• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Matt Smith Dr Who

Spoiler for for River Song:
The BEst would have to be Romana or the Doctor himself, no?

Spoiler for for River Song:
River Song made it clear she was not taught by the Doctor. Romana actually found the instruction manual, so her landings were better than the Doctors.

To be taught by another Time Lord implies that the Time Lords escape from their prison.

So, I watched tonight's new (to the US) episode. It wasn't bad, but it did kinda feel a bit mundane.

To like "Victory to the Daleks" you have to like WW2, Daleks, Churchill and Spitfires. Since we do not get involved with the Doctor's dilemma the episode can fall flat.

I actually "like" WWII and all that, in that I think it's a great setting for a story. It was the space scenes with the new pregnant Daleks that made this episode fall flat for me - I would have much preferred if they had gone somewhere with the ground-based story.

Also, talking a bomb out of being a bomb?

I in general thought yesterday's (UK) episode was great, but the last 5 minutes .. when people asked me a few weeks ago what I meant when I said that I was somewhat worried about what Moffat might do as a show-runner, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that I meant.

The Angels two parter was superb overall, if a bit all of the shop. Yes, the last five minutes were a bit random, but it never left you guessing.

Karen Gillingham is just lovely. Did I mention that?

I'm kind of thinking they are leading or misleading us into thinking that:

Spoiler for For River Song:
River is going to kill the Doctor for some reason... and that this is going to be the event that paradoxically cements their relationship

So, I watched tonight's new (to the US) episode. It wasn't bad, but it did kinda feel a bit mundane.

To like "Victory to the Daleks" you have to like WW2, Daleks, Churchill and Spitfires. Since we do not get involved with the Doctor's dilemma the episode can fall flat.

I think it's more that the pacing was completely off, that's my biggest beef. It could have done with being a two parter with the (ugly) new dalek reveal being the cliffhanger.

However... quasi-subservient dalek teasmaids and jammy dodger self destruct button = inspired.

Also, talking a bomb out of being a bomb?

You should watch the movie Darkstar. That's what it is mostly about.

I guess my biggest problem with the ep is that the Spitfires in space are just silly. Okay, they got them up there, with a bubble of air around them. But, there is no way the pilots could maneuver normally in space.

Definitely some moments to make you groan, but overall, not a terrible episode. I think the most important thing is it did show the new Doctor is as dark as Tennant was at the end, I was concerned about that with regards to River Song's comments to Tennant in Silence in the Library. And, to some people's misfortune, it gives MOffat back the Daleks for later usage.

Spoiler for Angels Part 2:
I thought that Amy not knowing about the Daleks stealing the Earth meant she was an imposter. The soldiers going into the light (crack) being rewritten out of time so that none time travellers cannot remember them suggests a different possibility. The Daleks are going to get written out of time. Possibly from the beginning of the Time War. This could be performed by either the Doctor and/or the Time Lords.

I thought that Amy not knowing about the Daleks stealing the Earth meant she was an imposter. The soldiers going into the light (crack) being rewritten out of time so that none time travellers cannot remember them suggests a different possibility. The Daleks are going to get written out of time. Possibly from the beginning of the Time War. This could be performed by either the Doctor and/or the Time Lords.

That's interesting... especially in the light of this that I discovered via the Twittersphere. I completely missed it:

Spoiler for For the Doctor:
There may have been more than one Eleventh Doctor in the episode. Two Doctors in Flesh and Stone theory.

I like the idea especially because the "continuity error" seems too forced.

Spoiler for for Amy:
If you remember, the angel in Amy's mind did not exist any more because the angels (specifically Angel Bob) did not exist (having been pulled into the time crack). She merely remembered it because time travel alters perspective as previously stated in the episode.

Some of this spoiler stuff is over the top... if it's future speculation fair play, but it's annoying talking with past tense as spoilers... we don't get the same treatment for shows like Lost or BSG. It just seems a little silly.

Because of these 2 episodes I went back and watched Blink. Wow, it still is an awesome episode. It did bring up questions for the new episodes.

Angels don't kill people. They would send them back in time stealing the energy from their lost lives. The Doctor called them the nicest killers because they let you live your life out just in another time period.

Another thing was they were also very lonely because they could never look at each other because they would be stuck as statues. At the end of blink he tricks them to face each other and they stay frozen. That's why they usually have their hands over their eyes to prevent that from happening. This time there was a cavern full of them and they were all looking at each other. How did they not freeze themselves?

These two anomalies are huge in my book. Moffat is usually much better about this and since he wrote Blink he can't have a different interpretation of the material.

Well it wasn't simply that they were looking at another angel, it was that their eyes were aligned so they couldn't break gaze in Blink.

The Doctor himself expressed surprise at the fact they were killing in a more brutal fashion. Perhaps Angel Bob had a vendetta. who knows?

As for the notion of Sally and the other characters in Blink not bearing the image of an angel... I'm putting that down to the four Wester Drumlins angels being scavengers and not having access to their full arsenal of abilities.

That's interesting... especially in the light of this that I discovered via the Twittersphere. I completely missed it:

Spoiler for For the Doctor:
There may have been more than one Eleventh Doctor in the episode. Two Doctors in Flesh and Stone theory.

I like the idea especially because the "continuity error" seems too forced.

I have only seen through Victory of the Daleks so far. All I can take from Amy not remembering the Dalek invasion of Earth is that the timeline has somehow been changed, so it never happened. It is an interesting development.

Expanded upon greatly in the next two episodes. Its also really good with an ongoing plot that is intergal to each episode now, rather than just a hint dropped in each one.

Am very much enjoying the new 100% Moffat-flavour Who.

I really enjoyed Time For Angels Book 1, River is becoming even more mysterious, and this still isn't the first time River has met the Doctor in her own timeline. The Bishop warned River not to let the Doctor figure out who she is, or why she knows him? Interesting twists on what we already knew about the Weeping Angels. Best episode of the first 4, IMHO

I think they should try using a big industrial sand blaster on the "Weeping Angels." It would get rid of an ordinary statue quick enough...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back