• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Official NASA image with a B5 twist.

Triple F

Regular
I stuck this up on jmsnews last night, then remembered that some folks on here probably don’t visit the site, so I’ve copied it over. It’s just a fun bit of minor trivia that I haven’t noticed anyone else mention.

-----------------------------------------

I’ve no intention of doing a major update to yon site I put together, but the other day I was looking over some of the stuff I didn’t include and found this.

It only took ten minutes to put together so slapped it onto the end of the miscellaneous art bit. (Partly because I remembered reading someone point at a NASA/JPL image of a nebula or some such and joking about how it looked like a shadow battle crab – though I can’t remember where I read it now).

Anyway, I haven’t seen any other site mention this minor bit of trivia but I thought it was kinda cool. ; )

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm#Screen3_05_15

I bet that pisses off the hardcore trekkies/trekkers. <snicker>

Last edited:
Although I’ve never went looking, I can’t recall a Trek Easter egg appearing on any of NASA/JPL’s stuff. Though wouldn’t be surprised to learn there’s more than one.

I've go this thought in my nut of some college professor projecting a twenty foot image of the thing onto a screen during a lecture on planetary system evolution and a student asking WTF is THAT. ; )

Last edited:
Actually, according to Wiki (and I've read this elsewhere too), the A component of 40 Eridani (also known as Omicron2 Eridani, or by the proper name Keid) is supposed to be the star Vulcan orbits. It is a K1V star (just slightly hotter than the K2V Epsilon Eridani), in a system also containing an M4V (red dwarf) and a white dwarf that orbit in a pair separated from A by about 400 AUs, meaning they wouldn't be "second suns" to a planet orbiting A, but rather fairly bright stars brighter than Venus in its sky (with pretty contrasting colors of red and white). I'm not sure if it's ever mentioned in Trek that Vulcan was in a system of multiple stars though, but supposedly that's its "canon" location according to Roddenberry himself.

It's easy to confuse 40 and Epsilon Eridani because they both lie in the upper end of the constellation (the part at the feet of Orion), are both fairly close to us (16.5 l.y. and 10.5 l.y., respectively), and both (main) suns are orange dwarves (KV) which are a bit cooler and less luminous than Sol.

So maybe if there are new discoveries made about Keid, some illustration may pay homage to Vulcan and Trek--but Epsilon Eridani is of course home to our B5.

Edit: inserted links to informative articles on both of these star systems, from the Sol Station website.

Last edited:
That is amazing... it would be a hilarious way to begin a scifi crossover series.... Carter from SG1 looks over some artistic renderings of other worlds for curiosity sake only to notice a ship hanging around Epsilon, a world with no stargate, thinking it could have been a hint from the ancients or something she checks it out by ship and finds a lost Shadow vessel that had been stuck across universes by a hyperspace flux from a certain exploding jumpgate....

I stuck this up on jmsnews last night, then remembered that some folks on here probably don’t visit the site, so I’ve copied it over. It’s just a fun bit of minor trivia that I haven’t noticed anyone else mention.

I’ve no intention of doing a major update to yon site I put together, but the other day I was looking over some of the stuff I didn’t include and found this.

It only took ten minutes to put together so slapped it onto the end of the miscellaneous art bit. (Partly because I remembered reading someone point at a NASA/JPL image of a nebula or some such and joking about how it looked like a shadow battle crab – though I can’t remember where I read it now).

Anyway, I haven’t seen any other site mention this minor bit of trivia but I thought it was kinda cool. ; )

I can't actually find the crab. Any more specific directions than "Near the planet to the right?"

I can't actually find the crab. Any more specific directions than "Near the planet to the right?"

Yeah, get your f*cking monitor fixed. ; )

[edit]
It’s there, bottom right of the hi-res section of the painting. Pass the mouse over the image and a colour adjusted version appears (higher contrast, colour faded).

Last edited:

It'll be easier if you look at the link provided on B5Scrolls page that says "here". but the problem is that its not the planet on the right but to the right of the planet in the bottom left.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back