• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

German R2 TV-movies dvd boxset

I've got a question on the german R2 TV movie boxset, found here

Can anyone who owns this boxset tell me if the included version of the Gathering is the original version or the directors cut?

So far I've been able to find out the following, but I can't find any information about the pilot.
  • The dvd defaults to the standard language of your dvd-player, so you won't have to manually set it to English.
  • It collects all 6 movies, that's including LOTR.
  • There are no special features, which is a bit of a disappointment, but...
  • ...the price really is a steal: EUR 25,89 (USD 35,78).
After watching TLT, I'd like to complete my Babylon 5 dvd-collection, but I'm a bit on the fence about this set. I already own In the Beginning and the Gathering (original version), and I don't usually double dip. If this set has the director's cut of the Gathering, that would but me over the top.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Last edited:
The Director's cut of 'The Gathering' opens with the arrest of a drug smuggler. The original version does not.

Thanks A_M_Swallow. So if someone who owns this set can tell me if it begins with the arrest of a drug smuggler, that would answer my question beautifully.

Thanks A_M_Swallow. So if someone who owns this set can tell me if it begins with the arrest of a drug smuggler, that would answer my question beautifully.

I do not own the set, but I am basically sure that this set includes the original version. I ran into this boxset in a store here in Vienna twi years ago or so, and checked into it. The revised version of The Gathering was never dubbed into German .. and the German retailers would never dare release something without a German audio track, considering the local aversion to subtitles. *ALL* German releases of the Gathering are the original version.

Does this have English Audio as well ? We STILL lack a R2 box set with all five movies in the UK... One with LOTR as well now would be good...

Does this have English Audio as well ? We STILL lack a R2 box set with all five movies in the UK... One with LOTR as well now would be good...

Yes, it does, or I wouldn't have purchased it :D .. which has made the German release a bit of a collector's item, and something many Brits have gotten themselves too - it's the only proper release of the original version of the Gathering.

The lack of a complete boxset does suck though. My advice for anyone in Europe that has a region free DVD-player and system that can take NTSC, like myself .. loaded247. British shipping house that ships American DVDs, so you can buy stuff from them without having to worry about the weeks stuff will need to get over the Atlantic, about payment difficulties, or about taxes.

They have the R1 Movie set for 30 Pounds. I'll be getting it very soon.

Thank you Chilli.

The R1 set isn't an option since I don't have the hardware.

A shame the directors cut is not included on the german set. However, I'm thinking about getting this set and seperately buy the UK R2 version of the Gathering (which is the dc).

That should set me back 35 euros, for all six movies - still a great deal.

Yes, it does, or I wouldn't have purchased it :D .. which has made the German release a bit of a collector's item, and something many Brits have gotten themselves too - it's the only proper release of the original version of the Gathering.

Actually you're not quite right. I didn't want anything to do with the original cut when I bought my Complete Universe Boxset from amazon.co.uk, yet the one in it *was* the original cut. Apparently there's no way to tell with the UK release which version you've got until you put it in and watch it, as they're both in circulation. I'm currently making do with an illegally downloaded copy of the TNT cut, as I'm not prepared to rebuy all the other movies just to get a Region 1 NTSC disc of the better cut.

Be careful DangerousApple, or you might end up with two copies of the original cut. :(

I don't think it's really a case of one cut being better than the other, I think both cuts are about equally good.

That's a matter of opinion (my own is that the TNT cut is much better), however since the TNT cut is JMS' preferred version, I think that should be the one sold.

At the very least, there shouldn't be two different versions in circulation that use identical packaging (which is misleading in one case), making it impossible to know what you're buying.

At the very least, there shouldn't be two different versions in circulation that use identical packaging (which is misleading in one case), making it impossible to know what you're buying.

That I wholeheartedly agree with..

I've got both on DVD.

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, they look exactly alike, so I don't know which one I'm watching, until it's in the machine. I did put a sticker inside one of the cases, but I can't remember which one.:rolleyes:

That gives the German edition a certain advantage. Its cover is this.

German retailers are so .. funny.

Latest posts

Members online

Back