• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cast

Favorite recurring character: All seasons

• Yes, I have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I haven't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cas

Duly noted. But this campaign may be bringing in people that haven't been active in B5 groups, ever. (I've been touting the story on slashdot.org and on eva.trivialbeing.net) And if people read the casting call and not the inside information, they may think that re-casting is for Galen only.

If the incidence of these doubts gets higher, perhaps a Wikipedia article should be started. A cross between a movie description and a "current controversy" article. It would be some work to do though, and maybe not worth it.

And if people read the casting call and not the inside information, they may think that re-casting is for Galen only.

If I understand the behind-the-scenes politics of the issue correctly from what I've read of CE and others, the format of the casting call was specific as it is for the sole point of trying to intitially chip away at the fans. That the ones advocating for recasting can get fans to be ok with new characters and recasting of Galen due to Peter's other attentions at the moment, then we might be more willing to accept the recasting of other characters.

Additionally, it serves as a considerable distract, an almost sleight-of-hand so to speak. While people are busy paying attention to the casting call that's been dropped onto the net, then they won't be paying attention to what else is going on: the desire to recast all the parts.

Part of me can understand the hesitancy of those that don't believe that the suits want to recast. The other part of me can see how considerably hard learning of what's going has hit CE, Jan, Amy, and Joe. Whatever disagreements I've had with them in the past and whatever disagreements I might have with them in the future, I trust them all too much to not believe them when they say people in positions of power are trying to screw with something I love dearly (Babylon 5).

Writing a letter or two to Warner Bros takes so little time and money that writing to WB and letting them know I love B5 and want to see the original actors again isn't a strain on me, and I suspect it wouldn't be a strain on any of those who have doubts about the efforts to recast either.

Discussion: Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.

What I posted into this "discussion" was my opinion based on the evidence I have seen. Now there may be posts from industry insiders of these forums but unless a post from JMS or an offical release from WB or there agents is forthcoming anything else is rumour.

It may be that these rumors are true, it may be that everyone except me has a hotline into WB policy room but it isn't part of my personality to believe rumours, I note them and then see what supporting evidence I can find and what evidence I can find against it.

Now from what I've seen of the "discussion" the evidence is:

The main characters are all new with the exception of Galen.

Galen is being recast; probably (possibly) due to prior commitments.

Of the other cast, only Lockley is a major returning character and although I havn't seen any evidence stating that Tracy Scoggins will be playing her, her website does have some nice pictures on it :)

JMS has stated before that he wouldn't write in previous characters JUST to have them in. Only if it was relevent to the story.

JMS has stated no comment to the rumours. JMS's previous 'no comments' have ranged from the bursting to say something but cant to the genuine 'no comment'. Due to the air of secrecy involving this project (which is not uncommon, projects that are bandied around are often in need of cash or hype) I am reading this as 'no comment'.

Peter Jurasic hinted that he was involved, other cast members have not.

Now for my speculation:
I think that as this film is about the aftereffects of shadow tech (possibly including the drahk) then of all the characters in B5, Londo is the only one who should be in it. Of the other characters I would guess that 2-3 would appear as supporting characters or cameos to provide continuity. I feel that it is possible for JMS to write a script sans Sherriden and Delen. The universe is the Babylon 5 universe, not the Sherriden and Delen universe, they are on mimbar, G'Kar is out in the void of space, Garibaldi in on Mars and Jerry Doyle isn't in people's good books anyway. Whilst I am not denying the possiblity of recasting I do not think this would happen on a major scale, rather the characters would not appear in the film. People have asked of JMS before why certain people didn't do things or appear in certain episodes, he resonded that it either wasn't their job or that they were in a different part of the galaxy.

Joe D, I understand this thread, I read it and I also read several other threads before posting. Please understand there are a lot of posts on this subject, many of them hidden in various threads and I feel it's insulting to lambast me for not reading every one. I understand english and would hope that I have just as much intelligence as you when it comes to the ability to post thoughtfully. I was venturing my opinion and whilst I expected people to disagree I certainly expected a bit more civilness from the moderator of these forums (maybe that's just my naivety to all the aspects of the Babylon 5 world).

I have seen mention of WB playing sly tricks on the fans. This isn't the way that studios work. If fans are deemed to be very important the studio will bend over for the fans, if they don't the studio will feel free to piss on them if the choose. It's often the latter, I admit but sneakiness is usually reserved for the studio to inflict upon stars, writers and directors

I do not expect my number of posts (or lack thereof) to change how people view my posts, just as I would hope people to read this post and think about what I say and why I say it rather than to lambast me as a stupid newbie.

Just as somebody who states they have an industry source does not mean that their word is gospel. I do not know these sources so I cannot comment on their reliabilty. I used to be president of the Edinburgh Science Fiction Society and am still active in the field so to speak (in addition to my day job I am also an actor and writer). I know many writers, actors and industry insiders and I have found that information from these people is not always reliable (whether due to them being misinformed, having you on or just trying to raise a bit of hype for a pet project) therefore whilst I listen, I also take it with a big pinch of salt.

Now people, please respond to my points as you should in a discussion. Produce links to relevent threads and web pages, venture evidence and opinion but do not just dismiss this post out of hand.

Adam

P.S. Flounder, I agree that an important aspect of this is to bring the B5 community together and to support any B5 movie. Even if I'm correct in my belief I hope I wouldn't undermine this in anyway. Thanks for not agreeing with me but as ever, bringing wisdom whereven you post :)

Well, if Joe D says he has insider information that they are looking at re-casting ALL of the original cast, then its TRUE its not a rumor.

This isn't an issue where you should be pulling the sheet over your head and hoping it goes away. Whats the harm in writing a letter with a few B5 Bucks in it to help save this movie?

Because believe me, you WILL be proven wrong if things aren't changed because of this writing campaign, and that won't be the best feeling in the world. Better safe than sorry.

Again, if Joe D says he knows this from an infallible source, then believe it to be 100% FACT and not rumor.

Welcome to the board, swankyg!
I agree Joe was a bit harsh, and certainly you are entitled to consider anything not officially announced as no more than rumor. When it comes to politics or the enviroment, Joe and I don't agree on much. But, if he assures us he has good insider information, you can believe that he is sure of his sources, straight forward, and sincere. Of course, it is possible that his sources are misinformed, but even studios sometimes deliberately release misinformation. He wouldn't accept this information as accurate from just anyone. On the very long "uhoh, this doesn't sound good" thread, I stated my skepticism to these rumors several times, voicing some of the same objections you have raised, and more. It makes no sense at all to me that WB would consider doing this. But the plain fact is that people in charge all too often make decisions that make no sense at all. So, that doesn't reclude it being true. The bottom line is that a letter campaign can't hurt in any case.

You've *got* to be harsh. Right now, to coin a phrase, we are stuck right between tick and tock.

Seriously, Joe is about the most well respected member of the B5 community. He wouldn't say something like this unless he *knew* it to be true. Hell, even if it's not, does it hurt to write a couple of letters? Do you really want to go and see a film that has none of the original B5 cast? Do you really want JMS to pull the plug, and never see a B5 movie?

Joe DM may well be wrong; but, he could very well be right too. Write and send your letters, they won't do any harm, and they'll certainly help if the rumours turn out to be true...

I honestly don't know what JoeDM's sources are, but he always seems to be vastly knowledgeable in B5 history and inside industry information, in general.

A few people here have even theorized a while back that JoeDM *is* JMS. I think a few people here have met him in person, thus proving that untrue, but sometimes, I'm still a bit suspicious. ;) It's almost like JoeDM has a psychic link to JMS or monitors JMS in a crystal ball or something. ;)

Okay, I'm being a bit facetious, but my point is, I would trust what he says. Even *if* he is wrong, I think there are enough people who would be surprised at him being wrong, that believing him is the safer route.

It's almost like JoeDM has a psychic link to JMS or monitors JMS in a crystal ball or something. ;)

Nah, he's just got this removable eye....<g>

Jan

What I posted into this "discussion" was my opinion based on the evidence I have seen.
I can only welcome that.

However, I would like to note... that we have *no* hard evidence of anything. Warner has revealed nothing official.

In such absence of hard information... presumably during a time when official decisions have *not* yet been made... I am inclined to trust people with contacts *more* than leaks of character data on websites of secondary importance (which obligate Warner to nothing, and indeed provide an avenue for "testing waters").

I am likewise inclined to think... that in communication with large corporate entities (whose sensitivity to feedback is notoriously low)... placing emphasis on critical issues... cannot hurt.

For me, such issues are:

-- I like uncompromised writing by JMS. I would be greatly disappointed if someone decided to override/overwrite his work.

-- I like excellent performances by the original cast. I am open to new characters... but if old characters are needed... I want the original cast to receive the first offer. The alternative would greatly disappoint me.

Stating that to Warner... I cannot consider overreaction.
They need to know what viewers care about.

And let's not forget that JMS went out of his way to not comment on this issue. He said

"I would like to be able to comment on this, but for the time being I am not able to do so."

Here's the post on JMSNews

Given JMS' track record on these things, if this was just a silly internet rumour with no foundation I think he would have said so quite clearly. Why would anyone (WB or whoever) stop him dismissing an unfounded rumour with no basis in truth?

The various postings from Jan, CE and now Joe (presumably based on information from multiple sources in a position to know) along with JMS' specific statement that he was not able to comment is enough to convince me that this is true.

It will be great if it's not true, but given the evidence presented here I just don't see it.

Cheers,

Now from what I've seen of the "discussion" the evidence is:

The main characters are all new with the exception of Galen.

Wrong. Even if you accept the casting rumours as gospel truth (because they haven't been verified either) all that the advertised roles tell us is that they are the advertised roles. Sheridan, Delenn, Corwin and Jinxo could all be in the script. If the studio isn't currently seeking actors to fill those roles (either because they've already been cast or because no decision has been made either way) they wouldn't be advertised. So you're assuming something based on zero evidence. If you pick up the want ads tomorrow and find three of your co-workers' positions being advertised will you assume that you've been fired as well? Lochley is only mentioned because her relationship with one of the new characters helps define his role.

Galen is being recast; probably (possibly) due to prior commitments.

Of the other cast, only Lockley is a major returning character and although I havn't seen any evidence stating that Tracy Scoggins will be playing her, her website does have some nice pictures on it

But she isn't listed in the "casting call" you put so much faith in. So either Scoggins has the job or another actor has already been cast, because we know the part is in the film but they aren't advertising for an actor to fill it.

JMS has stated before that he wouldn't write in previous characters JUST to have them in. Only if it was relevent to the story.

He has also said that one reason for doing a feature film would be to reward the original cast with a bigger payday. And how hard is it for a writer of JMS's talent to conceive of a story that would naturally involve all of the characters. (For anyone who beleives this is an absolute rule, I direct your attention to In the Beginning. He managed to shoe-horn every major character into that one short of Corwin, and only left Garibaldi out because Jerry Doyle's agent talked his client out of doing the movie.)

JMS has stated no comment to the rumours.

No, JMS said that he would like to comment on this, but can't. What he hasn't said is "Don't worry, there's no problem here." Now think about it. If there were no controversy, no fight with WB, why wouldn't JMS be able to say anything? He's being asked a specific question about a matter of fact. His answer won't interfere with contract negotiations or give away plot points or violate Hollywood protocol by announcing something that is properly the studio's to announce. Even if the actors aren't signed he could say, "The studio has not decided to recast as a matter of policy and we are talking to the cast, but actors are busy people and some of them might not be available."

No, if you consider it logically the only reason for JMS's silence that makes any sense is that he'll get in trouble with Warner Bros. if he speaks out. And there's no reason for Warner Bros. to get ticked off at anything he says on the subject if the rumor is fake and nothing he says can cause any problems or embarassment. So even withhout any evidence and only the reactions of JMS to go on it is reasonable conclude that the rumors are true. I hadn't considered this line of reasoning before. Thank you for providing me with this elegant solution.

Peter Jurasic hinted that he was involved, other cast members have not.

And if there's a battle going on over who is to be cast, the actors wouldn't know anything becasue they aren't going to be contacted until the decision is made. Peter made his comments months ago before the controversy arose. JMS may have quietly sounded him out because Peter has been at least semi-retired and if he were going to remove himself from consideration Londo would probably be the toughest role to recast.

Paraphrase: "Studios don't do that"

Maybe studios don't usually do the kind of manipulative leak suggested as a matter of policy - but then people involved in a production usually don't leak information to fans in the hopes of generating some grass-root support for their side in an internal dispute, either. And while it is very unlikely that any WB executive approved or even knew of any counter-leak, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that someone who wants to see the roles recast did a bit of leaking on his own. One thing you should always keep in mind when reading any story based on a leak, anythinig from an unnamed source: The source always has an agenda. Sometimes it is a noble one to reveal misdeeds. But sometimes it is a petty one: to make a rival look bad, to embarrass someone, to undermine a plan you don't approve of.

The folks who have leaked to some at this site have an agenda that isn't hard to figure out: Making sure the original cast at least gets right of first refusal to their roles.

[Speculation snipped.]

I'm guessing you haven't read any of the novels. Hint: If the movie takes place in the Crusade or Rangers time-frame, G'Kar has been back for awhile. And Sheridan and Delenn aren't chained up in a dungeon on MINbar - not MIMbar - they are President and Vice President of the Interstellar Alliance and must frequently travel to other worlds. Michael Garibaldi's far-flung business ventures would certainly involve considerable travel. As for who would be involved in a Shadowtech plot: Ivanova is commanding a warship stuffed to the gills with disabled Shadowtech, and she, Sheridan and Lochley are the only ones who know the rest of the Warlock class is similarly infected. Garibaldi inherited the late William Edgars' assorted black projects, many based on alien technology, some of it almost certainly obtained from the Shadows. Actually the character it would be trickiest to involve - at least among those still living in that time frame - would be Londo, since from 2262 until 2278 he's trapped on Centauri Prime with little contact with the larger universe that isn't monitored and/or controlled by the Drakh. Etc., etc., etc.

I'm not claiming to be infallible and I'm not asking people to believe me because I'm me. I'm merely asking people to consider the following analogy:

You hear from some guy at work that he heard from a buddy who works for your Representative that Congress is going to start taxing e-mail. That's a rumor. It seems unlikely, you've heard it before, you don't pay attention to it.

Tomorrow you pick up the New York Times or turn on CNN. They report a story based on information from an unnamed "senior congressional staffer" that Congress is considering a proposal to tax e-mail.

Now all of a sudden it stops being "rumor" in your mind and becomes reality. Despite the fact that the source in both cases is unnamed - and could, in fact, be the very same guy.

In both cases the person telling the story cannot say so publicly himself without facing serious consquences. So he (or she) has to remain unnamed.

Here's where the analogy breaks down: There is no NY Times or CNN for the people involved in TMoS to go to. This isn't a big enough story for either the mainstream or the industry press to go with. And the industry press is pretty much off-limits anyway because the chances of the story's being traced back to the source are probably better there than most places.

But some of the fans who have been contacted have, over the years, established reputations for not going off half cocked, for checking their facts and for knowing what they are talking about that makes them about as credible in the world of B5 fandom as the New York Times is in the general media. (Make that more credible. I just remembered Jayson Blair. :))

Again, ask yourself the question: Would we be doing this if we didn't know that we have our facts right?

People like you keep saying there is no officical "confirmation" Yet you accept "casting call" information from bogus web sites. (The character and plot information that everybody's heard about comes from a gossip column on an industry site in Canada, originally. It was clearly marked as rumor, and it did not characterize any of the roles discussed as "leads". This information was later picked up, altered, and posted to "Cast Call USA" a scam site that charges actors a fee to access casting information that is normally available from legitimate sources for free. Several similar scam sites, including one in the UK, have picked up the same information. All of these sites simply mine the net for any kind of casting rumors, official notices, etc. and put them up on their sites to attract the gullible. Which seems to be working out for them real well, by the way. In the meantime no official casting notices from Warner Bros. have appeared in Variety, The Hollywood reporter or any of the other usual places.)

I don't know what people expect to see as confirmation. The head of production at Warner Bros. giving an interview in the LA Times about how he wants to recast the roles in a movie based on an old TV show? A full page ad in Variety signed by JMS, Doug Netter and Bruce Boxleitner protesting the studio's ill-treatment of them? That sort of thing just isn't done. Aren't you getting the message? The people who have told us what is happening, with the unspoken hope that we would rally the fans, CAN'T @#$%^"&O@ CONFIRM THE STORY PUBLICLY If they could do that they wouldn't need us. What is so frickin' hard to understand about this concept?

And why are you arguing with us anyway? Let's say we're wrong. What harm is done if fans send in letters supporting the use of the original cast. Another point I made in my original post (and which you ignored because it is not congenial to your argument) is that if successful this won't be the last B5 film. Surely it can't hurt to let WB know we'd like to see the original actors if their characters are in the next movie. Why post messages discoraging others from participating. If you don't believe, don't send a letter. But why attack the effort?

Later,

Joe

Joe I really am glad you are back in full force. I do enjoy reading your responses and always learn something from them.

You, CE, Jan and Amy are all doing such a great job and I for one gladly rally behind you all. Letter writing is simple. Licking a stamp is easy, (might not tast great but at least they have the peal and stick now.) Doing those two things takes no time at all but can produce such wonderful prospects. :D

Swankyg, hello there. Welcome to Antony's messageboard if no one else has done so yet.

Don't let people hassle you for your ideas, by the way. They are the exact same arguments I heard many others use a month ago. Obviously there is a lot to question about people's "inside sources" and you have every right to question them yourself as others have done.

I did my letter writing a month ago, and I'm glad I was chatting with enough of the initial whistle-blowers to have done so. I hope our dedication to B5 is respected and WB's only recasts if it is absolutely necessary (such as in Galen's part).

Now we wait and see. Ironic, we were waiting for an "eep" and an official announcement for quite some time. I guess it's pretty obvious why it's taking so long. I hope they either wise up or cancel the project, quite frankly.

Time will tell.

Don't let people hassle you for your ideas, by the way. They are the exact same arguments I heard many others use a month ago.
A month ago, we didn't have the information that's been revealed in the original post of this thread. There's always a possiblity that what we've been hearing could still be a rumor, but the info in thread has made that possibility near zero.

Obviously there is a lot to question about people's "inside sources" and you have every right to question them yourself as others have done.
Not Joe's sources... and if you had been one of the folks who's followed B5 on the usenet group since the beginning, you'd be well-aware of that.

Nobody's trying to "hassle" anyone here. Swankyg's thoughts are perfectly normal and justified -- I had them myself. And, as a newer member of the forums, I can understand if he doesn't realize the weight of Joe's influence in the B5 community. (Stop turning red, DeMartino :p)

What our new friend needs to understand, though, is that there is now credible information supporting the truth of the re-casting rumors. There's no more time for speculation. We either join this letter-writing campaign or we don't. Time will tell the rest.

Nicely said, Joe. Just chiming in here because there's only one point I didn't notice you addressing.

There are some who rationalize a wait-and-see attitude by expressing faith that 'JMS would never allow recasting or meddling in his universe'. That should be phrased that JMS would *try* to not allow recasting or meddling. Given that this is his first feature film, who can say what power JMS has or not? It's pretty much a given that as successes stack up, power increases in the showbiz world. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that success in TV won't carry over to features even if B5 had been last year's runaway success.

Others say that 'If the Suits try to do this, JMS will pull the plug'. Who knows if he has that kind of power? If JMS were to walk, would that mean the end of TMoS or simply the end of any influence he might have on it? What do you think we'd end up with if the latter were true? <shudder>

I trust that my sources know exactly what they're talking about. Even if I were just an onlooker though, as I have been in the past (TNT memo anyone?), I'd've written my letters and sent in my Bucks because by doing so I'm letting WB know that I *care* about what they offer to me as entertainment. I can't see any downside to that at all.

Jan

Others say that 'If the Suits try to do this, JMS will pull the plug'. Who knows if he has that kind of power? If JMS were to walk, would that mean the end of TMoS or simply the end of any influence he might have on it? What do you think we'd end up with if the latter were true? <shudder>

Short answer, "He doesn't have that kind of power." WB owns B5 outright, and they own his script. Given that they've probably already spent several millions dollars on preproduction for this film, they might well decide to press on rather than eat that kind of money. So they bring in another producer, maybe a writer to "punch up" the script and they proceed to do what they want to do.

I don't think WB television would have done that to JMS on at TV movie or mini-series. In the TV world B5's always been a moderately-priced boutique item that returns small but dependable profits and attacts a modest but fanatical fanbase. The WB TV folk understood how much the show is one man's vision and how to the fans the real star of Babylon 5 has always been JMS himself. Actors and characters come and go. The soul of the show has always been its creator.

But to the WB Features division this is just one more mid-level movie project. The writer/producer in television is the most powerful figure on the production side of the project. In films everybody screwing an actor can get a producer credit, and writers are pretty much the bottom of the totem pole. And certainly the guys in the feature film production office are going to take the position, "WE know how to produce and market movies. You yahoos may have done OK with a TV show (although we notice you didn't break any ratings records ha! ha! ha!) but you don't know squat about making movies so shut up and do what we tell you to do." And it probably wouldn't help to remind them that Hitchcock managed to make Psycho in half the time a feature would normally take and for a fraction of the budget by using the crew from his TV show. Half the twelve year olds running the studios these days don't know who Hitchock is and think Psycho is a Gus Van Sant film. :)

I trust that my sources know exactly what they're talking about. Even if I were just an onlooker though, as I have been in the past (TNT memo anyone?)

Excellent example. I was highly skeptical about the TNT memo, especially since JMS himself (who at that point hadn't seen a copy) also expressed doubt early on. But when I learned better (from a source I could verify, but who asked not to be named) I weighed in against TNT. When I first got back on line and became aware of the recasting rumors I also said, "That's nuts." But then I started hearing from members of the "War Council" and once I became involved from others out there. (One of the advantages of not using various handles on various boards is that you're instantly identifiable. So often people just send things to me unsolicited. That's how I found out about the WB-TNT-Sci Fi Channel deal that moved the reruns to SFC several months before TNT's contract ran out, and learned that TNT's spiteful and outrageous asking price for said reruns were a key reason SFC was unable to pick up Crusade in the summer of 1999. Because someone involved with the situation e-mailed me some of the relevant information.)

In the past few weeks I have learned privately who some of the "War Council" have been in touch with, and I have been able to get information from someone who has helped me understand the sometimes byzannatine ways of the studios in general and B5 in particular before. Based on this I'm confident that we're hearing the same thing from people directly involved in the production and from outside it but in a position to know (and therefore without as much of an ax to grind.) Everybody has to be very cagey about what they say and to whom, all are extremely busy (and therefore we're hesitant to keep hitting them with "is there anything else you can tell me" messages) and at a certain point there is just nothing left that they can tell us until something breaks one way or the other.

At this point I can only say that the problem is real, the time short and the need for help great. If you want to contribute, please do. If all you have to conribute is another "I'm not sure..." or "But what if..." post, do us all a favor: Save yourself time and us time by not posting it thread - or better yet by not writing it at all. We get the idea. You don't believe us. Fine. We don't need to hear it again. This thread is for communicating with those who are willing to take 10 minutes out of their lives to do something constructive instead of taking probably more time to write one more long rant about how people shouldn't be writing letters and how we still haven't seen any proof that any of this is really happening.

As I recall Stalin kept asking for proof that those were really German planes bombing his border defences, and wouldn't let his people shoot back for most of a day until he was sure.

By the time the proof arrives at your local cinema, it'll be too late.

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short answer, "He doesn't have that kind of power." WB owns B5 outright, and they own his script. Given that they've probably already spent several millions dollars on preproduction for this film, they might well decide to press on rather than eat that kind of money. So they bring in another producer, maybe a writer to "punch up" the script and they proceed to do what they want to do.

And if that scenario isn't scarey enough to get anybody calling themselves a fan to write, I don't know what is.

Jan

Quote:

And if that scenario isn't scarey enough to get anybody calling themselves a fan to write, I don't know what is.

Jan

And if I see it come out, and JMS's name is missing from the credits in the trailer, I won't go to see it. (Though at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if the studio suits would put JMS's name in the credits even if he asked that his name be deleted from the credits or Eiben Scrood used, after what they did re. his Crusade commentary. :mad: )

ps. Recasting Galen is unthinkable. They should find a way to make it work out.

At this point I can only say that the problem is real, the time short and the need for help great. If you want to contribute, please do. If all you have to conribute is another "I'm not sure..." or "But what if..." post, do us all a favor: Save yourself time and us time by not posting it thread - or better yet by not writing it at all. We get the idea. You don't believe us. Fine. We don't need to hear it again. This thread is for communicating with those who are willing to take 10 minutes out of their lives to do something constructive instead of taking probably more time to write one more long rant about how people shouldn't be writing letters and how we still haven't seen any proof that any of this is really happening.

As I recall Stalin kept asking for proof that those were really German planes bombing his border defences, and wouldn't let his people shoot back for most of a day until he was sure.

By the time the proof arrives at your local cinema, it'll be too late.

Regards,

Joe

Very well put Joe, as always. No one is attacking the newbie, (something i hate) but this is obviously a matter close to folks hearts, so passions are going to be raised.
I apologise if I came across like that, I did not check your post count.

As i've said before here and in countless other places, even if it is all rubbish, can you really afford to not send letters? The 'what if' is too terrible to contemplate.
(Michael Douglas as Sherridan??) Do it just in case, then have a laugh and the rabid fanboy when it all blows over?

Interesting thread on the newsgroup on this very dicussion..
http://tinyurl.com/6azl2

I think the B5 fan community is a complex beast, so I can fully understand how an outsider might be sceptical, as I was when i first heard. The more sites I go to the more I become aware of those who first leaked the information's integrity and connections.

I've been active on this site for a year, and trust the people who have mentioned this enough to spend time and money on the campaign. And it really does not take much of either.

JMS has said he'd love to be able to comment, but can't. That is what swung it for me.

And just to demolish the casting notices once and for all, this time based on logic and the kind of minimal "industry knowledge" that can be gained by reading a book or two about the business, here's an excerpt from one of those unsolicited messages I mentioned above: (Edited to remove certain semi-personal information)

First off, for The Industry, the only legitimate sources of news are Variety and Hollywood Reporter. These are the two biggest trades. I saw nothing relating to the casting of the new B5 project in either. Now if they were looking for "Name Actors Only" as the first casting notice stated, why on earth would they list it as an Open Call sort of thing? The only time I've seen Open Call casting notices for film are in Backstage West, and they are for extras, not lead characters ... When people are looking to cast lead roles in Studio films, they solicit submissions from agents, not list them in the internet equivalent of stapling a xerox to a telephone pole.

I am of the opinion that the "Casting Notice" itself is pretty damn bogus ... those are scam websites designed to get money from wannabe actors, etc.

While I do not belive those notices are legit, I won't discount the information entirely - maybe someone got a hold of some early drafts and leaked the info in a way that would seem legit. Or maybe someone's just screwing with us by making sh*t up and sending the info to scam websites.

Back