• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Spiderman 2 (SPOILERS)

Sinclair

I just got back from seeing Spiderman 2 and I think it's pretty good. It seemed to start off a little slow but it eventually picked up. Alfred Molina is an awesome Doctor Octopus. The character was well written and they pulled off the tentacles nicely. I prefer Doc Ock to the Green Goblin.

I was a little surprised to see Willem Dafoe return for a brief cameo. Seems as though it's going to be Harry as the villian in the next movie. I liked the way they set that up.

**Bigger spoiler if you read on***

It was also surprising to me that Mary Jane found out that Peter Parker and Spiderman are one and the same. I figured that wouldn't happen until later on down the road.

One thing that did disappoint me about it was that it seemed they were trying to make it a little too comical at times. Kind of reminded me of Batman Forever, however this movie was much better.

On a side note, the world of Babylon 5 was represented by a short role with Daniel Dae Kim as an assistant scientist.

Doctor Octopus rules! :cool:

I really liked it too. Overall, it was a very satisfying movie, even if the nitpicker in me found a few flaws here and there.

I was okay with there being less screen-time of Spider-Man actually in costume (at least it felt like less). Punching, fighting, web-slinging, etc. can only go so far. It's the interpersonal and everyday-life struggles of Peter Parker that create the real drama, and this movie does an amazing job painting Parker's life as being full of stress, guilt, impossible time management, unrequited love, and unbelievably bad luck.

Most comments and reviews I've read say Alread Molina is awesome as Doc Ock. For me he was satisfactory, but on first viewing, I don't think he stands out that much in my mind. I did really like him as Dr. Otto Octavius, but after the mech arms are fused to him, he just becomes another mad scientist under the control of his own invention.

However, as a character I do like Ock better than Goblin because he has an unmasked face. I think it helps to see the face of the villain. Since it looks obvious that Harry will take over as the Goblin in the third movie, I hope he either goes un-masked or has a modified, less bulky & mechanical-looking mask.

Some of the gems of the movie are the opening credits that summarize the first movie, the elevator scene, the violin plucker singing the Spider-Man theme, another great J.J. Jameson performance, MJ re-visiting the upside down kiss (but on a different person), and the almost "sitcomy" way of portraying Parker's return to a normal life as his powers fizzle. In fact, I think I'm glad the friend I went with had already seen it one time, because he was able to prompt me when to pay extra attention when a funny part was coming up.

I loved it. Its a rare gem for action movies these days, and sequels: a movie that actually focused on the character development.

The one thing that bothered me was the rediculous montage sequence complete with a freeze frame. What the hell? Did we suddenly trasnport back to the 1970's!?? Worst decision Sam Raimi's ever made, that was so rediculously out of place.

But other than that, I loved it. And I wasn't suprised that MJ found out about Parker in this movie. She had to for the story to go anywhere, otherwise it would be right where the story was at the end of the first film.

Do Kirtsen Dunst and James Franco get naked naked naked?

If so, I'd watch. :D Otherwise, I'm not. Spider-Man 1 was enough to kill any interest I have of this franchise.

Do Kirtsen Dunst and James Franco get naked naked naked?

If so, I'd watch. :D Otherwise, I'm not. Spider-Man 1 was enough to kill any interest I have of this franchise.
Is it rated "XXX"? :rolleyes:

Wow. Men really have no respect for women as people, do they. :rolleyes:

I watched it a few days ago and Loved it! Its great when a movie is equal or better than the predesesor (sp?). When watching this one, I had a feeling of actually watching a Sam Raimi film. There were cuts and edits and shots that I have seen him use in many of his other films.
To me Spiderman has always been more about the person behind the mask, not Spiderman himself. Spiderman is an average guy who has to work to pay rent, wash his clothes, buy groceries, etc. Even in the comics Peter Parker has incredibaly bad luck and timing. The movies are vaguely following the comic storyline. In the comic Mary Jane announces to Peter Parker that she had know for a long time that he was Spiderman. The set up with Harry was great. Insanity does run in the Osborne family (probably Ozzy's family too). I might see it again in a few weeks. I very rarely watch a movie twice in a theater.

Wow. Men really have no respect for women as people, do they.
I dont know what to say to that remark other than not all men are like that.

True, he did name one man.

I had just come from a brief viewing of threads in NC17. that is what inspired my little comment.

People in general seem to like this movie better thanthe first, which is indeed a rarity. I may have to check it ou some day. :)

Yes, I named "one man". And I also named one woman. By my accounts that makes it balanced.

Finding fault with what I said Hyp is stretching it, really stretching it. And I don't see why you found it deserved comment anyway. It's hardly like I was "Yeah, I wanna slap that Kirsten bitch up" or anything. I just jested that I would want nudity in the film to see it because, well, it doesn't have anything else of interest to me.

Loved it. There wasn't a whole lot of action but it was kinetic enough to make up for the difference.

Spoil

Boy Peter wasn't very good at keeping his secret this time. It did seem to work though. The only problem I have was Harry being a bit nutty at the end before taking the formula, pops wasn't nutty until after that was why the other scientist rejected it.

I wonder if the one armed Doctor Connor was just a throw away or set up as a secondary villian for next time.

I wonder if the one armed Doctor Connor was just a throw away or set up as a secondary villian for next time

I would love to see Doc Connor in the third movie. He would make an awsome villain.

If I recall accurately from the comics, Dr. Connor is the Lizard Man. He tries to regenerate his arm, and turns in to a bad lizard. Bet we see him in the future.

Loved the movie. In my opinion, it was maybe a bit better than the first one. Which is kinda unique this days. I liked the lift scene "cool spidey suit, is it comfortable?". And in the beginning "hey, spidey stole his pizzas!". The whole movie seemed balanced enough. I mean, there was humour, some excellent action moments, working dialogue etc.

Excellent summer flick.

Well, sitting in the second row of the theatre means, that by the end of the movie, one will have commited the pores on Tobey Maguire's face to memory.

This movie tries to be a more "character-driven" piece. It really shouldn't have been. I'm sorry, but seeing Spidey and Doc Ock tear up the place was a lot of fun, and I didn't get nearly enough of it. Instead, I got endless closeups of Tobey's mug. And this is coming from someone who finds Tobey attractive, I enjoyed seeing him shirtless.

Overall, I thought it was an okay movie. Good enough that I'll see number 3.

Seems as though it's going to be Harry as the villian in the next movie. I liked the way they set that up.

Yup. Did you notice that Harry's tie was green at the wedding? Caught that right away. ;)

Please please please let them redesign the mask. It didn't bother me as much as others during the first movie but it would be nice to see a little bit of face.

I saw this movie last weekend and thought it was a rehash of the previous Spiderman nothing new and interesting at least for me.They should have stopped at the first one.

Back