• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

IT'S DEAD, JIM?

Re: IT\'S DEAD, JIM?

If the movie does go down this maybe my last post on this board I am starting think GKE may have been right along in another thread.

I am the only one who would be willing to give the recast B5 characters a beak maybe new faces in the ro les of Sheridan etc woulld breath new life.And B5 can't get nothing done right.I am beginning to think JMS may have something to do with it.

I'm not following you. You are a fan of B5 and yet you think it "can't get nothing done right"? :confused:

I was heartbroken when I heard the Dragonrider series was not going to be made as a miniseries (or was it supposed to be a series?) some time ago. But I had to admire the author who gave up what must have been a huge amount of cash because she didn't like what they were doing with her stories.

I'm with what seems to be the majority here: I'd rather not see this project go forward than to see what "Hollywoodized" version WB might have in mind with its dumb ideas like recasing roles.

IF they wanted new characters, let JMS write them new characters. But to recast the original roles is more so utterly moronic it is hard to believe anyone could have been serious about it. :rolleyes:

I mean't getting the series either on tv or in the movie theaters and Yes I would be willing to see the B5 movie with the original cast or not .I try to keep an open mind about everything.

I am the only one who would be willing to give the recast B5 characters a beak maybe new faces in the ro les of Sheridan etc woulld breath new life.And B5 can't get nothing done right.I am beginning to think JMS may have something to do with it.

Yes, I'm sure he does, thank goodness. It's called loyalty to his cast.

Jan

Yes, I'm sure he does, thank goodness. It's called loyalty to his cast.

I am sorry if it offens anyone around here but that is just the way I feel .It is also the reason I didn't participate in the save b5 movie campaign what will come will come. I am always skeptical if these things have any effect on studios .

I don't know if it offends. For me it just bewilders.

If you want a "new B5" then you write new characters. What's so hard about that? :confused:

If you want a "B5 story including original characters" then I'd think you'd try at least to give the original players an offer. If not for reasons of loyalty, then for reasons of plain sanity.

Who could possibly draw in as many people with recasting as would be repelled by recasting? Tom Cruise?

Tom Cruise is NOT going to be in a film whose budget is this low, I would suspect.

So would could they afford to hire who could vastly bring in more new fans than would be lost by the very same recasting?

I confess, I don't know much about the money issues, but these points were brought up by others posting who seem to know what they speak of . And it is true: it just doesn't make sense.

That might be why they are abandoning it, if indeed they are abandoning it.

And to answer Jan: suggestions for the eep contest? Either works in my mind. Either give it to whomever has the day whatever is made official or auction it and donate that to charity. I can't imagine it would earn much on auction, it might be better to just give it away to a fan. But if I'm that fan, I'd say auction it away, it would have horrible memories for me and I'd not want to wear it anyway. :(

Too true I would like to see a new B5 with new characters and PREFERABLY with the old cast mixed in .But I am not dead set against all new cast . You and I don't know what the problems were between JMS and WB were.If WB wanted substantial changes to the Babylon 5 universe then forget everything I have posted here I will back JMS all the way.The original cast too.

.It is also the reason I didn't participate in the save b5 movie campaign what will come will come. I am always skeptical if these things have any effect on studios .

As long as you accept the consequences that you'll get whatever you're handed, that's fine. I just can't do things that way.

Jan

.It is also the reason I didn't participate in the save b5 movie campaign what will come will come. I am always skeptical if these things have any effect on studios .

As long as you accept the consequences that you'll get whatever you're handed, that's fine. I just can't do things that way.

Jan

I can't do things that way, either. I'm sick of living in such a mindless culture. If I can do anything to save the few good things, I will.

Tammy

what will come will come.

This mirrors jms's comment in his last post on the subject. He said "we will see what we will see" which I immediately took as a statement of resignation, like "here goes nothing". I don't think he had particularly high hopes at the end, either.

I just wonder how generic shit like "Alone in the Dark" can make it to the screen, but a modest yet dependable franchise like B5 hits every damn bump in the road.

Jan

Neither can I, Jan. For some of us, that just goes against our grain.

I don't know if it offends. For me it just bewilders.

If you want a "new B5" then you write new characters. What's so hard about that? :confused:

If you want a "B5 story including original characters" then I'd think you'd try at least to give the original players an offer. If not for reasons of loyalty, then for reasons of plain sanity.

:LOL: You just applied "sanity" to suits in Hollywood. That's almost as funny as applying it to suits at TNT-Atlanta. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OmahaStar over on TrekBBS says that he was also at this con, and confirms that Mira said this (also said that Moyra has it on videotape). Here's the quote from OmahaStar regarding what Mira said:

She said the movie was dead, they were not recasting the roles, and all the main cast was to have been involved in the movie, which would have begun filming either next month or the month after.

Presumably not, since WB owns Babylon 5 lock stock and barrel.. Shame, it might work well as an indie movie..

Hard to tell. The DVD sales figures seem to be what caught their attention so it might be that other parties might be interested. Many concepts are optioned several times before anything actually gets made. I knew an author once who had a movie script continually optioned for 10 years but never get made.

Jan

I just wonder how generic shit like "Alone in the Dark" can make it to the screen, but a modest yet dependable franchise like B5 hits every damn bump in the road.

Because with Alone in the Dark, they can tweak the formula to their hearts content, removing all of the fun and magic from the original and turning it into a formulaic by the numbers movie. There is no pesky fanbase to get in the way.

That's what they wanted to do with TMOS, turn it into a regualr sci-fi action movie aliens clone with B5 stamped on the lid. JMS probably refused, and they didn't figure on fan action. Bottom line is, they could not feel comfortable follow their own standard formula, got scared, and bottled it.

Watch them do a u-turn in around 20 months time when the Firefly movie does well at the box-office.

I blame SFX magazine for giving it front page news...

But I'll wait for offical/ JMS confimration before venting a spleen...

p.s. Tammy, you are spot on!

Back