• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Which visual style works best for you?

SwiftBiscuit

Regular
jms' works have been published in a range of formats. I was wondering if anyone has a favourite visual style that accompanies his stories.
Do you think they work better on video or comic book? Do you have a preferred artist or director you would like to see him team up with?

------------------
"You know I? I rather like this GOD fellow. He's very theatrical you know, a pestilence here, a plague there... Omnipotence, Got to get me some of that, Hmmm?" - Stewie (Family Guy)

[This message has been edited by SwiftBiscuit (edited February 22, 2002).]

No takers?

And I thought this was such a good question. Discussions over how the video format doesn't allow you to pause and reflect as the story's being told, whereas comics let you linger over each image until you are ready to move on...

*SB pouts and sulks in the corner*
wink.gif

------------------
"You know I? I rather like this GOD fellow. He's very theatrical you know, a pestilence here, a plague there... Omnipotence, Got to get me some of that, Hmmm?" - Stewie (Family Guy)

Good question, I just haven't read any of the comics and frankly I'm not interested in them either.

But if I had to compare, say, his work on screen and the short story format, then I would definitely say that the TV format works better for me, even though I love to read.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwiftBiscuit:
jms' works have been published in a range of formats. I was wondering if anyone has a favourite visual style that accompanies his stories.
Do you think they work better on video or comic book? Do you have a preferred artist or director you would like to see him team up with?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I actually prefer B5 (or Crusade or Rangers) novels (no visuals except for the cover art), based on characters we've already seen in B5, Crusade or Rangers episodes or movies. That way, as I read the book, I can see it play out in my imagination. For characters who haven't been shown on-screen in B5, Crusade or Rangers, I use characters from other TV shows or movies (e.g. Eric Etebari/Nottingham of Witchblade as Elizar).

I just can't get into comic books. The images on the page just get in the way.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>KoshN:
Well, I actually prefer B5 (or Crusade or Rangers) novels...snipThat way, as I read the book, I can see it play out in my imagination.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's something about books. I do get emotional caught up in them, but films and TV can get a greater reaction than the written word. I also imagine characters I've seen on TV, but it works the other way around as well. I still don't imagine Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan as either Ford or Baldwin. In fact I don't think either of them suit the role. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I just can't get into comic books. The images on the page just get in the way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not a big fan of comics myself, but I do find I have to slow down and savour each frame. reading straight text is much more of a speedier affair.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SwiftBiscuit (edited February 28, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwiftBiscuit:
I still don't imagine Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan as either Ford or Baldwin. In fact I don't think either of them suit the role.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me, it'd definitely be Ford.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Video 16 by 9 HDTV. Audio 5.1 DD.

laugh.gif

I think Robert Redford did an excellent job as a CIA analyst in Three Days of The Condor. He would make a good Jack Ryan. If you need someone younger to play the role there is always Kevin Costner or Keifer Southerland.

------------------
"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us ...and our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." Emperor Turhan

Back