• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Fas

Regular
I remember that book from when I was a kid, should check it out again... anyways, they are making a movie out of it.

web page .

Gotta love Disney.

I vaguely remember reading it as a kid. It was very enjoyable. I have no intention of rereading it before the movie comes out. I've learned that really makes me critical of the movie.

I might reread it after the movie though. Wow. Actually GOOD fantasy and sci-fi being made into movies? Hitchhiker's Guide, and now this?

Dare I even foster a smidgeon of hope?

I remember hearing about this movie a while ago. I was skeptical at the time, and still am, but if weta's doing the design work it will, at least, look amazing.

I keep waiting for a real trailer. The only thing I have seen are "behind the scenes" stuff. It looks good.

The religion is not that really obvious. I knew the story for years before it was pointed out to me.

The illustrator was on the third book or something, and had no idea until some journalist or someone asked him what it was like to be drawing Jesus in effect.

Basically, it is a really good story.

Hitchhiker's Guide, and now this?

Dare I even foster a smidgeon of hope?

Well, apparently Douglas Adams was involved in Hitchhiker's Guide before he passed on, so, there's hope for that one at least.

I remember that book from when I was a kid, should check it out again... anyways, they are making a movie out of it.

web page .

Gotta love Disney.

Me too. I just hope it's better then the PBS adaptations from the early 1990's

The religion is not that really obvious. I knew the story for years before it was pointed out to me.

The illustrator was on the third book or something, and had no idea until some journalist or someone asked him what it was like to be drawing Jesus in effect.
Now that is surprising. I remember watching the cartoon when I was about ten years old and the symbolism was fairly obvious to me even at that age. Of course, I had been forced to go to Sunday School every week of my life until I turned 13, so I was well trained in spoting christ-figures.

Basically, it is a really good story.
I agree, whether the religious overtones are subtle or obvious.

This film is being done more along the lines of LOTR. How they will deal with the religious overtones I can't say. They will, IMO, most likely downplay it as much as possible since they will want an international audience for the film, and the whole world isn't Christian.

They may alter it slightly to play it out more as a morality type play than anything.

The director is the man who directed SHREK. While he's a good director, this is his first time doing a live action film. The cast looks perfectly chosen and Weta is doing the FX. I have high expectations for this one.

Would love to see a trailer or something on it, though.

CE

I don't care if they soft-pedal the morality, I just want it to be there somewhere. Which basically means not altering the story too much. If Aslan doesn't die and then come back, I ain't watching it.

I for one *loved* the 80s TV series :D .. but to be fair .. I liked it when I was brand new. So you can guess how old I was ;-) .. I didn't even have a clue that there were books then, and I haven't seen any of the TV series since its original run on Austrian Television which must have been when I was 6. I saw it on DVDs last year .. I decided against buying it though, since ( 1 ) it wasn't cheap ( 2 ) I was travelling and didn't have much bag space ( 3 ) the pictures on the box looked so cheesy. Maybe it's better to just keep my memory of the series being cool without letting facts interfere with that ;-)

Looking forward to the movie :D Should get to reading the books. I have "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (which I have read, AGES ago though) .. in which order should those be read? As I've understood, The Magician's Nephew plays before the other chronologically, maybe should not be read before the others ..?

Not that I'm in too much of a mood to go out and buy all the other books in the series from stores :eek: .. god books have gotten expensive :eek:

I think I vaguely remember a TV show of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. When I was in first grade we went to a play of it, in which a kid in my class was in as the lion. I really don't remember much about it except that the lion ended up losing his tail.

The order that the books have been in the series has changed over time. My first set had Lion, Witch & Wardrobe as the first book, and Magician's Nephew as the 5th or 6th. The second one I got has Magician's Nephew as the first book and all the rest are out of order too. Though I have to admit the later ordering makes more sense.

Looking forward to the movie :D Should get to reading the books. I have "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (which I have read, AGES ago though) .. in which order should those be read? As I've understood, The Magician's Nephew plays before the other chronologically, maybe should not be read before the others ..?

I'd read them in this order :
1) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
2) Prince Caspian
3)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4) The Silver Chair
5) The Horse and His Boy
6) The Magician's Nephew (by far and away the best IMHO) For some reason it reminds me of A Wrinkle in Time
7) The Last Battle (which to be honest, I've never finished. Couldn't get past a monkey talking to a donkey as an opening I guess :D)

Heh. The order of reading for these books has always been controversial. Think TNT and Crusade ;)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was written first, and was the first book I read, but it's not the first book of the series when considered in chronological order.
When I finished LWW I went and got a boxed set which turned out to be in chronological order. At the time I think I liked that the timeline was simple and straight but nowadays I prefer the way the story flows in the published order (not to mention continuity glitches).

Chronological order:
1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

Published order:
1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader