B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 28th 11, 14:04   #1
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

New B5 coming?

JMS has been hinting for weeks that we'll get an announcement in April (or after April?). Yesterday, one of the Babylon 5 pages on Facebook, the one that had 35,000 'likes,' disappeared. I had 'liked' that page, so I noticed that it completely disappeared off of my info page. Today it is back, and is quite obviously officially connected with WB (it's obvious from the content and the links). Could this portend an announcement?

Am I the only one who has mixed feelings about this? Of course I love Babylon 5 and wish there were more of it, but I think I want that in a nostalgic way: more of the *original* series. I haven't overwhelmingly loved *anything* that followed the original series, even Crusade. And anything new will have a great big gaping hole in the shape of G'Kar. There are plenty of B5-universe stories that I still want to see, but nearly all of them would involve writing around G'Kar in some way. Short of giving us the Technomage trilogy or the Psi Corps trilogy on screen (which I somehow doubt), what G'Kar-less content could be coming our way? Any speculations or predictions?
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th 11, 19:41   #2
Bester
First One

Re: New B5 coming?

Sorry, isn't this already being discussed here:

http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=12037

?
Old April 28th 11, 20:12   #3
Jan
Psi Cop

Yeah, but that one's really in the wrong forum. Maybe a kind mod will come by to merge the two.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th 11, 20:26   #4
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Yeah, since that thread was under "personnel," it just didn't seem right to continue it, which is why I started one here.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th 11, 00:15   #5
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnlaShokGrey View Post
Am I the only one who has mixed feelings about this? Of course I love Babylon 5 and wish there were more of it, but I think I want that in a nostalgic way: more of the *original* series. I haven't overwhelmingly loved *anything* that followed the original series, even Crusade. And anything new will have a great big gaping hole in the shape of G'Kar. There are plenty of B5-universe stories that I still want to see, but nearly all of them would involve writing around G'Kar in some way. Short of giving us the Technomage trilogy or the Psi Corps trilogy on screen (which I somehow doubt), what G'Kar-less content could be coming our way? Any speculations or predictions?
No, you are not the only one. I thought Crusade had more potential intially than B5 had for me in its first season. It took me some time and going back to really like season 1.

I think it would be a mistake to do a series around the old cast in any way. I do understand many didn't think much of Crusade, but I thought it had potential (interesting characters and some very interesting plot points that may have come out).

I admit, Rangers was a bit like "let's get it on the air, then watch how it will improve" hoping. Crusade interested me much more from moment one.

Realistically? If the characters are interesting and the writing good, I'll be happy to have a new movie. I don't really think it will happen, but I'd love to be soooo wrong. I'd give it a chance, that is for certain. I have to.

If "it" is real in the first place.
Old May 24th 11, 07:13   #6
Deseret
Lurker

I have no idea honestly if another B5 is coming, I haven't heard any rumors to it but I do know that JMS still owes us a third part of The Lost Tales. Originally there were supposed to be at least 3 portions, the 3rd being Garibaldi's story, which I would like to see.

As for a totally new B5 related series, I think it would be a great idea if done right. Considering what happened to Stargate recently I think the SciFi market is rather shaky as to what it will and will not be able to handle. From what I've noticed continuations following the same timeline as an original series seem to always have difficulty. TNG did well I think because it was far enough away time wise to make the door wide enough for the creators to actually do something creative with the story; but DS9 and Voyager were a bit more closed off because Picard was still around to hover over the storyline ideas. Then Enterprise failed because (partly) because so much had already been shown by Kirk in TOS and there wasn't much room to maneuver. Babylon 5 I think has the same problem. Crusade did have alot of potential but they already had a portion of their script written out by current circumstances that I think made it more difficult to continue. Some of the movies had the same handicap, though they still turned out well, (Thirdspace for example or River of Souls).
I think if there is a new B5 (and I really hope there is) it should follow something a bit more distant. Difficult to do since so much of the timeline has already been established and a good arch would have to accurately coincide with the original idea.
Personally I would prefer seeing the story of the previous Shadow War and the advent of Valen, so little is known about that story that it could prove interesting. Or even a detailed showing of the Telepath war would be exciting, depending.
What do you guys think?
Deseret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 11, 11:59   #7
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret View Post
I have no idea honestly if another B5 is coming, I haven't heard any rumors to it but I do know that JMS still owes us a third part of The Lost Tales. Originally there were supposed to be at least 3 portions, the 3rd being Garibaldi's story, which I would like to see.
It was published in the TV Movie book published in 2009.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 11, 12:13   #8
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Quote:
I have no idea honestly if another B5 is coming, I haven't heard any rumors to it but I do know that JMS still owes us a third part of The Lost Tales.
In the nicest possible way, no creator really owes us anything. See this lovely post by Neil Gaiman on why that is:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/0...nt-issues.html

And JMS did deliver!

All in favour of more B5, if done with the right budget, people, time and care, in TV, film, book or any other medium tbh. LA Noire is currently showing how video games can deliver better cinematic experiences. I'd love to see motion cap like that in a B5 adventure game.

Missing actors and characters can be worked around, sad though it is. I'd also even be happy with a next-generation leap 100 years or so into the future, again, if done right.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 11, 18:38   #9
Deseret
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
It was published in the TV Movie book published in 2009.

Jan
TV movie book?
Deseret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 11, 19:22   #10
vacantlook

Quote:
TV movie book?
One of the script books published through Cafe Press.

And regarding the Garibaldi story, while ultimately the story really didn't do anything, it would've been interesting to see jms's take on a Martian.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote