B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > A new river > B5.reborn

Old January 18th 22, 15:15   #91
LateArrival
Ambassador

Re: B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I remember reading somewhere that The CW might get sold at some point in the next 18 months. I wonder if that impacts things with this reboot. Apparently JMS did comment on it, and made it sound like it shouldn't affect the first season, but man, he may be faced with another PTEN network thing right out of the gate this time around...

Argh - not again! Maybe get the S1 reboot and then Boom?

Aside from what happened with S4/S5, weren't there similar issues even getting the original pilot rolling? Maybe there is a parallel with entities currently gathering (pun) IP for digital use like they gobbled up physical stations in the 90s for network affiliates. Would it be better to have even an incomplete reboot than nothing at all?
Old January 18th 22, 16:40   #92
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

No idea on the truth of it, but some fun rumours / hearsay / ideas on this channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk...kXF0eRSKgH-TFw

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 22, 23:19   #93
Jan
Psi Cop

News from JMS. It's not what we'd hoped, but not all bad.
----
Quote:
Today, about an hour ago, Deadline Hollywood announced the slate of pilot scripts being picked up for production by The CW. Babylon 5 was not on that list.

When a pilot script is not picked up to production, 99.999% of the time, that’s the end of the road for the project, the script is dead.

However: shortly before that piece was published, I received a call from Mark Pedowitz, President of The CW. (I should mention that Mark is a great guy and a long-time fan of B5. He worked for Warners when the show was first airing, and always made sure we got him copies of the episodes before they aired because he didn’t want to wait to see what happened next.)

Calling the pilot “a damned fine script,” he said he was taking the highly unusual step of rolling the project and the pilot script into next year, keeping B5 in active development while the dust settles on the sale of the CW.

Here’s the bottom line:

Yesterday, Babylon 5 was in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2022.

Today, Babylon 5 is in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2023.
----
https://www.patreon.com/posts/62084557
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th 22, 00:54   #94
LateArrival
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
News from JMS. It's not what we'd hoped, but not all bad.
----
Quote:
Today, about an hour ago, Deadline Hollywood announced the slate of pilot scripts being picked up for production by The CW. Babylon 5 was not on that list.

When a pilot script is not picked up to production, 99.999% of the time, thatís the end of the road for the project, the script is dead.

However: shortly before that piece was published, I received a call from Mark Pedowitz, President of The CW. (I should mention that Mark is a great guy and a long-time fan of B5. He worked for Warners when the show was first airing, and always made sure we got him copies of the episodes before they aired because he didnít want to wait to see what happened next.)

Calling the pilot ďa damned fine script,Ē he said he was taking the highly unusual step of rolling the project and the pilot script into next year, keeping B5 in active development while the dust settles on the sale of the CW.

Hereís the bottom line:

Yesterday, Babylon 5 was in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2022.

Today, Babylon 5 is in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2023.
----
https://www.patreon.com/posts/62084557

Argh. At least there is still the possibility of hope.
Old February 4th 22, 02:12   #95
hypatia
First One

I wonder what the extra time might change someone's mind. Or does the sale mean the next round of approved projects will be chosen by a different group of people?
Old February 4th 22, 08:35   #96
Springer
Telepath

Sounds like it might be dependent upon the current President of The CW remaining in his job after the sale? Here's hoping.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th 22, 20:34   #97
Ubik
Commander

Disappointing outcome. I'd put money on it not happening, despite the statement. If they're not excited enough to pick it up now, I don't see how that changes in a year.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th 22, 20:55   #98
Jan
Psi Cop

This is what JMS replied to somebody:

Quote:
Apparently the decision making process was heavily weighed by pre-existing deals and commitments that had to be honored.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th 22, 00:17   #99
LateArrival
Ambassador

Quote:

Quote:
Apparently the decision making process was heavily weighed by pre-existing deals and commitments that had to be honored.

Was looking around to see what shows might be on the horizon, cancelled or renewed shows, etc, and noticed this article...

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/cw...ws-1235148174/

" The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year), but a new majority owner like Nexstar could change that by shifting the CW programming target away from the 18-34 demographic. Focusing on an older demo or taking the CWís content in a more homey-heartland direction as the way to boost ratings and viewership, and thus ad sales. "
Old February 5th 22, 03:58   #100
Kraig
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateArrival View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Was looking around to see what shows might be on the horizon, cancelled or renewed shows, etc, and noticed this article...

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/cw...ws-1235148174/

" The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year), but a new majority owner like Nexstar could change that by shifting the CW programming target away from the 18-34 demographic. Focusing on an older demo or taking the CWís content in a more homey-heartland direction as the way to boost ratings and viewership, and thus ad sales. "
The more interesting quote from the article you mention: "The streaming offerings are tiny compared to competition from giants like Netflix and Disney Plus ó but itís more than Nexstar has now, and could be utilized in an entirely new way as HBO Max and Paramount Plus have plans to take their future CW programming for their own platforms."
ďAs democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.Ē ó H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote