• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

If you could re-score B5...

Which was essentially the effect that JMS was going for.

Which I think was a mistake. JMS seems to have gone out of his way to distance the show from B5 on a LOT of levels. I remember that leaving a lot of us in '99 with a resounding feeling of "Why bother?" I'm sure it would have gotten better, but still...

Which was essentially the effect that JMS was going for.

Which I think was a mistake. JMS seems to have gone out of his way to distance the show from B5 on a LOT of levels. I remember that leaving a lot of us in '99 with a resounding feeling of "Why bother?" I'm sure it would have gotten better, but still...

As became evident in this first Crusade script book, at lest some of the 'distancing' wasn't JMS's idea at all. Apparently the Powers that Be at WB wanted a sequel to B5 that had no relation to B5 at all. Whether the music was part of that or not, maybe we'll find out in future books.

JMS has said in recent appearances, though, that in hindsight, he feels that the choice of Chen was a mistake.

Jan

The music of B5 suits, B5. If you are flipping through channels you can recognize B5 almost instantly because it didn't look like anything else on TV. You can still recognize the music from B5, because that does not sound like anything else on a TV score.

Only musical complaint from all of B5... A Call to Arms. Crusade music was Ok.

It's odd. I like Chen's music on the show, I think it suits it well enough, and it's entertainingly odd enough to be contrapuntal to the action on occasion. Not an easy fit, but an interesting one. Yet I do *not* like it on CD. It doesn't work by itself. I'm not sure why.

I think B5's score is incredible and JMS NEVER should have went with Chen for Crusade. The score for Crusade is a perfect example of a score that distracts the viewer rather than creates an atmosphere that elevates the material.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back