B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 24th 10, 23:29   #1
Kara Baxter
Telepath

What's your rewatching thoughts?

So i was rewatching B5 season one...

And I find myself analyzing the plot stories.

what were your new thoughts when you watched B5 again?

Did you notice new things?

I noticed that they brought in the Narn vs Centari conflict right away...a plot that they kinda dismiss over season one, but pick it up moreso in the shadow war.

I also noticed they brought in Sinclair's back history early on re: battle of the line. I thought it was later on than it was.
Old January 25th 10, 05:55   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: What's your rewatching thoughts?

I love "Midnight on the Firing Line" for the recurring plot elements it brings in:

1) the Narn-Centauri conflict
2) similarly, Londo and G'kar's personal conflict -- including their ultimate fate!
3) Talia's relationship with Ivanova
4) Ivanova's history with PsiCorps (and some of her troubled family history)
5) Kosh's actual appearance, and a lot of his nature
6) Sinclair's respect for the Minbari (who he's actually fought) versus the Narns

And probably not a few I've forgotten. As a setup episode, I think it's rivaled only by the first episode of "Firefly" (which was twice as long!).

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th 10, 05:59   #3
Jade Jaguar
First One

When I rewatch B5, I have no thoughts... I let my mind become a blank slate - the Zen of watching B5 takes over.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th 10, 17:49   #4
XRogue
Commander

I try to notice little details I didn't pick up on the first time thru, pay more attention to set dressings or little things that you can tell were meant one way to begin with (the marriage ceremony in the first season, for instance, you can see it was meant as set up for Sinclair and Delenn later, and then got left dangling) and then were changed later as part of a trapdoor. The main thing that stays consistent at each rewatching is my enjoyment of some fine storytelling.
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th 10, 19:03   #5
aajay
Ranger

I've rewatched the series several time - even including the episodes that I really don't care for - and each time I pick up some line of dialog or reference that makes me think..."o NOW that makes more sense".
I also find that I've been liking the episodes that I originally didn't care for more upon rewatching.
aajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th 10, 19:39   #6
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajay View Post
I've rewatched the series several time - even including the episodes that I really don't care for - and each time I pick up some line of dialog or reference that makes me think..."o NOW that makes more sense".
I also find that I've been liking the episodes that I originally didn't care for more upon rewatching.
Agreed. Episodes that didn't strike me well on a first viewing seem better the more times you watch them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th 10, 01:38   #7
Kara Baxter
Telepath

yea, i never knew or paid attention that Delenn was building the chrysalis all thruout the series...i just noticed it when she changed.
Old January 26th 10, 14:10   #8
K_Roon
Lurker

I am always surprised by how early Morden appears in Season 1.
K_Roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th 10, 15:51   #9
XRogue
Commander

I so love that scene where Vir says what he wants....the first time I was thinking, that'll never happen, then it did....that was CLASS right there.
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th 10, 05:24   #10
Raw Shark
Commander

I’ve tried Jade Jaguar’s Zen method, but my mind always kicks into high gear instead. Indications of where the series was going are everywhere!

Like aajay, I also find myself really liking eps that I previously didn’t like so much. ‘Knives’ is one for sure. And ‘The Quality of Mercy’. 'Midnight on the Firing Line' was one I always liked. Tricky to cram so much info into a single episode.

To answer your question: In ‘Acts of Sacrifice’, Franklin is speaking to the Lumati about helping other races whose lives are at risk. Taq tells him: “We would neither help nor harm them, it is not our place to interfere. The way for one race to help another is to allow evolution to run its course. It’s for their own good.”

Parallels here. The first part of this describes how the Vorlons want others to see them, though they are actually covert interventionists. The second is similar to the Shadows’ philosophy, evolution being the key to growth. And the third is how the Vorlons and Shadows both see themselves, doing what is best for the younger races. A bit of foreshadowing here, a full year and a half before we learn what the two races are really doing. And the name ‘Lumati’ implies they are illuminating things for us. That’s how I read into it, anyway.

And up until ‘Z’ha’dum’, we see several humans who are spoiling for another war with the Minbari. But of course, the second Earth-Minbari War storyline got dropped. Or postponed…

Raw Shark
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote