• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Bruce's interview

Boxie

Regular
Bruce\'s interview

:) Someone was kind enough to post this link for Bruce's UK radio interview on the WB board a few days ago. It suddenly struck me I didn't see anything about it here...

Please forgive me if someone has already mentioned it, :D I just wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to listen in.... :D

Here's the link:
http://www.area51radiostation.com/ :)

Re: Bruce\'s interview

I got up earlier than I usually do on a Sunday (7:00 AM) and so far I am disappointed. I have only heard him :D talk about Captain Sheridan 4 times. Am I missing something here, or was that it? :(

:LOL: It was brief, wasn't it? But he sounded good and had some really nice things to say about UK fans and the warm welcome they always extend when he visits there.

Overall, two things struck me: He mentioned past talk of a B5 movie...that he thought it might have worked about 5 years ago but probably not now....You'd better believe I would have asked him why, :( but the other guy didn't. And then, when summing his feelings, his tone changed a little and he said, "It's a show worth remembering...." Funny, that's the way I feel about it, too! :D

As for why Bruce thinks it would have worked 5 years ago, from what I've heard of his opinion of things, he's one of the folks who thinks that Babylon 5 shouldn't have ended at the end of the fifth year of the show. He seems to be of the opinion that there should have been a sixth season and on despite the original plan for B5 to terminate at the end of season five. My guess is his thinking it would have worked 5 years ago is tied to these feels of there should having been more than 5 seasons of the show.

It's just a case of striking when the iron is hot. Bruce assumes, as in most cases, that B5's buzz has died out. You gotta admit, there ain't a whole lot of news when we come around here these days.

Still, Star Trek showed that a series can return with its ORIGINAL actors even after a ten year absence. So we'll see. JMS is supposedly going to get together with the people at WETA when he visits NZ. Imagine what they could do for B5 if such a project ever resurfaced.

Kepping the Faith (until it kills me). :LOL:

The Babylon 5 DVDs are still on sale in Britain. They are actually displayed in high street shops which means that they are still selling.

The Babylon 5 DVDs are still on sale in Britain. They are actually displayed in high street shops which means that they are still selling.
Same in the Netherlands. Not only that, but all seasons have the new packaging (like crusade, S5). So it can not be just clearing out old stock either.

Same here in the Southwest...

I was out amongst the masses shopping yesterday, and bought several DVDs as gifts... :( I didn't see a lot of B5 on the shelves either.

While Bruce has always been an enthusiastic supporter of the show, his point of view is that of a working actor who saw it as the best gig of his life.

If you're at a job you like because it has good pay, good hours, and friendly and professional co-workers, you will speak good of your company. No matter how much you believe in the actual product or service, your first thought is of your cushy job.

Same with Bruce- sure he appreciated the writing and the characters, but he appreciated the short hours and regular pay more, and that's why he would have wanted B5 to go on indefinitely- so that he wouldn't have to hussle anymore.

I'm sure he probably liked the star billing and the chance to stretch his acting muscles too. Most of the actors felt the show was a real joy for the dialogue they were handed as well as the reasons you stated.

He'd already had star billling on a hit show on a major network, so I doubt that landing the lead on a first-run syndicated SF show that ran at odd hours was that big a deal to him. :)

BTW, I think Scarecrow and Mrs. King is headed to DVD this year.

Regards,

Joe

He mentioned past talk of a B5 movie...that he thought it might have worked about 5 years ago but probably not now....You'd better believe I would have asked him why

Boxie, they probably did ask him why. To me, it sounded like they had a longer interview and cut it up to shreds which they spaced out over the course of the long program (which was fairly annoying, but hey, their business is to get us to listen to the program for as long as possible). They probably only gave us his "punchiest" answers; the things that sounded the most interesting or soundbitey to the producers of the show. Too bad we couldn't have heard more! If they'd done it in front of an audience, you can bet some fan would have recorded and posted it.

He'd already had star billling on a hit show on a major network, so I doubt that landing the lead on a first-run syndicated SF show that ran at odd hours was that big a deal to him. :)

I know all about "Scarecrow", Joe, but in every interview Bruce was very fatalistic regarding his career. He knew that at his age, landing another lead role after B5 would probably never happen again. Likewise, I'd bet that in the intervening years since the end of "Scarecrow and Mrs King", the appeal of "Lead in a sci-fi show appearing at odd hours" was starting to sound pretty good.

I remember watching Scarecrow and Mrs. King when it was out years ago. It was a pretty good show. :LOL:

I remember watching Scarecrow and Mrs. King when it was out years ago. It was a pretty good show. :LOL:

I remember Scarecrow and Mrs. King, too. Actually, what I remember the most is that he :eek: :eek: looked so good. :D

I'm pretty sure I've still got them all on tape somewhere. Back then I felt kind of bad when I realized that I was truly lusting after this man. Hmmmm... :eek: :eek: I just might have to think about digging those things out of the closet... :D ;)

Back