series, JMS mentions a recent meeting at Warner Bros. about the possible future of the B5 universe. He doesn't put much emphasis on it, and allows how such meetings have taken place a number of times since the show went out of production, and that nothing concrete has come of any of them. But he does say that this meeting might have a little more going for it. For one thing they flew a WB exec from New York in for the meeting, one who had been involved with B5 and PTEN in the old days. For another he got to point out to the WB brass that they were still taling about B5 all these years later, not Kung Fu: The Legend Continues or Time Traxx or any of the other old PTEN shows, and that B5, not the others, that had grossed over half-a-billion dollars in worldwide DVD sales.

And all of that was before the news about The Changeling had been made public. (Although it is impossible to know what might have been going around the industry grapevine at the time.)

I find all of this ... Interesting. That's all I'll say, just ... interesting.

Regards,

Joe
Old July 13th 06, 09:12   #37
A_M_Swallow
First One

I smell new Babylon 5 episodes straight to DVD, cutting the middle men out. No tv studios messing this one up or taking all the profits. They may release the episodes for download.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 06, 13:02   #38
Jan
Psi Cop

I'll be attending San Diego Comic Con next week and JMS is scheduled there. At Charlotte he hoped to be able to make the announcement at SDCC so I'll be sure to post anything he reports.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 06, 14:44   #39
Les_Greenhalgh
Lurker

WB have just started a new straight to DVD division. In the podcasts from Charlotte (now removed) what JMS hints at does seem to very much tie in with a straight to DVD release B5 some-thing-or-other. I would say more, but as JMS clearly didn't want the postcasts up, I think those of us that have heard it need keep our lips sealed for a bit longer. :-)

Personally if this were all it turned out to be, I would be a bit disappointed. I would like to see JMS do something on a bit larger scale, e.g. Telepath War mini series.
Les_Greenhalgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 06, 19:04   #40
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

I'm not jumping up and down over this news. As much as I'd love to have new Babylon 5, I'm not really eager to have new Babylon 5 without G'Kar. And, honestly, it sticks in my craw just a little that it took WB this long to grok the moneymaking potential of original-cast B5. Just late enough that Andreas won't get to benefit from it.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote