• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

just typical .....

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

the movie aired ....
the reactions have been said ..
the film has been conjitated and digested and then brought back up ...

i dont believe there will be a series
frown.gif
i think it is for many reasons ...
1.there is too much competition with st:enterprise
2.the ratings werent a good sign (although sci fi had the stupidity to show against some sort of rugby match ) (and its not football its rugby in football you cant handle the ball)
3.i dont believe there was enough publicity for the movie a classic case of no wanting to get off their

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> fat arses and do something! </font></td></tr></table>

with the exception of b5lr.com
4.you have to admit the movie had a lot of corny lines like "wlfto/wdfto"
in valens name !!!
5. either jms is a very very clever writer or hes just stupid (the hand sound like the shadows ? even where they live ? also sounds like 3rdspace ?)

you probably are gonna kill me for saying some of the things i have said but they are in my honest opinion and that is a fundemental RIGHT in democracy is it not ??
i personally would like to see a rangers series but alas i dont believe it will happen .....
regards simon

------------------
"Nothing's the same anymore."
Sinclair, Chrysalis

------------------------visit my website - http://www.babylonfive.co.uk

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>1.there is too much competition with st:enterprise<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? They wouldn't be on at the same time nor on the same network. Any "competition" is non-existant, and only in the minds of hardcore Trek and B5 fanboys.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 2.the ratings werent a good sign (although sci fi had the stupidity to show against some sort of rugby match ) (and its not football its rugby in football you cant handle the ball)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ratings is the only real consideration anymore. Yes, they were less than expected. They should take into consideration the football game. Other than that, all we can do is wait and see.

And don't start another slam against a sport you know nothing about. If you can't tell the difference between rugby and football, I suggest playing both. You'll learn the difference very quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 3.i dont believe there was enough publicity for the movie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you living in a cave? They did everything they could, appropriate in scale for the product, to publicise it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>4.you have to admit the movie had a lot of corny lines like "wlfto/wdfto"
in valens name !!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It still had a lot less than almost any other TV show.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>5. either jms is a very very clever writer or hes just stupid (the hand sound like the shadows ? even where they live ? also sounds like 3rdspace ?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Hello, I'm an old tired argument that has been repeatedly proven wrong. Please let me die. Why, oh God, why won't you let me die?"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> they are in my honest opinion and that is a fundemental RIGHT in democracy is it not ??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that means we should just accept it? Sorry, it don't work that way. You'd better believe that people are going to criticise what you say and point out your mistakes.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 1.there is too much competition with st:enterprise <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I basically agree with everything you said, except for the above statement. There's got to be dozens upon dozens of shows in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, yet everybody keeps thinking that Enterprise and Rangers will be locked-up in this mortal combat of death. Rangers biggest competition (if it becomes a series) will be everything else on tv at the exact same time it airs. I don't think Sci-fi is dumb enough to air Rangers opposite Enterprise, but these are the same geniuses that aired the telemovie opposite one of the greatest NFL playoff games of all time. I'd still like to see a series, but I don't think it's in the future either.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Hello, I'm an old tired argument that has been repeatedly proven wrong. Please let me die. Why, oh God, why won't you let me die?"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Proven wrong by who ... you? Seeing as how a majority of the people here believe that the weapons scenes were a hit, I call everybody's opinion into question, including my own.

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited February 08, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And don't start another slam against a sport you know nothing about. If you can't tell the difference between rugby and football, I suggest playing both. You'll learn the difference very quickly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

first of all m8
smile.gif
football is what u call soccer we (british) invented the word for gods sake !!!!! in football u dont handle the ball and american "football" is more similar to rugby than it is to football i was using a bit of sarcasm .

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Were you living in a cave? They did everything they could, appropriate in scale for the product, to publicise it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i live in the uk i didnt even hear nothing about it all i heard was some news about ppl painting their cars and a few pathetic banner ads no ads or anything else

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Hello, I'm an old tired argument that has been repeatedly proven wrong. Please let me die. Why, oh God, why won't you let me die?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i love babylon 5 and i love jms`s writing skills all that i am saying it does sound a bit like that hes trying to recapture former glory or something (not that he got any glory)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> So that means we should just accept it? Sorry, it don't work that way. You'd better believe that people are going to criticise what you say and point out your mistakes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i think u r putting words into my mouth m8 all i said is that ppl often asume things and u should still respect my opinion but u dont u just try to beat it into submission

------------------
Sinclair, Chrysalis

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>i live in the uk i didnt even hear nothing about it all i heard was some news about ppl painting their cars and a few pathetic banner ads no ads or anything else
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, no wonder. All the marketing was done in the US, because it was broadcast in the US.

See, this is what I'm talking about: in this case, your "opinion" is ill-informed, or ignoring a basic fact: you market to the people that can actually see the product. That's why Toyota doesn't make commercials geared toward children.

Notice I didn't say whether Rangers will actually become a series... because it's absurd to say whether it will or not. We just don't know.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Healy:
the movie aired ....
the reactions have been said ..
the film has been conjitated and digested and then brought back up ...

i dont believe there will be a series
frown.gif
i think it is for many reasons ...
1.there is too much competition with st:enterprise
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. Enterprise is no "competition" for a B5:LotR series, unless it's aired opposite Enterprise. The only other way that Enterprise could be competition, is in the general saturation of the sci-fi market, and I don't even think that point's especially valid.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Healy:
2.the ratings werent a good sign (although sci fi had the stupidity to show against some sort of rugby match )...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, they didn't know that football game would be aired across from TLaDiS.

3.i dont believe there was enough publicity for the movie a classic case of no wanting to get off their

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> fat arses and do something! </font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm probably with Joe DeMartino here when I say thay I thought Sci-Fi did a great job publicizing TLaDiS. What killed it was the NFL Playoff Game.

with the exception of b5lr.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B5lr.com is not a part of Sci-Fi (the channel/the company)

4.you have to admit the movie had a lot of corny lines like "wlfto/wdfto"
in valens name !!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That didn't bug me so much as the "And another wise man said, "It ain't over 'till it's over." line.

5. either jms is a very very clever writer or hes just stupid (the hand sound like the shadows ? even where they live ? also sounds like 3rdspace ?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we don't know enough about The Hand to form an opinion on them. I admit that the whole idea struck me as bad too, but we don't know where he's going with this. Hopefully it will be good, and something that appeals to new viewers (those without Shadow background). I think it was shaky to partly base the chances of all future B5 stuff on this idea (The Hand). It would probably have been better to base it on a sure thing (something from B5, e.g. the Drakh and the spread of Shadowtech, or other Shadow Allies and the spread of heretofore unknown Shadowtech).

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 08, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 1.there is too much competition with st:enterprise
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
Rangers biggest competition (if it becomes a series) will be everything else on tv at the exact same time it airs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
I don't think Sci-fi is dumb enough to air Rangers opposite Enterprise, ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go, tempting Fate again. Stop that! No good can come from it. If you're going to tempt Fate, at least use some reverse psychology on it!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Hello, I'm an old tired argument that has been repeatedly proven wrong. Please let me die. Why, oh God, why won't you let me die?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Proven wrong by who ... you? Seeing as how a majority of the people here believe that the weapons scenes were a hit, I call everybody's opinion into question, including my own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do??? I've seen mostly gripes about it, well maybe not so much about the VR scenes themselves, but rather the method of firing the weapons, and the wire work.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 08, 2002).]

i fully realise that it was a us production and a us marketing technique but the point i am trying to put over is that you would be more experienced because sci fi wouldnt market it over here for us uk viewers .and for you to imply that i would suggest that is ludicrous !!!

what do u think i am ficle ??

you also have tried to twist every word that i have said ... clearly thats what happens when you back someone in a corner they come out attacking ....

------------------
Sinclair, Chrysalis

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Simon Healy:
what do u think i am ficle ??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Someone without a spellchecker, certainly <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>you also have tried to twist every word that i have said<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not really.
You claimed that there wasn't enough publicity.
When someone disagreed with you, you said that live in the UK and hadn't heard much about it.
Then it was pointed out that we couldn't actually watch the show in the UK.
You spoke of fans in Europe, entirely missing the fact that these people can't actually watch the US Sci-fi channel.

We are not twisting your words, just getting bored with you not standing by your 'honest opinions' when someone disagrees with you.

Next!

------------------
"You know I? I rather like this GOD fellow. He's very theatrical you know, a pestilence here, a plague there... Omnipotence, Got to get me some of that, Hmmm?" - Stewie (Family Guy)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> See, this is what I'm talking about: in this case, your "opinion" is ill-informed, or ignoring a basic fact: you market to the people that can actually see the product. That's why Toyota doesn't make commercials geared toward children. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think all our opinions is kinda ill informed , we base our opinions on our experiences and what we know wich also includes biases i try not to be biased towards babylon 5 but it allways comes out .
you i am presuming live in the u.s. (there i go presuming things again lol) you`re opinion will be more experienced than mine as you live in the country/region . and it would go vica versa lets say that dr.who started again i would know more than you would because i live closer than you from where it is being premiered .And why was the marketing done solely for the us ???
it is a fact that there are more fans for babylon 5 in europe than there is in the us ...Hell , we even have a video collection on sale at stores nationwide. I think sci fi can be blamed for their lack of marketing skills .

------------------
Sinclair, Chrysalis

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> They do??? I've seen mostly gripes about it, well maybe not so much about the VR scenes themselves, but rather the method of firing the weapons, and the wire work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just going by the poll. Apparently, those who think it's a hit just narrowly beat out those who think it's a miss.

Simon, I'm going to try explaining this one more time. If you don't get it, there's nothing I can do. I recommend searching some of the threads to find Joe DeMartino's explanation of this, but here I go:

Babylon 5, The Legend of the Rangers: To Live And Die In Starlight is an American production. Plain and simple. It was bought by the Sci-Fi Channel, and American television station. It was broadcast on an American network.

It was marketed in the US, because it was broadcast in the US.
It was not marketed in Europe, because it was not broascast there.

I really don't know how to make this any simpler.

------------------

And why was the marketing done solely for the us ???
I think sci fi can be blamed for their lack of marketing skills .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, you mean besides the simple fact that the SciFi network's entire market is the US?

Why would any network ever spend money to advertise any show in areas that are completely outside their broadcast reach. It would be an expenditure with absolutely zero chance of producing any benfit for them. That is why you never see any of the US networks advertising any of their shows in the UK.

If and when a UK broadcaster picks up B5:LotR to show in the UK, then you can expect to see it advertised in the UK. Even then, those ads will not be taken out by the US SciFi Network.

------------------

I was just going by the poll. Apparently, those who think it's a hit just narrowly beat out those who think it's a miss.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops! When I entered my vote in the poll, I never saw the results, and so I thought something was broken, and that the poll wasn't really working. BTW, I entered it as a Miss.

That said, I would have preferred it to be asked as follows:

The weapons scenes: were they...
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Hit
<LI>Miss
<LI>Neither - had 50/50 mix of Good and Bad Points
[/list]

Then, I'd have picked Neither. As it was, I think the weapons firing conniption fit put it in the Miss category.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

I think sci fi can be blamed for their lack of marketing skills .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh ? Are you joking ? What's the point to advertise in UK a show ONLY AIRING IN U.S. ???

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>3.i dont believe there was enough publicity for the movie a classic case of no wanting to get off their fat arses and do something<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what you said. There wasn't enough publicity, and the people at The Sci-Fi Channel, U.S., are lazy - all because you didn't see enough advertising. (In a country where the Sci-Fi Channel (U.S.) is not carried, and the movie has not aired.) Please tell me how anyone "twisted [your] words."

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Even I, who live in Canada, was aware of the tremendous job of advertising done by the SciFi network.

I have not yet seen TLaDiS so I can't comment on whether it was good or bad. However, the only thing that matters to the SciFi network is whether it will pay its way. Can they sell enough advertising to cover the costs? The series rests upon that one question and I have no idea of the answer.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

So, you didn't see the promos because you're in the UK, and the promotion was done in the US.

And you didn't see the movie because you're in the UK and the Sci Fi Channel is strictly North American, and primarily US based. (I think close to the Candian border there is some bleed through, is there not?)

Forget twisting your words, I can't figure out what you're basing them on.

Entitled to an opinion, yes, even an uniformed one if you insist on one. However, to expect it not to be contradicted is just peevish blindness.

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Hello, I'm am in the UK too. Can I say something ??

Thanks.
laugh.gif

I have to say that from what I saw SFC were certainly pulling out as many stops as they could in promoting the TVM. I even downloaded and installed Quicktime purely so that my wife and I could watch the trailers posted at SFC's website ... well those and Lord of the Rings!.

I also saw the TV trailer posted here some time ago, read various discussions of the movie theatre trailers, experienced some of those "odd" banner ads, and saw pictures of the "wrapped" cars - all without looking for it.

Certainly doesn't strike me as a "lazy" way to go about promoting a product.

Let's give a little credit where it is due shall we, rather than making ill-informed, knee-jerk comments that will only hack off the people who will ultimately decide on the fate of LotR.

------------------
DaveC
"Somebody gulped. You were supposed to sip not gulp!"

hello, i'm from the uk aswell (damn but we're just everywhere...)

...and i thought there was plenty of promo material going on... granted it was via the net - but then it was via the net that i managed to get hold of a copy of Rangers so i guess that worked...
tongue.gif

hell, there seems to be have been more promo work for B5: Legend of the Rangers than there ever was for either B5 or Crusade...

and as it was patently not aimed at me (wrong side of the atlantic and all that) i thought it did rather well...

cheers!

------------------

Back