• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Serenity - SPOILERS! Consider yourself warned!

I'm going to see it for a...4th time this week.

So far I've seen it once in the Film Festival in August, once on Thursday (my Birthday) with wife, and then again on Friday with a mate who'd loved Firefly.

Going back later on this week with another mate who's never seen Firefly, plus one or two other friends who've already seen, and loved Serenity. :)

I'm doing my bit!

VB
Hehe another Edinburgh resident doing his duty. I will be going for number 3 tommorow.

Competition is light indeed.

And I saw Wallace and Gromit on Saturday, worth it for all of the movie references ... very recommended. Terribly sad to hear about Ardman warehouses burinding down though.

Yeah, I guess the stuff he used to make Creature Comforts, still my favorite of his work, is all gone. I'll probably wait to see Grimace and Wallet until it comes on cable.

I finally saw it for a second time tonight, with my brother and his wife, both who had borrowed my DVDs a few weeks ago and just started watching the show and loved it. They both were really looking forward to it.

My brother I know liked it. My sister in law had almost the same reaction LondosHair had and that I felt as well when walking out, except more to the extreme. She was REALLY mad that Wash was killed and she said it ruined the movie for her. My brother thought it was a balsy move to kill off a character like that and I think he respected the move and we both agreed it made the last 15 minutes suspenseful. I told both of them (and he read this online as well) that if the movie did well there would be sequals. He literially told me after the movie that he thought it was all BS because he really felt like they were all going to die at the end. Its amazing that a movie can give someone that feeling and I experienced it as well.

I think my sis-in-law will come to really like the movie after she gets over the initial shock (a lot of fans reacted this way) and I admit it took me a bit before I got over the shock as well. I must say I enjoyed it more the second time. Obviously the shock value wasn't there as much but it still was one hell of a ride.

I might try to get a couple more friends to try out this movie who haven't seen the DVDs. Funny thing is that I am not seeing it more than once or trying to get friends to watch it so help "support it" or as some sort of campaign to help get sequals. I'll be OK if this is the only one. I really just want as many people to experience it. EVERYONE I have introduced to this show and this movie has loved it and I think it is one of the best films Ive seen in a long time.

I went to see it again last night and enjoyed it even more the second time. I realised that every one of River's apparently random comments has meaning.

When she looks down at the dead Reaver in the cargo bay after they're narrow escape after the heist she says "They didn't lie down" Only after seeing what happened on Miranda does that make sense.

There are comments like that throughout the movie, which have so much more meaning when you know what River knows.

I also realised this time that Mal's question to Zoe right at the end isn't about the ship, but about her. When she answers something like "Badly shook up but flying true" she's talking about herself after losing Wash. Very moving.

I have to admit I couldn't watch Wash die again. I had to close my eyes at that point :(

The entire crash sequence is very gripping for me, but only because Wash is going to die at the end of it.

A ton of fans have been outraged over Wash's death. I thought it was yet another example of Joss Whedon's twisted brilliance.

I took notice of River's "they didn't lie down" comment too the second time I saw the film and was very pleased with that new layer that's revealed when one knows about what they all find on Miranda.

And yes indeed, Mal and Zoe's exchange at the end is very moving and poinient.

The second time I saw the film, for like the minute or two leading up to Wash's death, though I knew it was coming, my heart was thumping like crazy in anticipation of it happening.

I'm eager for it to come out on DVD so I can watch it absolutely anytime I want. :)

One thing I noticed in watching it the second time. When Simon is shot and he's apologizing to River, she tells him "you always look after me, you always take care of me, Simon."

Then she stands up and says "my turn."

First viewing, I thought: "yeah, it's her turn to kick ass."
Second viewing, I thought: "yeah... it's her turn to take care of HIM now."

:)

Very pleasant the second time around, with the exception of Wash and Book. Still hard to watch.

Another thing that just hit me (as oblivious as I am,) is that in the pilot episode, during the battle of Serenity Valley, we see Zoe and Mal and he's kissing his cross. Seems to have a lot of faith. He even calls his hoped-for airborne back-up "angels."

Later, when they find the firefly and get a crew going... Mal has lost that faith and even seems uncomfortable with Shepard Book on board.

Love watching the series again... to see all the little things. :) Purely enjoyable.

I had exactly the same thought :D

Not sure why it took 2 viewings to catch that one, but the sense of her comment somehow changed second time around.

Hey here is something that I didn't quite understand from the end of the movie.

When the crew is around the graves of Book, Wash, and Mr Universe, River walked up to a model rocket and tapes something to it. What the hell was the significance of that, as well as what was the point of the little model rocket?

I remember Mal saying something jokingly to Inara when he was in costume about Buddah bringing him a plastic rocket.

I just didn't get the reference and wonder if it was some sort of inside Joss Whedon joke, or perhaps something I missed, or just unexplained.

I had exactly the same thought :D

Not sure why it took 2 viewings to catch that one, but the sense of her comment somehow changed second time around.
Funny. I've only seen the movie once (so far).

My immediate interpretation of that line was "You've always taken care of me. Now it's my turn to take care of you. I'll get you the medic bag that you need to survive that."

When the crew is around the graves of Book, Wash, and Mr Universe, River walked up to a model rocket and tapes something to it. What the hell was the significance of that, as well as what was the point of the little model rocket?

I remember Mal saying something jokingly to Inara when he was in costume about Buddah bringing him a plastic rocket.

I just didn't get the reference and wonder if it was some sort of inside Joss Whedon joke, or perhaps something I missed, or just unexplained.

I thought it was a firework, rather than just a model rocket, and that maybe it was some kind of Chinese custom?

VB

I've been told by someone who has read the script that there are letters attached to the rocket, from each of the survivors to each of those who died.

Wow, I didn't realize people wouldn't get what the rocket was. It was rather obvious to me that the little pieces of paper are good wishes or prayers for the dead, if you will (not in the Christian sense of "Dear God..." prayers). But then, I'm kinda floofy and extra-sentimental, so maybe that led to me getting it right away. They'd attach them to the rocket and send the rocket blasting off to deliver one's prayers to those who could "hear" them. It's just sort of a little memorial sort of thing. I think sometimes similar prayers are sent up via small helium balloons.

Reportedly in one of the earlier versions of the film the rocket was shot off at the end of the ceremony.

My first reaction to that was, "Oh, crap, they gave Serenty a grave marker too... I guess she's not coming back..." but then they showed them rebuilding the ship, so that thought was junked.

Saw it for a 3rd time last night - someone I know wanted to watch it and I was happy to try and make another wannabe-Browncoat.

I didn't enjoy it the 2nd time as much as the first. But the 3rd time I enjoyed it just as much - it really is a fantastic movie.

I just saw the movie. I was taking a whiz afterward when a total stranger asked me, "Did you see Serenity? Was that a comic book?" I briefly answered his questions -- I myself was still stunned over what I had seen. I am impressed at the impact it had on a complete stranger to the Fireflyverse.

A question I've got. Did River implant the idea in Jayne's mind to give her a nice shuttle ride? It certainly suited her purposes.

Simon's rescue of River wasn't quite credible to me at first, but on reflection, I realized that it required arrogance and a cool head, qualities Simon has in spades.

As far as the deaths. I knew they would come, but I didn't know how. Book died a romantic death. He lived, quite improbably, long enough to give his last words to Mal. I think it's pretty clear that his story, and the Operative's, were similar enough that both didn't need to be told.

Wash's death, on the other hand, was ugly, senseless and shocking. It still worked. There are two genres where that is appropriate -- war stories and horror stories. That's where Whedon took us. The Reavers -- cannibal zombies -- are a staple of horror fiction. Zoe almost collapses into hysteria, but Mal barks orders at her to pull herself together. They are soldiers who have to put their feelings aside in order to have any hope of survival.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back