• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Looking for a quote.

Elenopa

Regular
This is primarily for the cast, but everyone is welcome to join in.

For about the last five years, I have written a monthly piece in my church magazine about B5. Usually I pick a quote or incident from the show and write about how it has helped me gain a new perspective on life, or religion. I have also branched out occasionally to write about conventions and message boards.

Well, I was wondering if JMS was continuing the trend in Rangers, and what quotes the cast have found particulaly insightful. Were there any that made you go, 'Oh wow, that is soooo true!'?

I am assuming that you guys aren't going to mind me quoting you in my article. I am not getting paid for this, and who knows, I might get you some new fans.

To everyone else; what are your most meaningful quotes? Perhaps, you've found something I've missed.

Thanks to everyone,

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

I doubt that it happened in the pilot. it's more likely to happen in the possible series.

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

I've written about how, in 'The Gathering', Delenn is studying the Japanese stone garden and talks about how one mind can influence the universe.

Or something like that.

It can happen in pilots.
tongue.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

There are a lot of good ones in B5, but seeing as though most of us haven't seen Rangers yet, I can't offer any from there, sorry.

May Valen be with you.

There's a Sheridan quote. Goes something like this: "If you wait for the Universe to make sense, you're going to be waiting a long time."

That, for me, always resonated with a passage that to this day haunts me: "My ways are not your ways and My thoughts are not your thoughts."

I think that goes quite well with today's Christian tendency to assign the credit for being directly involved with the wonderful things in one's life directly to being God's responsibility; to do so takes away the human free will He gave us.

We can't wait for the Universe to make sense. We have to do the best we can.

IMHO, of course.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

Well, here's one you could us as a "Bridge" between the series:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "I am a Ranger.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."

Marcus to Neroon in Babylon 5:"Grey 17 is Missing" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It also resonates with:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, .. not for glory, not for fame. For one person, .. in the dark .. where no one will ever know .. or see."

Sebastian to Delenn & Sheridan in Babylon 5:"Comes the Inquisitor" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>There's a Sheridan quote. Goes something like this: "If you wait for the Universe to make sense, you're going to be waiting a long time."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was G'kar and I think its more along the lines of "If you're going to wait everytime the universe doesn't make sense, then you're going to be waiting a very long time". Said to Marcus when he didn't understand why the colony security weren't giving up their search for G'Kar.

I don't have a fav. quote, but the Vorlon saying of "Truth is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth" has always held true (excuse the pun) to me.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Actually, you're both right, Channe and Dark Lord.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>"If you are going to be worried every time the universe doesn't make sense, you are going to be worried every moment of every day for the rest of your natural life."
- G'Kar to Marcus in Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>"If you're gonna wait for the universe to start making sense, you have a long wait ahead of you."
- Sheridan to Zack in Conflicts of Interest
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
Actually, you're both right, Channe and Dark Lord.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, JMS did re-use quite a lot of lines... such as "This situation is a powder-keg waiting to blow", the famed tennyson quote (?) and "No matter the cost".
smile.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

Thanks everyone
laugh.gif

The Ranger oath and the three edged sword, I have already used in articles, but not the one about the Universe not making sense.

I love your thoughts Channe. If you don't mind, I'll quote you in the next couple of months.

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:
Heh, JMS did re-use quite a lot of lines... such as "This situation is a powder-keg waiting to blow", the famed tennyson quote (?) and "No matter the cost".
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another quote that was use allot in B5 was "the baloon goes up" somthing like that.

Can't wait for more ranger quote they are always pretty catchy.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Quote? Me? Yeah, go ahead. But why?

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elenopa:
I've written about how, in 'The Gathering', Delenn is studying the Japanese stone garden and talks about how one mind can influence the universe.

Or something like that.

It can happen in pilots.
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

blush.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:
I don't have a fav. quote, but the Vorlon saying of "Truth is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth" has always held true (excuse the pun) to me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except of course in 'certain' things where its just your side and the truth DL...but your unwilling to admit your wrong
tongue.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris O'Farrel:
Except of course in 'certain' things where its just your side and the truth DL...but your unwilling to admit your wrong
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crazy.gif
Erm... chris, thats the whole point of the quote. It shows how your side and theirs are both wrong. I guess that was a bit too complicated and subtle for you to work out from "understanding is a three edged sword, your side, their side and the truth". I admit when I am wrong and have done so numerous times in the past, you must have not seen that though... curious.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

In the search for quotes, there ARE a couple websites:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Quotes/B5-quotes.html

http://scv.bu.edu/~aarondf/b5quotes.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of "Spiritus Mundi"
Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indigent desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

G'Kar to Na'Toth, Revelations
Quoted sections are shown in italics. The poem is The Second Coming by William Butler Yeats.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath, waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments .. of revelation.
This had the feeling of both."

"G'Quon wrote: There is a greater darkness than the one we fight.
It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.
The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair.
Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope.
The death of dreams.
Against this peril we can never surrender.
The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation.
No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us.
We know only that it is always paved in pain."

G'Kar, Season 3 ending of Z'ha'dum
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited November 03, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited November 03, 2001).]

crazy.gif
Erm... chris, thats the whole point of the quote. It shows how your side and theirs are both wrong. I guess that was a bit too complicated and subtle for you to work out from "understanding is a three edged sword, your side, their side and the truth". I admit when I am wrong and have done so numerous times in the past, you must have not seen that though... curious.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um DL I was making a joke about it....
*swosh*

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris O'Farrel:
Um DL I was making a joke about it....
*swosh*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, but it wasn't funny.
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

Yeats, Byron, Coleridge, Shelley -

If you speak English, you should read them before you die. They were the reason that today I'm a writer and not an engineer.

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back