• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

I've seen a trailer for a remake of the original Sleuth, with Caine as the old guy this time.

As y'all know if you've been following my other thread, I've been watching "Farscape." Also I'm taking my mom through Buffy. So I have to juggle my fictional universes now and then, but it's all to the good.

Yea, that's probably it. In the other version (the one I called "American") Christopher Reeves was the younger man, Michael Caine of course was the older.

It was a very good movie. I can only imagine this one with Olivier is even better, since I've never really seen him do anything like this before. :cool:

That's why I want to wait until I have enough time to really pull up a chair and watch it.

Farscape was fun, though I stopped watching after I think season 2 (?). I did see the ending and have since since some of what came in between. I'll have to rent it some day.

It's good to hear you're enjoying it. As much as the muppet-like characters are criticized, it's about the only way they will ever portray true alien races without the use of extensive CGI.

From what I've heard, if you like it past the time a major character leaves the show, you'll love the rest of the series. Man, did I know a lot of people up in arms about its cancellation.

Side note, and extreme irony: I'd heard that MASH (as well as other eventually-quite-popular shows) had terrible ratings in the first season, and was lucky to get a second season, when I guess word spread more and their audience went way up.

I've heard that kind of thing before; enough for me to think some of these excellent series wouldn't make it past season one in the current television market.

And that's sad.

Yea, Firefly got lucky for a short time. 2 seasons? Or did they only do 1.5?

It just seems that networks are far less patient about letting a show "grow" and audience.

Firefly lasted half a season.

Ah, I see. No wonder it was gone before I ever saw an episode. :eek:

But that's just my point, there. A lot of people I know thought it was a very good series, and I would have gotten into it and caught up on season 1 via rentals.

But networks/stations just have no patience anymore.

We are watching 'Big Love' and 'Freaks and Geeks'.
Freaks and Geeks makes me want to watch Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin again.

It was a very good movie. I can only imagine this one with Olivier is even better, since I've never really seen him do anything like this before. :cool:

I'm going to commit heresy with regard to Olivier:

I prefer Branagh's interpretation of Henry V to Olivier's.

I prefer the grittier passionate delivery to what I see as indulgent over-romanticization (although Olivier's film was admittedly affected by the need for propaganda).

I don't mind romanticization, but I just feel Olivier overplayed the pageantry and you start to lose the sense that the people depicted were real and not fairytale.

Spaced - a British sitcom that has a total of 14 episodes.

It's incredibly stupid, and one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I just watched Fast Food Nation, a movie about the fast food/burger biz, directed by Richard Linklater. It was very well done, but also raw in parts... I recommend it, but you may never want to eat another chain burger again... it is a drama, not a doc.

Read the book of that. It put me of Macdonalds for at least a year. And KFX, never again.

Spaced is awesome. Just watched 300, going to try and sit through Star Trek V next.

This morning I watched a lesser known flick called Stealing Home. Here and there Mark Harmon manages to find a good production to showcase his skills. It doesn't hurt that a young fresh Jodie Foster is showing he range and (why is it I just lost the ability to accurately spell subtly...??) subtly.

Also the other evening I experienced a fascinating back-to-back of Stallone/Banderas Assassins followed immediately by Tin Cup. A surprisingly satisfying contrast, interestingly enough.

On the TV dvd front, lately it's been MASH, MacGuyver, and Wild Wild West (DON'T be fooled by the pretty color of season 2 of Wild Wild West, all the quality of score, story, characterizations, and presentation are in season 1...... save for Loveless as a perpetually reliable commodity in the series, much like Q from Star Trek The Next Generation).

Right now this moment though, I'm watching a tropical course on Tiger Woods 2005 hand me my as. :)

I have been watching a lot of Betty Boop cartoons from the 30s. There is not a good, comprehensive collection available on DVD. There was an excellent collection released on VHS back in the late 90s, which I own. It has all 115 Betty Boop cartoons that are known to still exist. Four are lost.

I have a DVD recorder with a 160GB HDD. So, my current project is to record all 8 tapes of The Ultimate Betty Boop Collection into the HDD. Then, I insert chapter marks between each cartoon. I will use those marks to divide each toon into a separate title, so I can create menus with toon titles, and thumbnails of my selection. I will then burn them all to 8 DVDs, in chronological order by release date. The tapes were in a rather scatter-shot order. It will be interesting to observe the evolution of the character. Many of the early ones were great, with several including famous jazz musicians, like Cab Calloway, and Louis Armstrong. Then the "Hays Code" came in, aimed at anything considered sexual. They are the ones who said cartoon cows couldn't have udders! So, Betty became rather dull, so most of the later ones aren't very good.

I love the Boop cartoons with Cab and Pops.

After not having cable and relying on Netflix and downloading for my entertainment needs, I totally flipped it around and recently got a HD digital cable with an HD-DVR, HBO and couple of other premium channels. Ridiculously enough, it was cheaper to also get landline phone service than just the cable. And because I already had cable internet with them and they're assholes about everything, I now have seperate modems for my phone and internet. And I've downgraded Netflix to the cheapest service ($5/mo for one DVD out at a time).

I did this because I'm an HD junky now. Right now I got the Gators vs U-Kentucky (that's American college football for the non-Americans not blessed with the sport nor cursed with the BCS) in glorious HD. I actually care what colors the uniform are because some look better on my TV. The two best teams to watch because of how they look on my TV and because they're actually good are Kentucky

311611.jpg

and my local team, where friends and Jersey girls I've had the ear-piercing misfortune of hooking up with go:

Rutgers_Rice.jpg

Ray Rice for the Heisman, bitches!

(my google image search for U Kentucky also resulted in this. heh)
onya-redskins.jpg

I'm also gonna use the HD premium channels for movie watching in place of most netflix. Right now I have Natural Born Killers, Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai and the Prestige. And based on recommendations from friends I've started checking out Scrubs (so far: meh, perhaps a bit too wacky for my tastes. I think the same people who like Scrubs also love Arrested Development, and I never really loved that one, either. I am seeing a similar type of humor here). I'll also check out Dexter.

The one TV show I love is of course The Office, which has been brilliant this season, as it has been consistently since season 2. Any other fans? I feel about this show the way I saw Friends' fans react to that one- all giddy and into the actual characters in addition to the comedy. The difference is that Friends sucked, and this is really great.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back