• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Am I the first?

Elenopa

Regular
Call me sad if you like, but I've been planning how to make one of the new Ranger uniforms since the first pictures came out. I wore it for the first time last weekend.
http://www.geocities.com/elenopa/Liandra3.jpg

I was the lone Ranger at a Doctor Who convention. A number of people recognised either the pin or the whole outfit, so I was pleased.

So, am I the first to run up a replica uniform, and what do you think?

Prophet: editted because the picture is hosted at Geocities and doesnt allow linking, but shows as a box with a red X in it. Please copy the link and paste it into the address bar in your browser to view the picture.

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

[This message has been edited by Prophet (edited February 27, 2002).]

Ok, my attempt to post an image failed. Try typing in the URL. that should work.

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

[This message has been edited by Elenopa (edited February 27, 2002).]

Awesome! Nice job on the outfit. Did you make the pin yourself? I think I heard at one point someplace was selling 'em, that's why I ask. If you did make it, I'd be interested in seeing a close-up of it. As for the rest of the uniform -- did you buy or make the vest? I assume the shirt and pants are just your every day turtleneck and, well, pants. ^_^

You see, I'm so interested in how you did it because I'm tempted to make one myself for Dragon*Con this fall.
laugh.gif

------------------
"There is always hope. Only because it's the only thing no one has figured out how to kill yet."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elenopa:
Call me sad if you like, but I've been planning how to make one of the new Ranger uniforms since the first pictures came out. I wore it for the first time last weekend.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice!
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I gets the 'Recoil stamp of approval.' Truly a worthy honor.
tongue.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Thanks for the compliments.

The pin I got from the fan club, so it's the real deal. There are people selling copies but I don't know how good they are.

The top I made myself because the neckline is unusual, but you could probably get away with an ordinary top.

The waistcoat (vest) I did make. I have a number of patterns and one of them happened to be the same as the uniforms, including the slanting pockets. I made it up in the padded material that is used for sleeping bags and quilts. I had to sew all the squares smaller first. Adding the leather trim was a little tricky, but came out nicely.

If you want to make one, look for a pattern with the shaping in curved seams. You may be able to find one with the pockets. They are quite simple really. I used the pattern for the front facings for the trim on the front. The armhole trim I worked out from the pattern pieces.

It's a little difficult to explain here. Do you have much dressmaking experiance? If you do try, good luck.

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

[This message has been edited by Elenopa (edited February 27, 2002).]

It looks terrific; great job!

Those Ranger pins from the old Fan Club are great. They have a heavy, substantial feel to them.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

I think I must have used a very similar pattern for my Aeryn vest (gaah! that was hard! never again! I spent hours and hours and hours upon hours doing alterations and re-fitting!)
smile.gif

Looks awesome!
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

[This message has been edited by channe (edited February 27, 2002).]

Pretty cool Elenopa!
cool.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

More nice comments. Thanks everyone
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

From the lack of other people coming up with pictures, I seem to be the first person to have made a uniform. Cool.
cool.gif

That is unless you know otherwise.

Going slightly off topic, I have a friend that told me JK Rowling was going to be writing a book about the ancestors of Hemione. It was going to be called "Legend of the Graingers".

It took me a few seconds to realise what he had done, and I'm still waiting to get him back.
mad.gif

Any suggestions?

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

Back