• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

IPX from Infection (And later)

Sindatur

Regular
I always remembered that IPX was a well known Corporation and a Mega-Corp at that. I started rewatching S1 over the weekend, and I noticed in Infection, Stephen Franklin said to Dr Hendricks, something like "I checked out IPX, they don't exist" to which Dr. Hendricks replied back "They're a front..."

Is this something I just always had the wrong impression on (Most likely from reading "The Shadow Within") or was it changed after this episode to make IPX a real company?

Seemed to me like it was changed as the show went on. If Sheridan's wife worked for them, and there was a freakin TV commercial showing her ship leaving for IPX then it wasn't very secret and it wasn't a front by then. :)

I think it is one of those small continuity glitches.

Seemed to me like it was changed as the show went on. If Sheridan's wife worked for them, and there was a freakin TV commercial showing her ship leaving for IPX then it wasn't very secret and it wasn't a front by then. :)

I think it is one of those small continuity glitches.

Ah, of course, the advert for IPX showing the ship leaving, yea that pretty much clinches it. Thanks

An audio dub changing the name of the company in "Infection" would be the simplest way round it... mind you I think it's mentioned a few times, so perhaps not.

If JMS had just written all 110 episodes before filming, then this sort of thing wouldn't have happened.

:p

LOL, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, nor giddy that I found a continuity error, just wanted to be sure of my impression that I received from later in the story. We are extremely lucky how few problems the series has as a whole.

Good spot, although if you read one of the books (The Shadow Within ?) IPX, is obviously a front, although it is hardly 'non existent'. Maybe they grew up suddenly after that first early episode.

Someone on the newsgroup should take him to task over it ;)

It says nowhere that front-companies need to be small. Maybe IPX is a still front for the warfare division. As long as no-one knows of IPX's links to the warfare division that is no problem.

Disadvantage of such large companies is of course that they are more likely to be investigated by the press or would-be investors (assuming it's on the stock exchange). They might uncover what is going on. The advantage of using such a large company is that they can hire a lot of mercenaries/guards without it drawing suspicion, whereas that small corner store with 10 armed guards stands out. :D

My memory is hazy, did Anna Sheridan and the team that dug up the shadow vessel on Mars actually work for IPX or were those digs just funded by them? If the latter, is it possible that IPX started out as a shell company that the EA bioweapons division used to provide funding for archaeological expeditions and later went legit and expanded (around S2) to begin to employ bona fide archaeologists such as Elizabeth Trent and Max Eilerson directly?

Latest posts

Members online

Back