• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Actually the Enterprise show, (and yes I know many don't recognize it or like it), showed Reman in the background in many scenes on the planet Romulus. It was in the romulan trilogy:
Babel One
United
The Aenar
Sooo yeah, if you only saw Star Trek Nemesis I can understand why you'd never heard about anything about Remus; or even for that matter it's people.

Enterprise was not great but got better toward the end, or so I have been told. I stopped watching it in S2. However, are you saying that they showed Remus in the background of Enterprise episodes?

And PLEASE, I am begging you to resist using the color tags. I have noticed them in several of your posts and they are obviously not working properly. Thanks. :D

Enterprise was not great but got better toward the end, or so I have been told. I stopped watching it in S2. However, are you saying that they showed Remus in the background of Enterprise episodes?

And PLEASE, I am begging you to resist using the color tags. I have noticed them in several of your posts and they are obviously not working properly. Thanks. :D

Agreed S1 and S2 left alot to be desired. S3, wasn't too bad, but, the season long Xindi Arc got old before it ended. S4, however, was really quite good, and was what the show should've been all along, IMHO.

Haven't seen S4 in quite some time, but, if I remember correctly, they did have a Romulan arc for a few episodes, but, they kept the Romulans and Humans separated, since Humans never saw Romulans until Balance of Terror.

No just the Reman. Atleast from what episodes I've scene any way. Still it recognized the existance of the race. Even if we didn't actually see their homeworld.

Is it not supposed to show the color tag markers on each side? Hmmmmm.

Agreed S1 and S2 left alot to be desired. S3, wasn't too bad, but, the season long Xindi Arc got old before it ended. S4, however, was really quite good, and was what the show should've been all along, IMHO.
I totally agree.

Haven't seen S4 in quite some time, but, if I remember correctly, they did have a Romulan arc for a few episodes, but, they kept the Romulans and Humans separated, since Humans never saw Romulans until Balance of Terror.
You are correct.

Last edited:
No just the Reman. Atleast from what episodes I've scene any way. Still it recognized the existance of the race. Even if we didn't actually see their homeworld.

Thanks for explaining this. I didn't know they made any reference to someone from Remus in any Trek series. :)

Is it not supposed to show the color tag markers on each side? Hmmmmm.
If you look at the text of yours that I quoted, those tags should be invisible and the text should be a different color. Antony disabled most of those font functions here.

Thanks for explaining this. I didn't know they made any reference to someone from Remus in any Trek series. :) .
Your welcome as always friend. :)

If you look at the text of yours that I quoted, those tags should be invisible and the text should be a different color. Antony disabled most of those font functions here.
Okay question: If I delete the tags on both sides if it's not posting right, will the link still allow people to go to it? :vulcan:

Last edited:
A few personal observations:

* I thought Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk was excellent casting. He looked enough like Pine and had enough of a similar Kirk bravado to be believable.

Returning to this thread finally. Glad to see Markas saw this and had a similar opinion. Ignore the plot, enjoy the movie. I also wanted to add I also thought the role of George Kirk was played perfectly and cast perfectly as well. Not only for capturing the "bravado" as you put it of a Kirk, but for his likeness to Chris Pine.

I also returned to change a prior comment of mine. When I first posted in here my opinion of the movie and the plot and the time travel and all the big changes / alternate universe stuff they did...I posted that it wasn't necessary. That it would have been fine by me to just call it a "re-imagining" and that they didn't and shouldn't have tossed the time traveling and changing history stuff into it. Well...I've changed camps on that.

Not for my purposes though. I think the key thing I posted before was that *I* didn't need to see any of that stuff to be able to take it as a re-imagining. I couldn't care less. But from what I have seen since this movie came out....some of which in this very thread (people trying to explain how the plot works with Star Trek Enterprise and the like) I have come to the conclusion that it was VERY NECESSARY to do that to a large bulk of hardcore fans.

I'll admit, at first I didn't see a reason or a need. I see it now and why they did it.

I do need to see it again. I may again concur with Recoil's new take on the time travel plot points. I also find that I get really nitpicky about shows that I am devoted to. I know it is a personality flaw that I have that I won't suspend disbelief as much with Star Trek or Babylon 5.

The producers, director and writers were trying to make most of the old fans happy and to create a new franchise that will make Paramount a few more billion dollars. I will try to keep that in mind in the future.

I should say something snarky here, but I will avoid it.

You already did when you said "And we know this how?" after I took the time to post information and explained where each piece was coming from.

As far as I am concerned, comic book tie-ins and what the writer said off the cuff isn't in the story itself.

I've never heard someone refuse to accept a writer's input on his own material before. The comic story was written by Orci and Kurtzman in an effort to flesh out the story (and make money, no doubt) and the comments were from Orci. Aside from the Rura Penthe stuff, none of this will ever be filmed and as such will not meet some people's strict interpretation of canon. But it is what it is and if you don't accept it, you've got nothing at all. By this thinking, no one would have bought the jms script books and no one would have ever bothered to ask him a question.

It is just plain sloppy in my opinion.

I agree. But the fact that the movie was probably written in crayon does not change the fact that this is the official story from now on.

Last edited:
You already did when you said "And we know this how?" after I took the time to post information and explained where each piece was coming from.

Surely you jest. I was being snarky because you stated things that were not in the film...anywhere, and I asked "and we know this how" with you answering "because I'm telling ya"? My question was serious.

I've never heard someone refuse to accept a writer's input on his own material before. The comic story was written by Orci and Kurtzman in an effort to flesh out the story (and make money, no doubt) and the comments were from Orci. Aside from the Rura Penthe stuff, none of this will ever be filmed and as such will not meet some people's strict interpretation of canon. But it is what it is and if you don't accept it, you've got nothing at all. By this thinking, no one would have bought the jms script books and no one would have ever bothered to ask him a question.

You have gone down some path of logic that was not my intention. I was talking about the Star Trek film that we all saw. I understand that creators often have to take story points out because it doesn't fit for some reason or they don't have time to tell that bit. My comments were all film-based ones. How do we know that the Narada was captured? How did we know why the Enterprise was built in Iowa, or that they figured it was safer to build on the ground?

I was not saying that your information was incorrect or that I was refusing to accept what the writers' input after the fact, just that there is no way to grasp that in watching the film.

I agree. But the fact that the movie was probably written in crayon does not change the fact that this is the official story from now on.

Ditto. ;) (Which means that I agree completely with your statement there.)

Surely you jest. I was being snarky because you stated things that were not in the film...anywhere, and I asked "and we know this how" with you answering "because I'm telling ya"? My question was serious. My comments were all film-based ones. How do we know that the Narada was captured? How did we know why the Enterprise was built in Iowa, or that they figured it was safer to build on the ground?

The obvious answer to those questions and many many others is "we don't" and new fans don't have a clue. Many times a film will start in progress in a package universe where we learn some things and simply accept others. This film presents a dilemma because it doesn't fit many of our preconceived notions

Last edited:
Watched this tonight and all I can say is it was OK.

Don't know what all the fuss about Uhura was,far better looking wenches in the film.

As for the blatent racism in having a non Scot play Scotty (what's with that name) again :rolleyes: do you not think that an effort could have been made to cast somebody who could actually gi ah wee bit reality tae the man ;)

Jar Jar binks wiz puir brill though man :thumbsup:

As for the blatent racism in having a non Scot play Scotty (what's with that name) again :rolleyes: do you not think that an effort could have been made to cast somebody who could actually gi ah wee bit reality tae the man ;)

Does Karl Urban come from the Deep South?:p

Does Zoe Saldaña come from Cantral Africa?:p

Spot the fundamental flaw in your argument?;)

... does Zachary Quinto come from Vulcan? :D
And then you had a Korean guy playing a Japanese guy with a Filipino name. ZOMG.

I think the rest of the world could use the same argument about Sean Connery attempting to play a non scot.

At least Pegg attempted an accent. Connery was too lazy to try any accent other than his own!

Sorry mate :D

At least all those nationalities were represented. Apparently in Star Trek's future, there are no Jews in space.

At least all those nationalities were represented. Apparently in Star Trek's future, there are no Jews in space.

Although to confuse matters further, it did have a Jew playing Spock (who even used the shin gesture taken from a Jewish blessing to form the Vulcan salute).

Although to confuse matters further, it did have a Jew playing Spock (who even used the shin gesture taken from a Jewish blessing to form the Vulcan salute).

Funny how pretty much everyone knows that Spock was played by a Jew, but it generally goes unmentioned that Kirk was, too. Shatner just looks too much like an Aryan Übermensch, I guess. They even made a dig at that in Patterns of Force.

Regarding the no Jews on Star Trek: I don't think there was ever any reference to any contemporary relgious group, was there? "Courageous" as Trek was regarding stuff like race and war and the such, they were pretty chickenshit regarding religion.

The only cultural/ethnic Jews I can think of in any Trek show would be Worf's adoptive parents.

(Which leads me to another question - why are Jews in Space in the 2Xth century always Russians? As in, properly born and raised in Russia? Jews have steadily been getting the fuck out of Russia as quickly as they can for more than a century. There are now ten times as many Russian Jews in the US than there are in Russia, according to Wikipedia. It's unlikely that there's going to be a notable Jewish minority in Russia by the end of the current century, let alone two centuries after that.)

Yeah, Chilli, but whoever's left by that time will be extremely Jewish.

Reminds me of Jewish demographics about a century ago. Biggest Jewish city in the world back then? New York. Second biggest? Cincinnatti.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back