• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Serenity - SPOILERS! Consider yourself warned!

Considering Whedon was willing to axe his title character not once but twice on Buffy, I was pretty sure somebody was doomed.
Although I've never watched Buffy, isn't that kind of a misnomer? I mean OK so he had Buffy die, but didn't she keep coming back to life in the next season?

One thing about this movie, there were lots of little suttle things like you mentioned. I haven't seen it a second time yet, but will when my brother and his wife are free to see it, probably next week. A couple nice lines that I really liked, thinking back about the movie, were as I said above River telling Simon "my turn" before she ran to go kick some ass. I also really liked Jayne saying "Shepard Book once said, If you can't do the smart thing, do the right thing." I really liked that Jayne was the one who delivered that line about Book. Just was a touching moment and it shows that Jayne had a nice connection with the Shepard.

Saw it on Thursday with a whole group of Sci-fi fans. I dressed in an instant Kaylee costume. (Green jeans and T shirt, Chinese top, hair in two buns, paper parasol)

What a film. I lost count of the times that the whole cinema burst out laughing. Very sad to loose Book, but that was acceptable. Very unexpected to loose Wash. I remember sitting in the cinema and saying to the guy next to me, "Did they just kill Wash?"

As others have said, after that I was afraid that everyone was going to die.

What really tore me up though was when Mal went on to the bridge at the end and Wash's dinosaurs were still there.

Simon and Kaylee got together at last! :D
Simon with no shirt on. :D :p

Told my brother, he has to go see it, even if he is on his honeymoon.

What really tore me up though was when Mal went on to the bridge at the end and Wash's dinosaurs were still there.

I remember seeing those dinosaurs as well at the end and thought it was very moving. :(

Saw it Thursday with a friend. Really good stuff. Think he might be interested in the series now a bit.

I liked the very last scene with River and Mal in the cockpit. After all the dren they went through with River, she's still part of the crew.

I actually half expected both Book and Wash to kick during the film. There was some trouble getting those actors to reprise their parts. Still though, it was somewhat of a surprise (not to mention sad) to see them go.

I actually half expected both Book and Wash to kick during the film. There was some trouble getting those actors to reprise their parts.

I didn't hear this. I thought they all were on board pretty quick. Was there a rumor to the contrary?

Scheduling difficulties, no doubt -- certainly no ill will or reluctance on the part of the actors. Ron Glass never seemed quite as enthusiastic as the rest, but he certainly had no objection to getting back on board, and Alan Tudyk loved his part.

Joss has also said that he'll get all nine of the main cast on board for any sequels. But unless the movie improves at the box office I doubt we'll get any. (I've done my part -- gone twice, took five people last night, converted my immediate family. And I will go again sometime in the coming months.)

Recoil wrote:
Although I've never watched Buffy, isn't that kind of a misnomer? I mean OK so he had Buffy die, but didn't she keep coming back to life in the next season?

First time she died it was a very brief thing -- drowing and resuscitation by CPR -- but the second time her death and subsequent magical resurrection had serious consequences for the story. Perhaps more to the point Joss also offed two other characters who were altogether blameless and sweet, both times very abruptly and unexpectedly. His treatment of one of those deaths was amazingly well-done, incredibly powerful and touching. Joss knows his deaths.

Heh, I've done my part too. I'll have seen it twice, and brought at least 6 (perhaps 8) other people who normally wouldn't have seen it to the movie. Its first weekend was extremely low, but then all box offices were really low last weekend. Hopefully it fares better after this last week and this weekend. I guess we will find out on Monday.

I'd like a sequal or two, but if this is the only one, I'd be OK with that. It was quite a show.

2nd time I seen it now! Brought 6 people along, so that makes a total of 10 tickets me/friends have contributed to the cause.
Another packed house in the cinema too, and a very active one with the laughs and all. Good to hear over-enthusiastic Firefly fans in the building again...

A good sign, yes, but we'll need more if we want sequels.

Myself, I'm preparing to resign myself to a good conclusion and say farewell -- but I haven't completely given up hope yet.

Given the sad state of the US Box Office lately (frickin' Wallace and Gromit got 1st place with 16 mil this past weekend!), I think it's a safe bet to say that Serenity will make a MUCH better showing in DVD sales than it did in ticket sales. A sequel might not be out of the picture just yet.

Yea the box office is pretty weak right now. Its a bad time of year for movies. There just arent any big blockbusters out there right now. As you said, the #1 movie was pretty lame, and it didn't even bring in that much.

Well, in all fairness to Wallace and Grommit, I do love them, and I'll certainly see their movie sometime. And I'm aware that the box office has not been doing well, and that the Universal execs pushed Serenity back to late September (a dead period). And it does seem to me that DVD sales have always been where Firefly fans have really done their best work. But it would be reassuring to see box office numbers higher.

Even so, I suppose I should learn the lessons Shepherd Book taught, and believe.

I'm going to see it for a...4th time this week.

So far I've seen it once in the Film Festival in August, once on Thursday (my Birthday) with wife, and then again on Friday with a mate who'd loved Firefly.

Going back later on this week with another mate who's never seen Firefly, plus one or two other friends who've already seen, and loved Serenity. :)

I'm doing my bit!

VB

Serenity is this week's number one movie in Britain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4331654.stm
Sci-fi beats Pride in film chart
Tuesday, 11 October 2005, 16:14 GMT 17:14 UK

Sci-fi film Serenity has ended Pride and Prejudice's four-week reign at the top of the UK film chart.

Serenity, created by Buffy the Vampire Slayer mastermind Joss Whedon, took almost £960,000 in its first weekend.

{snip}
However at less than one million pounds, that is not a lot of money.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back