B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 14th 11, 10:37   #151
dencor
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to dencor
Re: More B5 on the way?

So being that B5 was more popular in Britain if there is a B5 movie it might make sense to release it first in Europe. For some reason, I think this coming Monday is the day when JMS lets us know exactly what, if anything is going to happen in the B5 universe. Just a guess of course. But I wish, I was a telepath and walked by JMS at an airport somewhere. I do not think he would mind a quick peak inside his mind. Would he ?
dencor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 11, 12:15   #152
vorlonlovechild
Commander

dunno that B5 was overly popular in Britain. To me B5's success has been and will always be the fact that as a saga you buy it on DVD. It was only shown on Channel 4 in the uK and had ok - if not spectacular viewing figures. I always felt it needed to be shown on one of the main 2 channels (BBC1 or ITV1) to be a success.

For me it's strength is in its 'sense of wonder'. JMS created a galaxy spanning epic with enough possibilities to enable him to create stories within the B5 universe for as long as he would wish.
Old July 15th 11, 23:39   #153
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencor View Post
So my guess is for something like the Lost Tales dvd. A mini series of maybe the Telepath war, released straight to dvd over a period of several months. Maybe Warner Brothers convinced JMS to agree to such an approach after deciding to put a good amount of money into the project ?
I think JMS is pretty firmly against any more straight-to-dvd projects. People have talked about this elsewhere, always including something about how "if WB gave it a good budget" JMS might be amenable. But the point is: you *don't* get a good budget on a straight-to-dvd project, because the projected returns are markedly less than something that airs on tv first.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th 11, 00:49   #154
Jan
Psi Cop

After the first one, JMS was ready, willing and able to do another as long as there was a substantially better budget than the first. Then, reportedly, there was an arrogant response when he pointed out that there was a writer's strike coming and later, the offered budget wasn't any better. After that, JMS said no more unless it was a big budget film. Since then he's added the possibility of a series but again, with a proper budget and creative control.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th 11, 12:25   #155
vorlonlovechild
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
After that, JMS said no more unless it was a big budget film. Since then he's added the possibility of a series but again, with a proper budget and creative control.

Jan
Thats the way I understood it. What would be the point of more 'Lost Tales'?

Big budget feature film please?
Old July 18th 11, 13:12   #156
Bester
First One

Quote:
After the first one, JMS was ready, willing and able to do another as long as there was a substantially better budget than the first. Then, reportedly, there was an arrogant response when he pointed out that there was a writer's strike coming and later, the offered budget wasn't any better. After that, JMS said no more unless it was a big budget film. Since then he's added the possibility of a series but again, with a proper budget and creative control.

Jan
He also voiced concerns at the quality of LotR and TLT, as he later described them as 'subtracting from the legacy, rather than adding to it'. He also said that he wouldn't care to make them again. Gotta admire his honesty.
Old July 21st 11, 21:22   #157
dencor
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to dencor

Oh oh. Comic Con is almost here and I thought JMS said he would have something to say on the matter of B5 before then....and nothing so far. Anyone else a little nervous ?
dencor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st 11, 22:02   #158
Jan
Psi Cop

In general, JMS doesn't get to decide when an announcement about a project. It's up to the people who buy it.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Old July 24th 11, 04:41   #159
Jan
Psi Cop

Quick repeat of what I've posted elsewhere about the JMS spotlight at Comic-Con this afternoon:

RE: B5 Yes, there was a B5 thing in negotiations (yes, good budget - yes, full season commitment, yes, creative control) for a new distribution system but that venue never materialized.

BUT - after this, JMS went to them and said that if they weren't going to do A, B & C, let him do D, E & F. So there are negotiations going on but nothing he can talk about in detail.

in other TV news, he'll shortly begin writing a pilot for a show called 'Epidemic' that's got a some oversees companies bidding on it (and looking for a US partner).

Jan
Old July 24th 11, 05:25   #160
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Quick repeat of what I've posted elsewhere about the JMS spotlight at Comic-Con this afternoon:

RE: B5 Yes, there was a B5 thing in negotiations (yes, good budget - yes, full season commitment, yes, creative control) for a new distribution system but that venue never materialized.

BUT - after this, JMS went to them and said that if they weren't going to do A, B & C, let him do D, E & F. So there are negotiations going on but nothing he can talk about in detail.

in other TV news, he'll shortly begin writing a pilot for a show called 'Epidemic' that's got a some oversees companies bidding on it (and looking for a US partner).

Jan
So, possibly Web-Series was agreed on, with good budget, but when it came time to lay out the actual money it fell apart?

However, Plan B is still in the works?

And if nothing he's writing a Pilot for a show called "Epidemic"

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote