• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sci-Fi Friday (SG-1, Atl., BG) 03/18/05 (spoilers)

Some lite spoilers ahead concerning the 03/18/2005 episodes of Battlestar Galactic and both Stargates (for Americans anyway; I think Britain's already gotten them)...

:
:

I was just reading the reviews of this past Friday's Stargate: Atlantis and Battlestar Galactic over at www.cinescape.com. They gave BG's "Colonial Day" an A and Atlantis's "The Siege, Part 1" a D-.

Atlantis Review

Galactica Review

Frankly, I thought all three shows were top notch this past week, including Atlantis. I don't understand why the review was so harsh. Granted, there were a couple predictable moments and a smidgen of melodrama, but the storyline is still well laid out, the performances are solid, and there's still plenty of tension.

Galactica does continue to impress me as well. I like the political aspect. I have mixed feelings about the "outdoor" feel of the luxury liner. I know they explain that it's a simulated outdoor environment inside of a ship, but it still looked almost *too* outdoorsy. They obviously filmed it outside, then added some special effects to suggest that it's inside of a big spacebound greenhouse, but the outdoor feel was just too obvious which made the concept harder to swallow. On the other hand, it does seem to be an original idea, and by not blowing the budget on excessive FX or elaborate indoor sets made from scratch, they kept the episode focused on the story.

As far as Stargate SG-1... I liked that episode too. The best part was seeing what Jack, Sam, and Daniel would be like without the Stargate. Granted Jack wasn't that different, but Shanks and Tapping did a superb job "nerding up" their characters. I love that moment that Hammond says they're free to go if they don't sign the non-disclosure, and Carter signs it in a heartbeat without even thinking about it. Man, her alternate life must have been boring. :D

Sci-Fi Channel has finally gotten it right putting these three shows together. SG-1, like many sci-fi shows introduced in the 80's and 90's had a rocky start, but I think it gets better year after year. Hopefully, that won't change next year considering the season 9 cast upheaval.

What impresses me most about Atlantis and Galactica is how good they are right out of the gate. It took ST:TNG and ST:DS9 both 2 years to get good, and arguably, it took B5 one year to find its legs as well. But, Atlantis and Galactica are very strong in their very first season. So strong, it makes me wonder if they'll stay that way. And even if they do, would Sci-Fi pull the plug anyway, ala Farscape? They better not!

A reply to the BG review said it may trump B5 as the best political sci-fi drama. I don't know if it's quite that good. I guess I'm biased. I stand by my B5. ;)

Granted Jack wasn't that different,

Did you notice he'd "gone Canadian" though, eh? ;)

I agree for the most oart with what you've said, although for me BSG took a long time to get going. I hated the miniseries and found the first few eps of the series proper only tolerable.

But it got better as it went on, it improved concurrently with Gaius's inreased insanity. :D I still rate it as only so-so for the most part (although the final cliffhanger is ballsy as hell - I wont detail it for those who haven't seen it yet).

VB

Re: Sci-Fi Friday (SG-1, Atl., BG) 03/18/05 (spoil

As far as Stargate SG-1... I liked that episode too. The best part was seeing what Jack, Sam, and Daniel would be like without the Stargate. Granted Jack wasn't that different, but Shanks and Tapping did a superb job "nerding up" their characters. I love that moment that Hammond says they're free to go if they don't sign the non-disclosure, and Carter signs it in a heartbeat without even thinking about it. Man, her alternate life must have been boring. :D

I saw this one, and it was a neat twist, but I didn't completely buy it. The "alternate life they would have had if there was no Stargate" I think applied just fine for Jack and Daniel. If there was no gate, Daniel would have never been called like he was in the movie. Also, if there was never a gate, Jack would have never been called back into service after the death of his son.

None of that explains why Carter wasn't in the military. She was in the military BEFORE the discovery of the Stargate. Wouldn't she still be in the military, just serving elsewhere on other projects?

All in all though aside from that nitpick it was a decent episode. Im not really an SG1 fan, but I end up watching it because its on before Atlantis and BSG.

I thought Atlantis was cool and its good that they do get around to killing "recognized" background characters once in a while instead of the typical "red shirt" random doctor.

BSG was good. I thought it was pretty freakin cold of the Pres the way she begged her friend for support and to run for VP, then dumped him for Baltar like a girl who got asked by a "more popular guy" to the prom. But thats politics, and his line was great, she can hang with the meanist of them.

I think it was another good performance by Hatch as well. He is a lot better actor in this incarnation of Galactica than in the original, and I like that he has a character that is VERY different from his version of Apollo, but who will probably play a huge part in things to come.

I don't watch SG-1 anymore. One more episode with Jaffar running around in Canadian woods and I've have gone mad.

But Atlantis and BSG -- love them both.

I'm with you..I LOVE these shows and thought last Friday was a blast!

SG-1 will survive the cast changes, this I predict...and will get a needed breath of fresh air from it that will most likely keep the show going for at least three more seasons.

ATLANTIS is getting better and better as we get to know the characters and as they delve more into the Wraith and the arc material.

BSG is just...what can I say...phenomenal! If it keeps up the quality, the tension, the arc and pace, it will, IMO, rival B5.

It is fast becoming my second fav after B5.

As for SF Channel cancelling any of it...don't count on that. All of the shows are breaking their ratings records right and left. The reasons for FARSCAPE's cancellation are many and had nothing to do with the quality of the show. It had to do with ownership verses cost. SF Channel now owns a part of SG-1, ATLANTIS, and all of BSG. They make more money the longer the shows run and stay high in ratings.

And as for the smart move award...that goes to the producers of SG-1 for casting Ben Browder as the new SG-1 member and having Claudia Black in the first few eps of S9, thus securing the Scaper crowd will tune in and hopefully remain.

Also, cudos for casting such a wonderful actor as Beau Bridges as the new general...that was brilliant! And, of course, casting Mitch Pillegi from X-FILES as a recurring character on ATLANTIS! They're going for the other cult show fans in a big way! What smart producers and writers!

I see great things on the horizon for all three shows.

Now...we just have to anticipate the future of Dr. Who.

CE

I thought Atlantis was cool and its good that they do get around to killing "recognized" background characters once in a while instead of the typical "red shirt" random doctor.

Yeah, I was a little shocked by that. They're trying to build up some of the background characters, so it's weird to see one of them go. With the Scottish medical doctor becoming a regular next year, I hope the Czech scientist Dr. Zelenka becomes the new dominant recurring character (and does not die any time soon). I like it when he and Dr. McKay work together. They compliment each other well.

I don't watch SG-1 anymore. One more episode with Jaffar running around in Canadian woods and I've have gone mad.

Yeah, the repetative forests were getting redundant. I think they're getting away from that some. More of the planets they've visited in the past couple seasons have had urban or suburban settings.

Having access to starships and fighting the Goa'uld system lords has also led to more space-based battles. A lot of loose ends were tied up in the last few weeks with "Threads."

I get the feeling the Replicators are mostly, if not completely, wiped out. The Jaffa are mostly, if not completely, united. And the Goa'uld can pretty well occupy themselves for a while. I think with the cast changes, the story might turn inward or maybe go a whole new direction altogether.

As far as Battlestar Galactica, I like the setting and the story arc, but I'm not totally on board with the characters yet. I don't hate any characters, but I don't find myself really relating or rooting to any characters either.

Who doesn't cheer for Sheridan or Delenn? Who doesn't feel for Londo or Lyta? Who doesn't wish the best for Garibaldi or G'Kar. Who doesn't love Ivanova or Vir? I'm not quite there with the BSG crowd yet. With that show, it's the story that's more powerful than the characters moving the story. They could drop a rock on any character at any time, and as long as truly served the story, it wouldn't bother me so bad. Roslin is about the only exception. She seems a little smug, but I feel bad for her position while secretly fighting cancer. I would hate it if she died or was not re-elected.

BSG is good, but in my book, B5 still has it beat.

Who doesn't cheer for Sheridan or Delenn? Who doesn't feel for Londo or Lyta? Who doesn't wish the best for Garibaldi or G'Kar. Who doesn't love Ivanova or Vir? I'm not quite there with the BSG crowd yet.

Yea but think back for a second....were you "on board" with Babylon 5's characters after "Signs and Portents"? (Episode 13)

I wasn't. I was into the STORY after that 13th episode, and thought it had some huge potential, but I wasn't at ALL on board with any of the characters yet (maybe just starting to warm up to Sinclair). I sure as hell didn't think much of Delenn, G'Kar, or the rest. It wasn't until later in the show that we all grew into liking those characters.

I think BSG is tracking just fine as far as that. Expecting to like characters so early into a series, when if we are all honest with each other, we will admit we WERENT like that with B5 either, is pretty unrealistic.

Good point recoil, it probalby took a series for me to like the characters of B5, and the one I liked the most, Sinclair, left the show!

Fromt he outset of BSG, the characters were for me more indenitifiable, due no doubt, to the writers attempt to ground them in reality.

In B5, Ivanova had to explain why she was upset about her father and Psi-corp, Garibaldi about why he no longer drank. In BSG, we see their flaws up front, no explnation given. The characters wither live with them or deny them!

As B5 developed, so did the characters, but initally they took a while to warm up.

I'm not usually a fan of all things Stargate, but Atlantis is turning into a good show. The evil gothic Wraith have pontetial, and the expaned background cast is a great idea. Effects are also top notch.

I'm having trouble remembering... When did the SGC get a time travel ship? Was it recently, in the last season or two, or way back? Any chance anyone knows the exact episode? I knew Atlantis had found a time-travelling puddle jumper, but I didn't know the SGC had too.

They acquired the time-travelin puddle jumper this season, a few episodes back. I believe the episode was "It's Good to be King" which had Maybourne in the episode.

And I have to agree with everyone that this past friday's episodes were really good. I enjoyed Atlantis and BSG a lot more than SG-1 this week and hope that this reflects very well for all the shows.

I firmly believe that the cast changes for SG-1 will launch them into some great new directions and really breathe some great new life into the show.

From my understanding, they're pretty much done with the Go'aould, the Replicators, etc. The new seasons will begin the search for all things Ancient and perhaps will introduce a new bad guy...and hopefully we'll finally meet the Furlings.

They have cast Ben and Beau, two wonderfully talented actors who, I know, will bring some fantastic energy to the show.

I give them some cudos in that they wanted to end the Go'aould and such much sooner but kept getting picked up for more and more seasons. They seem to have decided that they're coming back now, and to go ahead and plan out some new directions for the show.

I'm really looking forward to the 9th season and to the ATLANTIS second season (with Mitch making guest appearances). They are also going to be able to have the shows cross over from time to time now, so that will make things more interesting as well.

CE

Since this seems to be the thread for discussion of the BSG airings in the US, I'll repost something I posted at Trek BBS which those of you watching for the first time may want to read:

I've already seen the final two episodes of BSG Season 1 through alternate means, but I thought I'd offer the following heads up for those of you who haven't seen them yet and wish to remain unspoiled. At the beginning of Ep. 13, there's a pretty significant plot development that, because I had not seen any promos or read any synopses, took me completely by surprise. Much of the rest of the episode deals with that development.

The reason I'm telling you this is because I'm afraid that, in the promo for ep13 that they'll be showing after ep12 this Friday in the U.S., they're going to spoil it. I have no inside info to indicate this, just a hunch that, since this is something that happens at the *beginning* of the episode, and a sizable portion of the rest of the ep is about that, they're going to give it away in the promo. So if you want to stay unspoiled, you might want to consider turning off the TV as soon as you see the promo for next week start, and also avoid reading any of those one or two sentence plot synopses they have in TV Guide or at scifi.com/battlestar.

Thanks for the warning!

I usually love to see what happens...this time i will not.

If it is a significant revelation that is supposed to be a surprise, I seriously doubt they will spoil it in the teaser...if anything they will not spoil it and use the fact that some major turning point is to be revealed as the point to the teaser.

CE

I don't know. They often make odd choices wrt what goes in the preview. I could be wrong.

But while I can't think of an example of SFC doing this, I definitely *have* seen previews for shows on other networks that give me more information than I want. Anyone remember TNT's promo for B5's "Objects at Rest"?

Back