• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cast

Favorite recurring character: All seasons

• Yes, I have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I haven't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cas

JMS in the voice of Mark Hamill: "Fans!"

Fans in the voice of Harrison Ford: "JMS! Together again, huh?"

JMS in the voice of Mark Hamill:"Wouldn't miss it."

Fans in the voice of Harrison Ford:"How are we doing?"

JMS in the voice of Mark Hamill:"Same as always."

Fans in the voice of Harrison Ford:"That bad, huh?"

:D

The article seems to suggest, if you don't click on the link, that JMS openly spread the rumor around, while he really just said "I can't comment". That was the only negative with that story. The cast roundup and the Paramount comment were good.

I can't understand why they are sabotaging their own project. I won't watch a b5 recasted movie. It wouldn't be Sheridan, it wouldn't be G'kar.

I do think doing a movie without the original cast could be a good idea though. If it's not the teep war, it's in the same universe, and it's done after this movie. Perhaps a prequel or an adaptation of the first teep trilogy book, or a original movie (ala b5LOTR).

I can't understand why they are sabotaging their own project. I won't watch a b5 recasted movie. It wouldn't be Sheridan, it wouldn't be G'kar.
I think they are having problems with British tax laws. The laws are designed to make work for UK actors and technicians. Colonyearth suspects that sufficient money will be spent in the UK that the limits can be ignored.

We may need to change this campaign to lobby British politicians. There is a UK General Election due this year, probably in May. A photo opportunity in say April showing Prime Minister Tony Blair seeing the new laws in action may be appreciated. Alternatively Chancellor of the Exchequer (chief tax man) Gordon Brown may like to get his face on tv. Neutrality may require members of the Conservative Party to be invited.

I think they are having problems with British tax laws. The laws are designed to make work for UK actors and technicians. Colonyearth suspects that sufficient money will be spent in the UK that the limits can be ignored.

We may need to change this campaign to lobby British politicians. There is a UK General Election due this year, probably in May. A photo opportunity in say April showing Prime Minister Tony Blair seeing the new laws in action may be appreciated. Alternatively Chancellor of the Exchequer (chief tax man) Gordon Brown may like to get his face on tv. Neutrality may require members of the Conservative Party to be invited.

I seriously doubt that will be a problem. Star Wars Episode 1 was made in England, as were the Harry Potter films. Dozens of other films have been made over here in the last few years, and I've never heard that any have run into these issues you mention.

And, if you think that lobbying politicians - or offering them TV spots - will work, then your understanding of British politics is severely limited. This ain't the US of A, mate, policies can't be bought with money. And the Conservatives aren't going to be able to help you ;)

Anyway, I'm firing off two letters tomorrow morning, with a few Babylon Bucks stuffed in for good measure. I seriously hope they listen...

HP Movies aren't an issue in the same vein, as they have a mandate for only UK (Mostly British) actors. Andrew is saying the reason for the recasting may be that they need to hire British Actors.

Were there not high calibre American actors in Star Wars films? I don't think tax laws will make them recast. If they do need UK names, get Marcus back. Hooray. Thought for a second that Walter Koenig would be a big enough name for the project... but he doesnt have a star on the walk of fame thing you have over there. It was fated for B5 to be screwed.

Were there not high calibre American actors in Star Wars films? I don't think tax laws will make them recast. If they do need UK names, get Marcus back. Hooray. Thought for a second that Walter Koenig would be a big enough name for the project... but he doesnt have a star on the walk of fame thing you have over there. It was fated for B5 to be screwed.

Yes there were, but, Star Wars has a Mega-Budget, and tax laws wouldn't neccessarily drive them over budget. THe thinking for B5, is the Budget will not be that large, and without British Actors they may be taxed out of budget. (This is only what I have gathered from Andrew's posts on the matter. I have no first hand experience with British Tax Laws)

I seriously doubt that will be a problem. Star Wars Episode 1 was made in England, as were the Harry Potter films. Dozens of other films have been made over here in the last few years, and I've never heard that any have run into these issues you mention.

And, if you think that lobbying politicians - or offering them TV spots - will work, then your understanding of British politics is severely limited. This ain't the US of A, mate, policies can't be bought with money. And the Conservatives aren't going to be able to help you ;)
The Harry Potter actors are (mostly) British, so no problems with the tax laws.

The old Star Wars films had different tax laws.

As for buying the Labour Party see the controversy over Formula One cars being allowed to advertise cigarettes.

As for the Conservative Party, Tony Blair may win the next election but no commercial organisation should bet its existence on him winning the one after that.

I sent my letter today! I also pasted a flyer on my office window in case there are other B5 fans at work.

Jendia

Re: Fighting for the original cast

First impression I had with Joe's post in this order: :LOL: :p :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :( :mad: :mad: :mad: What the fuck are they thinking!?! As Eye said, Paramount casted Shatner to Kirk's role and didn't even think about a second choice. Okay, maybe people like Boxleitner or Doyle aren't exactly A-list actors, but they were part of the show and they were creating the characters out from the script. If I see some uknkown "possible future young stars" or even "A-list celebrities" playing the roles, I don't even think about buying a ticket. I wouldn't have any need to see something like that.

So hell yeah, I will send letters to both adresses. Though I may tone my anger down a little bit. I can be very polite if I want to, you know? ;) Even though that's propably going to cost a little bit more than normally since I live in Finland. But money isn't an issua here! :D Let's see what happens.

Regards,
Marko Marin

Re: Fighting for the original cast

Ach, if an actor can play alongside someone like Jeff Bridges then he's big enough for me. Go Tron.

This film needs Londo, G'Kar and Sheridan played by the only people who played them. These people have 4 or 5 year head starts on any replacements they consider. Fools.

I would send a letter myself, but thanks to 100mph winds and being on an island, we havent had a plane or ferry leave the island in 2 or 3 days.

As I understand it, Galen is the only one at the moment to be up for recasting. I think everybody is WAY jumping the gun to think that the core cast would be recast. I also notice that Peter Woodward is involved in his own film project around the time when MOTS is shooting. Isn't it fairly likely that this is the reason for Galen's recasting, it's not the first time an actor in B5 has been recast due to other commitments.

Adam

As I understand it, Galen is the only one at the moment to be up for recasting

That's because you don't understand it at all, not in any way, shape or form. Please go back and read the post that started this thread. Nobody is jumping any guns. We know what we are talking about because we have been given the information from people in a position to know who cannot publicly comment on any of this themselves.

Is that clear enough for everybody or do I have to find a way to say the same thing in words of one syllable?

WB wants to re-cast characters from the original series, not because the actors aren't available or aren't interested, but as a matter of policy.

I would have spelled this out in more excruciating detail in the first place, but frankly I thought you people were #$@E$@#! smarter than this and that you'd be able to understand what the word "re-casting" means in this context. I'll know better next time.

Joe

We heard loud and clear first time Joe, but some people really have trouble with the message...

I trust Jan, Amy and CE's sources...

We heard loud and clear first time Joe, but some people really have trouble with the message...

Yeah, there are a bunch of Herazade clones out there. :p

Look,

Before you all be too hard on swankyg here (and I think JoeD has already exceeded this) maybe you should note that the person only has 2 posts on this site and just registered here less than a week ago. To me that says he probably doesn't know Joe D or his reputation or his sources that well, and he is skeptical. I told a friend about this and he reacted the same way. Not everyone knows JoeD well enough to simply take what he says at gospel. Such things should be politely explained to newer or less frequent members of this site, as their help and their friends help is really what will push this thing in our favor, and conversely turning them off, will only hurt us more.

Just because a person doesn't post here often does not mean that that person doesn't read posts often, nor does it mean that that person hasn't read posts on other boards they frequent potentially more often that cover the same subjects.

Look,

Before you all be too hard on swankyg here (and I think JoeD has already exceeded this)

Agreed.

... maybe you should note that the person only has 2 posts on this site and just registered here less than a week ago. To me that says he probably doesn't know Joe D or his reputation or his sources that well, and he is skeptical. I told a friend about this and he reacted the same way. Not everyone knows JoeD well enough to simply take what he says at gospel. Such things should be politely explained to newer or less frequent members of this site, as their help and their friends help is really what will push this thing in our favor, and conversely turning them off, will only hurt us more.

Agreed, but I wasn't referring to swankyg. ;)

Before you all be too hard on swankyg here (and I think JoeD has already exceeded this) maybe you should note that the person only has 2 posts

I respectfully disagree. You don't need a hight post count to read the English language. And you don't need to know anything about the reputation of a particular fan to see what information and arguments have already been presented in a discussion before you add your two cents. This nonsense about "maybe it is just Galen because Peter W's doing another movie" was demolished before I posted the first message in this thread, as was the idaea that only the new character roles were being filled with new actors. (Along with the "theory" that the original characters except Galen weren't appearing at all anyway, so this couldn't be happening.)

If you're going to join a discussion in progress, read the discussion. That's called common courtesy. (At least it used to be, when it actually was still common.) And don't tell me people don't have the time to read a long thread. Why is it that people who don't have time to educate themselves on what has already been discussed always find time to post their uninformed opinions?

I've been hopping from board to board for the past several days and I repeatedly run across these, "But maybe...", "Gee, do you think...", "Gosh are you sure?..." posts all over the place - weeks into this campaign.

Answering some of those doubts was the point of my initial post. At the very least if you're going to join a thread read the post that opened it so you know where the conversation started even if you know nothing else. So yeah, when I hit the eighth or ninth post where someone clearly hasn't read what I wrote or much else in the thread and is offering shopworn "new ideas" that don't survive the "Wait, if that were true, they wouldn't be screwing around with this, would they?" test - well, at the end of a long day I do sometimes carry on cranky. Can you blame me?

Well, to answer these question again: "No, not maybe" "No, we don't think that's possible" "Yes, we are sure" The folks running this campaign are not idiots, they are not sloppy and they all have better things to do with their time that spend hours on the 'net each day trying to get the word out and do some good here. Forget who the individuals are, just ask yourself: How likely is it that fairly bright and articulate group of people who have demonstrated in the past that they have both an understanding of and some contacts within the entertainment industry would go public with an effort like this without being damned sure that they knew what they were talking about. How likely is it that the questions and doubts that crossed each of your minds when you first heard about this didn't cross their minds as well - and that they didn't answer those questions and settle those doubts before they publicly declared them to be true and confirmed in venues that collectively may be seen by millions of people all over the world?

With all due respect to the doubters, we're not that stupid. And sometimes I resent it when people suggest that we are. (Which is exactly what a post that implies we might have missed something as obvious as only Galen being recast or didn't check our facts before asking others to act does imply, whether the writer of the post intended that or not.)

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back