• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Two Towers continuity errors - spoilers

Elenopa

Regular
Right, this post is not about where the film diverged from the book. I personally think it stuck pretty close.

This thread is about onscreen continuity blips. I have seen TT three times now and so have the time to look at details. Here are the errors I have spotted.

1. When the Uruk-hi are attacked by the Rohirrim, Pippin is nearly trampled by a horse. You can clearly see that his hands are free, but the hobbits are shown cutting their bonds later.

2. Eowyn's hairstyle changes slightly between approaching Helm's Deep and entering the gate. (OK, I'm nit-picking with this one)

3. When Sam is trying to persuade Frodo to use the ring to escape from Faramir, they are sitting among some barrels. Faramir approaches and in the next shot they are back at the spot where they slept. No barrels in sight. Instant teleportation?

4. Aragorn during the battle for Helm's Deep is not wearing his Elven cloak, but when he is welcomed back by Eowyn at the end, the leaf clasp is clearly visible on his left shoulder. This is obviously a shot from after his near death experience earlier in the film, and may have been an alternative that didn't get used.

That's all for now. Don't think that this post means I didn't like the film. I loved it, I've just got a knack for spotting continuity mistakes.

I think I spotted Peter Jackson throwing a spear in the battle. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone know for sure how they wear rucksacks over cloaks? I think that the shoulder straps must fasten behind the back.

Wow. You have an eye for detail, don't you Elenopa? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I wish my algebra students paid that much attention to their factoring lessons. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. The wound on Merry's head switches sides briefly. Before Fangorn it's on his right temple. When he first enters Fangorn it moves to the left, then later it moves back to the right. Methinks someone reversed the negative /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HEY! Math is cool

True. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Besides, programming requires logic and mathematics. Where would TTT be without all of those great special effects? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think I spotted Peter Jackson throwing a spear in the battle. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, and he appeared in FOTR, too. He was seen briefly in Bree, when the hobbits were making their way up to the Prancing Pony /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I knew he was in Bree. I just didn't know if he had sneaked into the other two parts.

Next time I go to see it, I shall keep an eye open for Merry's moving gash.

I believe PJ can be seen dropping rocks on uruk-hai from above the gate at helms deep. When the wood covering the windows is pushed open he is supposed to be there iirc.

Well, so far, a website caught 107 mistakes in TTT.

As for Pippin's hands being freed, I have an explanation for this. The director used a flashback so we see how they escaped without their bonds and then continue on to Fangorn Forest. (You may disagree with me, because I've only seen the movie once. I plan on going again this weekend with a bunch of my friends.)

107 mistakes /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Where is this website?

I've just been watching FOTR again and remembered a continuity error that I had spotted in that. When Gandalf is talking to Saruman in Orthanc, in one shot you can see his hand holding his staff and there is a loop of leather ove one finger. Next shot, it is gone.

Also, something that has been bugging me. Saruman takes Gandalf's staff away from him, yet when he is in Rivendell, he has a staff again. No mention of the staff is made in the book, so is it supposed to be the same one retrieved from Saruman, or a new one?

is it supposed to be the same one retrieved from Saruman, or a new one?

I'd always assumed it was a new one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In TTT there's a similar puzzle with the cloak Gandalf wears when he leaves Fangorn and calls Shadowfax. It's clearly an Elven cloak, and it has the same leaf clasp as the cloaks worn by the others, given to them by Galadriel in Lothlorien. So where did Gandalf get his?

If my memory if correct, the explanation is given in the book, where Gandalf is carried to Lothlorien after defeating the Balrog. That would explain where he gets his cloak, and also his nice new white staff, which looks very Elven, too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think in the book he is found pretty comatose and in the nuddy by Gwahir, who bears him to Galdriel. I thought the clasp in the film was silver and slightly bigger. I have to say, i like the way they covered Aragorn's riddle solving over the missing hobbits. I thought the Ents should have been bigger too. I am assuming the two kids fleeing the cranage in Rohan, with the same surname as Jackson who are credited as "cute kids" are relatives of his. I have heard he made two appearences in cameos himself this time, so both your assumptions above could be correct. does this mean he'll do three in RotK?

I think he's become obsessed with auteur theory!!!!!!!!!!

Back