• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Attack of the Killer Fan Films

IMAG009.JPG

We live in crazy times. :beer:

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

Thought the trailer was good, yet, failed as a trailer.

After watching it, I have absolutely NO CLUE what the movie is about. I see all these Trek Characters (Checkov, Uhura, Captain Harriman) and they seem to be in various outfits (maybe mirror universe counterparts) but have no idea whatsoever as to what its about.

So yea, cool effects, F- on the content.

I agree, very little content shown. What plot was shown was basically "legends fighting one another for no readily apparent reason (well, Chekov's family was killed, but that's it). Oh, and I'm not a fan of the backlit letters, but that's just me. I'd rather text in a trailer be understated rather than overstated, but YMMV.

Effects look good, though, and the brief glimpse of the sets look pretty nice.

And, while I'm musing idly about it, I think I would've gone with more of a ramp-up. The music, graphics and everything else are screaming conflict from frame 1. If the concept of these legends fighting one another is supposed to be surprising (I'm guessing?) then it'd work to have either a) a ramp up to the conflict or b) a 180-u-turn where you lead it up making it seem like they're working together (including clips, don't use text exclusively for the first half of the trailer like that), including peaceful/thoughtful/reminiscing music, *then* throw the curveball.

But again, YMMV. This is just me thinking aloud, and as with all art, it's just MHO, so please don't think I'm saying it's all wrong or anything lol :)

--mcn

I'm not sure about the costume changes either, but the majority of the characters seem to be coming in a few years after Harriman's promotion to captain. It is a mirror universe story, and I believe the Chekov whose family was killed was Mirror CHekov. The sets belong to Star Trek New Voyages, through a cooperative agreement. You may not have noticed Garret Wang (Harry Kim) as a villain. Tim Russ (Tuvok) is directing this thing. Still, along with New Voyages two upcoming episodes, it really brings fan films into a quasi-official capacity.

Yeah, I saw Garret Wang in there. Threw me off a bit due to the context, but was interesting nonetheless :) It's certainly nice to see to see the fan films getting more "official" backing, so-to-speak, that's for sure. All the more reason I guess I was being overly critical of the trailer--if it's going to be getting more "official" recognition and all these big names attached to the films, better to make sure it's as good as possible on all the other fronts, as well.

--mcn

I agree... lots of familiar faces, but literally no explanation as to a basic plot... not that I'm disinterested by that, mind you, but it would have helped. :)

I'm assuming this is another mirror-universe crossover. I was always a big fan of those.

I was a fan of the concept, but DS9 kind of over-used it and abused it. It was cool the first time they did one, but they got lamer and lamer the more they did...

William Shatner's trilogy that dealt with the Mirror Universe was probably my favorite venture into those storys. They were very well done and told a lot of back-story.

I LOVED Shatner's mirror-universe books. I own all of 'em. If you ask me, he writes Trek just as well as some of the best Trek authors out there.

Back