• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Goddammit, that does it!!!

A B5 Movie would never work. Mini-series or made for TV movies are fine, but if they try to go BIG SCREEN we'll hate it. They wouldn't be true to the story. They would try to make it stand alone because the back story is to huge to summarize. They'll try to get big names to come in as new characters or replace existing ones. A studio wants big action, sex, and big names not a detailed story. They want teen movies with top box office. They know the Star Trek movies have not done huge box office and that B5 doesn't have Trek's fan base.

I don't know if a Firefly movie would work because I never saw it, but Family Guy is right in the heart of the TEEN WALLET. I also imagine that you will never see a Firefly movie in Theaters. I can't believe anyone would bank on a show that didn't last. If it does get made it will go straight to video. It is probably just a composite of stuff they already had done and they want to see if they can turn a profit from it.

The only way a Big Screen B5 movie would work to our advantage is if JMS and the old team had full control and that will never happen. ;)

A B5 Movie would never work........etc.

I must disagee with you on that. Have you seen Equilibrium? If not, I really recommend it. That movie is.. well.. everything that couldn't succeed in your terms, but it did. And yes, Mini-series would be better than a feature film... But life isn't fair.

The only way a Big Screen B5 movie would work to our advantage is if JMS and the old team had full control and that will never happen

Why not? Joss Whedon has full control over the Firefly movie, Brannon and Braga had full control over the Next Generation movies (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is another question entirely). As for teen box office movies.... sure, LotR sure qualifies as that, doesn't it?

Why not? Joss Whedon has full control over the Firefly movie, Brannon and Braga had full control over the Next Generation movies (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is another question entirely).

Yes, but ...

Joss Whedon has a proven track record in writing for the movies (Toy Story to name just one), which JMS does not, and Star Trek's fanbase has generally guaranteed the movies pretty good box office, allowing Berman and Braga to control those as well as the TV shows for the sake of some level of consistency. (Brannon Braga is one person by the way).

B5 does not have anything like the same level of fanbase, so WB may well feel that something else (big name stars, totally self-contained story etc.) is required in order to attract sufficient box office for a movie to make a profit.

[/quote]

Have you seen Equilibrium? If not, I really recommend it. That movie is.. well.. everything that couldn't succeed in your terms, but it did.

[/quote]

Yes, I did happen to see Equilibrium and I bought the DVD right away, but what are you talking about? Did anyone see Equilibrium in a theater? I know it didn't come to a theater near me and I never saw it advertised for theaters. Christian Bale, Taye Diggs, and Emily Watson are the main stars and I think that, although they may not be big stars, they are pretty well known movie people. Plus, I'd say Equilibrium is pretty full of action. It meets most of "my terms" and still no one thought it was Big Box Office material so why would they think B5 is. These aren't my terms they are how studio people think. Well Known Actors + Action + Sex - thinking= $$$$. B5, virtually unknown movie actors + action + maybe sex + good story you have to think about and know the back story= no big box office. I don't mean to sound harsh. I am just confused on why you think Equilibrium is a good example of why a B5 movie would work on the Big Screen. I mean I love the movie but nobody I know saw a theatrical release if it had one.

Maybe I am confused on your meaning and you on mine. I am not saying that there shouldn't be more B5 movies just that JMS does them. A studio that did a Feature without JMS in control would ruin it because of the criteria I mentioned. I am also saying that no studio is going to give JMS a bunch of money with all of the power to do them as he chooses and guarentee a mass theatrical release. The only good B5 movie would be done by JMS and probably be straight to DVD which is fine by me. I'd sacrifice seeing it on the Big Screen for a quality B5 story. :D

Still though, could you imagine seeing something like a Whitestar up on the big screen and hear it fly past on cinema sound? :)

Still though, could you imagine seeing something like a Whitestar up on the big screen and hear it fly past on cinema sound? :)

That would be awesome! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, that would be awesome, but a 2 hour film is just not long enough to resolve anything in the b5 world. A mini-series makes more sense.

I agree, a two-hour movie would in no way be enough to resolve anything in the B5 universe. A mini-series wrapping up Crusade would be great, though :)

I wanna see more of Dulann, Na'Feel (sp?), and Firell of B5LR!! :) I love Na'Feel's attitude. The way she leans over to block Martell's view of the engine room and how nonchalant she is too him over the "fine tuning." And I'm very intrigued by Firell's quietness. The way she looked at Malcolm when he said he never saw his face in his dreams intrigued me some about Firell's character too.

<sigh>

Yes, I did happen to see Equilibrium and I bought the DVD right away, but what are you talking about? etc. etc.

Well, that movie had a limited theatherical release in USA, at least in some states. But my point was, that although EQ is an action film, it did quite well. It got good ratings and now, as I see it, those DVD's are selling pretty good compared to how much audience that movie had in theaters. It's a good example of a interestingly written film (just as B5 would be (I hope)) and that would attract people to it. Of course, there must be some marketing and promos, but hey, even B5LR got those, why then feature film would be left without promotional material?

I wanna see more of Dulann, Na'Feel (sp?), and Firell of B5LR!! I love Na'Feel's attitude. The way she leans over to block Martell's view of the engine room and how nonchalant she is too him over the "fine tuning." And I'm very intrigued by Firell's quietness. The way she looked at Malcolm when he said he never saw his face in his dreams intrigued me some about Firell's character too.
Damn them for not making a series! :mad: At least we still have Channe's Ranger's Redux. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back